Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anglo-Welsh league, anyone?

Post by loretta »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21997962

Not for me. AP is alive and kicking, this seems to be a proposition which would really only benefit one side.

But you can just see the logic. Welsh regions having problems raising capital, only fill the stands when playing the English, let's have a league when we can do it every other week!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anglo-Welsh league, anyone?

Post by Hull Fan »

I wonder if the Welsh would be happy to have to qualify for the European Cup, whatever form this may take? :smt017
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

As Loretta says, I can only see this as being beneficial to the west side of Offa's Dyke.

If it went ahead, it would mean an extended season (maybe 6-8 weeks) and would be detrimental to the Championship clubs trying to gain promotion. I don't think attendances would be significantly changed in England and I don't think the Scots, Irish and Italians would like the Welsh leaving the Rabo.

As usual, the Welsh want everything their own way, but when it's money they're after, they come whining to the English with their hands out.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

While the AP is working well at the moment it does need further development. A tie up for an Anglo-Welsh league could work but the wider ramifications have to be looked at! How would it affect the Celtic league and the development of the game in Italy, which needs strengthening for everyone's sake.

I think the likes of Munster and Leinester would benefit in terms of HC because their league would become even more meaningless and it might lead them to call for inclusion.

So an Anglo Welsh league will have implications for all the six nations, apart from France, and could destroy the domestic game in Scotland and Italy in particular.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If we are talking of an upgraded LV type knock out then that's fine, too late to think of joining the Premiership,they'll have to join lower down and qualify. I used to love the Anglo-Welsh games in the past, a trip to the Arms Park was one of the seasons highlights.As far as gates are concerned, I think we would get better gates against the likes of the Scarlets,"O's" or Blues than we do against the likes of Sale or the Pests and you'd get more away fans than the Sorries can manage to bribe to come.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

smalldell wrote:So an Anglo Welsh league will have implications for all the six nations, apart from France, and could destroy the domestic game in Scotland and Italy in particular.
The game in Scotland is quite healthy and not just in the borders, it's just that there is a dislike for the "franchise" system in place.
Tha Anglo-Irish competition for the Championship level seems to be well supported and good easily be enhanced.
You could have a European league for the likes of clubs from Italy,Spain,Portugal,Russia,Georgia,Romania etc
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Off Piste Tiger

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

Not interested.

An Anglo French league. Yes please. When the Heineken Cup falls apart at the end of the current deal we will end up with an Anglo French Cup and eventually a league.

We need the Rabo less than they need us. :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would guess that if the Heineken does end, then that will be replaced with an Anglo / French competition.
I also guess that the Welsh might see that and fancy being part of the action.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Be careful what you wish for Mr. Duckworth!

If such a league was formed, if would have to have 2 divisions - we cannot cope with even more matches.

Worcester would most likely be in the second.

The best answer would be a full European league with divisions and promotion/relegation for 2 teams each season - and a salary cap for all or none at all.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

MelChannerFan wrote:The best answer would be a full European league with divisions and promotion/relegation for 2 teams each season - and a salary cap for all or none at all.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm an EEC of rugby, not sure I would like that sounds fraught with danger,instead of a butter mountain we could end up with a mountain of centres or even hookers........ :smt004
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

MelChannerFan wrote:The best answer would be a full European league with divisions and promotion/relegation for 2 teams each season - and a salary cap for all or none at all.
Do you have shares in an airline company? I certainly could not afford the time and money to attend away matches if it meant travelling all over Europe.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I can't see any benefit in this for the English clubs. The Welsh clubs would be happy for a year or two until three of them are relegated - at which point they'll go begging back to the Rabo only to find they've added more Scottish and Italian teams and no longer have space for them.

It's a bargaining tactic from both sides - the Welsh clubs in their fallout with the WRU and the English clubs in their ERC negotiations.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Anglo- Welsh league ?? Rabo refs - Owens refreeing everyweek, English sides would never win a penalty never mind a match.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

In a word - no :smt018
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Actually, its not such a bad thought.

We would get to scrap the LV cup as a result and use those weekends for the extra league matches in an extended 16-team league.

Two up / two down each year with automatic promotion / relegation for 1 team - so scrapping stupid playoffs in the championship for the winners & making it more interesting for the next 3 championship teams, plus the bottom but one in the Prem to go through playoffs.

It bebefits the championship as there would be two opportunities to get into the Prem; and the welsh, as it gives them decent games week in/week out; and the Prem, as it would be more competitive all round.

I think that could work ! (But I don't expect it to happen .... )