Sarries synthetic pitch..

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Sarries synthetic pitch..

Post by barwelltiger »

Watching the sarries quins match and the pitch looks really good, do you reckon it will catch on? I personally hope so
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Sarries synthetic pitch..

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I hope not IMO, call me a traditionalist or what, I've payed on synthetic and the amount of turned ankles and knees is a major cause for concern for me, there's simply no give; a point particularly emphasised by Oz in today's commentary, progress should not be made to progresses sake. Under soil heating and a good groundsman/ground staff can produce a brilliant quality pitch to rival the positives Saffacens claim about their plastic pitch.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugby is a game played under all sorts of conditions both in the air and underfoot. Therein lies the beauty. Artificial pitches take one variable out.
So many repeat the mantra about running rugby, but look to the SH where matches with running rugby also contain little defence and often inconsequential setpieces. A monster slog in dire conditions can be staggeringly tense and dramatic sport.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

IMO the main advantage of the plastic pitch is that it's usable all week long without fear of ruining it for match day so it makes the stadium much more accessible for local schools etc. It's an ungodly eyesore and the in-goal area is the size of my window boxes but in a climate that seems intent on drowning us all it is nice to watch an actual game of rugby rather than a 30-man mud fight.
Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

There is a plastic 4g pitch near to me. It is the home of a very old rugby club in the area. The one thing I notice from all the teams from under 12's to First team is that because of the skin burns the players get, that they all seem to tackle higher than the visiting teams.
Watch Sarries and see if you can spot them making high tackles.
Oh I think Ashton has started already. :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Will Fraser had a cracking burn on his cheek, probably when he scored his try.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

jgriffin wrote:Rugby is a game played under all sorts of conditions both in the air and underfoot. Therein lies the beauty. Artificial pitches take one variable out.
So many repeat the mantra about running rugby, but look to the SH where matches with running rugby also contain little defence and often inconsequential setpieces. A monster slog in dire conditions can be staggeringly tense and dramatic sport.
I agree, not that I am going back to jumpers for goal posts, but roofs on grounds and plastic grass just isn't the same game somehow.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Off Piste Tiger

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

The Saints seemed to get on well on the artificial pitch on Sunday. I read they had been preparing on a local artificial pitch. I wonder were it is ?
Tiggger

Post by Tiggger »

Off Piste Tiger wrote:The Saints seemed to get on well on the artificial pitch on Sunday. I read they had been preparing on a local artificial pitch. I wonder were it is ?
It was at Tresham College, so would that be at Kettering or Corby? I think they have astro pitches at both centres.
Johnno is God!!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I am by no means a purist but rugby is a winter game played outdoors on grass.
Until artificial grass is much the same as the real stuff then I'mnot in favour of it.

At least the pitch Sarries have got is near enough to need studs.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

If playing on decent artificial pitches means we don't go for summer rugby then they can't be bad thing. To me rugby is the only thing that makes winter bearable, and in summer I've got lots of other things to do - like riding roller coasters my other big hobby.

Anyway I've always wondered about the urge for summer rugby - it'll either be too hot or, more likely, too wet anyway to make it any better.

Winter rugby isn't bad - just different: I've always said I'd love to see the Rugby World Cup played in UK in February and march - then let's see how well the SH teams do!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Artificial pitch, artificial team, artificial concept of what a successful rugby club should be. I was on the point of reaching for a sick bag when I saw their 'guard of honour' on Sunday.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

First game in the wet & I thought it seemed quite greasy & slippy
Pip
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Here's the after match reaction at Sarries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3f7UP_uoyY