Protective gear

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Protective gear

Post by Old Hob »

Just how effective is the protective kit worn today? I note that both Julian Salvi and the bloke he collided with had head guards on and both ended up bloodied. More psychological than actual protection?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Protective gear

Post by mol2 »

Scrum caps stop the chafing & scrapes but won't do much for a significant impact.
Tiger lad

Post by Tiger lad »

Hi, can any one explain how the shirt technology works, I'm advised it supports the player during impacts. Also the small block inserted into the shirt between the shoulder blades. Is this a GPS and a type of impact measuring unit ?
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Tiger lad wrote:Hi, can any one explain how the shirt technology works, I'm advised it supports the player during impacts. Also the small block inserted into the shirt between the shoulder blades. Is this a GPS and a type of impact measuring unit ?
How dare you sir you have taken my name, this could become confusing..... :smt003
Tiger lad

Post by Tiger lad »

Sorry chap, I will obtain a new one!!!!!!!!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Well, this is some hijack :smt001

And now..
back to the topic?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
blocky_head7
Tiger Cub

Post by blocky_head7 »

Scrum caps will stop the little niggles and the cauliflower ears. However significant impact like the head on head collision Salvi had; if anyone can design any kind of protection to stop that hurting they will be millionaires within minutes!

In terms of the protective clothing, pads again are there just to help the little scrapes, like when players use studs to move them out of the way of the rucks. I'm a second row playing in lower leagues and tbh they don't really help. But it's nice to know when a player grabs my shirt and pulls it up my fine physique of a body is not on show to all those hoping to catch a glimpse.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiger lad wrote:Also the small block inserted into the shirt between the shoulder blades. Is this a GPS and a type of impact measuring unit ?
Good question it is definately a GPS device and all that is required to measure impact I propose would be a miniature integrated accelerometer?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

personally I think all head and body armour (except ear protection ) should be banned
I think it leads to more injury - because the contact becomes harder. Yet another law they changed - - not for the better!
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

the actual contact is on the forhead and a scrum cap dosent protect the whole of the forhead :smt045