Wasps game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps game

Post by tigerburnie »

Last play of the game,Wasps have the ball,but Smith hacks it up field,but Wasps still playing for a consolation but they knock on. Handbags at the end between the two front rows, consulting with the tmo if there's any foul play. Talking to Balmain and penalty Wasps, Manu pinches the ball and Tigers piling forwards but we knock on with another fight going on after the final whistle. 5 points
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Well played boys. Job done. Foot off the gas in the second half, but held stoutly for the most part, classly finish from Daly aside.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

A good win, shame about the niggle at the end.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

I appreciate that Wasps weren't at full strength but nevertheless that was a mostly very good performance. Great to see ball in hand rugby with the carrier supported for off loads / quick ball rather than kick to the opposition rugby. Tait just gets better and better, great to see Mafi back and the drop in intensity after the 4th try perfectly forgivable - not least because I had a cheeky flutter at HT on us winning by 16-20!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Really impressed with Tait stepping in at 10. Gives us an extra dimension I feel. Allen tore it up in the first half, and our second rows were both outstanding. Crane really is coming into form too and is starting to add the little extra bits (that we know he has) into his game recently. Did an excellent job of linking things together as well as his usual graft. Another try for Thompstone too.

All have a great shot at touring in the summer.

Finally, welcome back Steeeeeeve!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Impressive display, job done etc. There was some v. impressive offensive play today and hopefully it will continue, although Wasps were v. poor in defence. Tait, Allen, Slater and Crane were superb, must be said that RC has finally got the best out of Tait and Crane after some frustrating performances earlier this season. Morris and Thompstone continue to impress while Hawkins and Kitchener did well in the absence of T. Youngs and Parling. Great to see Mafi back. Only area for real concern was Floody’s goal-kicking but I’m sure he’ll sort it out- he picked the day to have a shocker though!!

Balmain struggled a bit in the scrum which is worrying but hopefully Logo will be fit, missing both Ayerza and Boris is a big blow. Fraser may fair better with Cole at TH as Castro, once again, was not his old self.

If the late withdrawals today are back fit then I expect Tigers to win fairly comfortably next weekend. RC may rotate/ rest given the cushion over Quins is 8 points, but I’d be highly surprised if it was anything other than a first choice side.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I thought in the first 20 minutes, Allen was absolutely superb. Quick runs here and there, finding all the gaps, it was great to watch. Always liked Hawkins and thought he had a great game and I think he is by far the better hooker at the line out.
Tait was also very impressive as was Morris and Slater. All in all you can only plat what is put in front of you and we did it with exceptional ease. OK we let them back into it in the later stages but hey... they were never going to get that close to us, and why would we want to exert too much energy when the game was won and 5 tries in the bag?

In the closing seconds, I thought it looked like the Wasp player (not sure who it was) put his studs on Manu's face with a bit more force than a misplaced step. No wonder a few handbags were thrown. Anyone else see it like that?
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Never saw what started the incident even though it happened directly in front of me as I was watching the ball on the other side of the field.

However, Simpson needs his head examined - would you really front up to Manu if you were in your right mind? :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

End of the first half we were pinged after the Assistant Ref in front of the CAT stuck his oar in. Not entirely sure what the penalty was for as I didn't see JP Doyle indicate anything, but Wasps got the penalty.

It may have been for Flood retaliating to something/someone, didn't see it as play had moved on....and so had my eyes. (Haven't watched the recording back).

But in the lull as we were awaiting the Ref's decision, Cockers was waiting on the steps, leaning on the wall behind us, on his way to the dressing room at HT. Someone shouted towards Stuart Barnes to ask what it was for, and Cockers dryly interjected, with a shrug of the shoulders....."We've scored too many points this half"

Thought about saying "We'd've scored more if Floody could kick straight"...but thought better of it! :smt003

Great result today, lots of effort from lots of players. A few minor mistakes/flaps but with the game 'in the bag' I think it was wise to rest some of the players.

It would be nice to secure a home-semi by demolishing Barf in their own back yard in two weeks time. Then Gary Gold, Toby Booth et al can have a chat with someone about Ford.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

WhitecapTiger wrote:It would be nice to secure a home-semi by demolishing Barf in their own back yard in two weeks time. Then Gary Gold, Toby Booth et al can have a chat with someone about Ford.
I hope so to and the bonus is you will only have to wait 6 days its Sat 20th vs Bath :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

I thought it was one of our best performances of the season . Recycling was slicker, off loading better - all in all much better. Youngs is improving by the game - especially box kicking. Am I happy tonight ? You bet I am !!! :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Awesome 50 mins of top European standard rugby. The crucial bits were the rucks and our recycling plus the speed of attack from all concerned.
We lost our shape a bit later on and got bossed in the scrums but I think our weakness at LH was exposed - if Brookes was fit enough he may have been better than Balmain.
I thought Tait was utterly superb, YBY likewise.
My forst visit since Ospreys due to illness. Now totally hoarse!!!! :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sapajo wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:It would be nice to secure a home-semi by demolishing Barf in their own back yard in two weeks time. Then Gary Gold, Toby Booth et al can have a chat with someone about Ford.
I hope so to and the bonus is you will only have to wait 6 days its Sat 20th vs Bath :smt023
Cheers sapajo :smt044 that is a bonus :smt023 for some reason I got it in my head it was a non-playing weekend next week....must've been because of Louis Deacon's testimonial / Legends game on the Sunday.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I actually thought after a tricky start, Balmain actually did quite a destructive job at LH, and if anything it was Castro who was creaking. Like the look of Balmain, does his job well in the set piece, and is a willing carrier in the loose.
Starting front row, rock solid, worked hard.
Second rows were absolute machines, huge workrate and some real aggressive carrying.
Back row had some good balance. Mafi not quite up to his pre injury rampaging best, but still pretty damn effective. Salvi, usually high standards. Crane, actually starting to find the form he showed a few years back for the Saxons, carrying hard to the line, and showing some class and subtlety with his distribution.
Half backs ran the show without ever getting out of breath.
Allen was immaculate in defence and attack. Manu could have moved the ball rather than driving into contact a bit more (late offload was nice), but still a handful either way.
Back three worked well as a unit. Worked hard covering in defence, and offered some quality in attack. Thompstone has been a real good signing, and Morris oozes class and assurance, so confident and calm in possession. Tait is really finding some form, starting to look like a genuine Tiger.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wow, since the return of our internationals the backs have gelled and at last they are a truly lethal weapon. Moreover our forwards are now unloading rather than taking the contact and going to ground. Crane is a revelation with his repeated gain line breaks and his subtle offloads. We are a transformed team and its so exciting and just a pleasure to behold, we are peaking at the crunch of the season. I have a really positive feeling that we can now go all the way injuries permitting. Losing Marcus is a major blow and we need some good luck to see us through. We will always keep the faith :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity