Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: The salary cap

Post by drc_007 »

h's dad wrote:
DickyP wrote:
h's dad wrote:.... I don't think the Irish have a cap - they just don't have any money.
They're richer than anyone outside of the French clubs with 'sugar-daddies'. Hugely subsidised by the IRFU and tax breaks our players can only dream of.
h's dad wrote:Of course I could have it all wrong and await correction.
Ditto.
Thanks DickyP. I don’t know where I got my thoughts from. Probably the general economic deterioration over there and Jonathan Sexton’s move to France. Bit of an excessive extrapolation :smt011 (that's probably not even the right smilie for apologetic embarrassment).
Just a few points of clarification.
The tax breaks are only available to those playing in the south, they are not specific to rugby players as I understand it rock groups like U2 can also take advantage of it.

Not all the regions are treated equally, Connacht are certainly the poor relations. The regions can supplement the income of players with local sponsorship, my Munster friends tell me that Leinster have access to considerably more monies than the other regions. That said the financial situation in Ireland is pretty dire and I'm not surprised to see it have an impact.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

IIRC, I may not, but wasn't the Marquee player only allowed a maximum of 350,000? Can't remember if it was Euros or Sterling
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
JoeMercer'sWay

Post by JoeMercer'sWay »

On a side note how are we actually meant to compete next weekend against Toulon? Look at their squad!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Toulonnais#2012.2F13

Props: Chilachava, Hayman, G Jenkins, Kubriashvilli, Sheridan.
Hooker: Bruno.
Locks: Botha, Kennedy, Rossouw, Shaw, Suta.
Flanker: Elsom, Armitage, Masoe.
No8: Lobbe, Van Niekerk.

SH: Durand, Tillous-Borde.
FH: Giteau, Wilkinson, Michalak.
Centre: Armitage, Basteauraud, Mermoz.
Wing: Palisson, Rooney.
FB: Armitage, Lapeyre.

They could field 2 World class teams and they have Habana from next season! how can the RFU or European Rugby sit there and say this is fair? It was bad enough playing Leinster in the final and they had Rocky running the show.

It's like sending our England lads over there for a Lions trial before going off down under in the summer there's so many star imports in there.

Ridiculous.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

JoeMercer'sWay wrote:On a side note how are we actually meant to compete next weekend against Toulon? Look at their squad!

Ridiculous.
Only 15 can be on the pitch and teamwork and desire to win count for a lot.

Nothing more motivating than a chance to take down a supposed "superior" team.

Remember

Leicester Tigers 22 South Africa 17
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I can't see Toulon having a better team spirit than us. Despite Tait's excellent performance today I will still feel more comfortable if Geordan is at full back. I found Cockers interview after the game interesting, the fact he said 'there's nothing Leicester boys like doing more than fighting their way out of corners' makes me feel strangely confident. I just think that our boys will want this one more than Toulon and if we can play like we did yesterday I think we will win. I know Toulon will be a massively more challenging team than Northampton will be but we can do it.
Believe in the team!

COME :smt027 ON :smt027 YOU :smt027 TIGEERRRRRRS
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

There are still hints and inuendos from all quarters about the Saracens wage bill. Austin alluded to it last week and in this morning's DT, Brian More says "the depth of their squad gives their director of rugby, Mark McCall, tactical options that other clubs must envy".