Tigers vs. Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs. Chiefs

Post by rocktop51 »

I think in his post match interview Parling said it was Croft who caught the ball but I may be mistaken.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I about had an heart attack when we carried on playing. Was pure stupidity.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

This time last season our game was fast and free flowing yet now we are severely constipated and its painful to watch. What medicine will work to relieve the blockage as we need to take some effective potion quickly :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

This time last year the pitches were firm and dry.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tomvarndell wrote:This time last year the pitches were firm and dry.

Nice to know its that simple! So come some good weather we will be witnessing try bonus point victories :smt023
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I was at the game yesterday (cheers for the company Northants and your chum, made my day). I have to admit though pleased with the result, I was far from pleased with the performance. I struggle to understand those who said there those of our players who stood out, felt you were watching another game, but that's your opinion, I've never been critical of Toby but yesterday he was rattled, particularly the kicking from hand. I can't say I saw stand out performances from Tigers, and I think that was to do with Chiefs excellent defence, out best move was when Baxter took Thomas off.

The Chiefs fans around us said we didn't look right, and something was missing, they fully expected the boys to come back with something to prove, and that the close game they predicted was all hype. After yesterday they felt they were the unlucky ones to come away with just a losing bonus, and I have to agree.

I don't know what's wrong at present and don't profess to know, but our performances aren't tallying up. From a highlight yesterday, have to say I'm impressed with Chief's young player Jack Nowell. I think the premiership will see a lot more of him in the next few years
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:I was at the game yesterday (cheers for the company Northants and your chum, made my day). I have to admit though pleased with the result, I was far from pleased with the performance. I struggle to understand those who said there those of our players who stood out, felt you were watching another game, but that's your opinion, I've never been critical of Toby but yesterday he was rattled, particularly the kicking from hand. I can't say I saw stand out performances from Tigers, and I think that was to do with Chiefs excellent defence, out best move was when Baxter took Thomas off.

The Chiefs fans around us said we didn't look right, and something was missing, they fully expected the boys to come back with something to prove, and that the close game they predicted was all hype. After yesterday they felt they were the unlucky ones to come away with just a losing bonus, and I have to agree.

I don't know what's wrong at present and don't profess to know, but our performances aren't tallying up. From a highlight yesterday, have to say I'm impressed with Chief's young player Jack Nowell. I think the premiership will see a lot more of him in the next few years

Tend to agree with your very perceptive comments something is not right with Tigers. At this stage of the season we should now be putting in some cohesive 80 min performances especially given the fact that we have so many quality international players back in the fold. Saints I believe will be the season defining match and we must be turn up and finally perform to our undoubted potential.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

sapajo wrote:

Tend to agree with your very perceptive comments something is not right with Tigers. At this stage of the season we should now be putting in some cohesive 80 min performances especially given the fact that we have so many quality international players back in the fold. Saints I believe will be the season defining match and we must be turn up and finally perform to our undoubted potential.
You need to be training and playing together for a few games to be cohesive and Tigers have not had the benefit of this due to the six nations. If we can eek out some victories in the next two games and avoid injuries I think we will start to become more cohesive towards the end of the season. I just hope that the next couple of weeks do not leave us with too much to do.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:I was at the game yesterday (cheers for the company Northants and your chum, made my day). I have to admit though pleased with the result, I was far from pleased with the performance. I struggle to understand those who said there those of our players who stood out, felt you were watching another game, but that's your opinion, I've never been critical of Toby but yesterday he was rattled, particularly the kicking from hand. I can't say I saw stand out performances from Tigers, and I think that was to do with Chiefs excellent defence, out best move was when Baxter took Thomas off.

Things haven't been right for months. The Tigers are getting found out at nearly every game - no plan B it would appear. As other side are cranking it up the Tigers seem to be plodding along scraping through to a win or tow here and there.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Been saying that for yonks, dissing MOC and getting routinely insulted by some. There is certainly something missing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

jgriffin wrote:Been saying that for yonks, dissing MOC and getting routinely insulted by some. There is certainly something missing.
I'm your ally on this JG, been smashed for honesty on this thread already by the usual suspects!

Lets face it we were coached poorly all round the park yesterday. Castro looked very off the pace. Marler today was pummeled in the scrum again!!
Last edited by WiggoTiger on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
os99

Post by os99 »

jgriffin wrote:Been saying that for yonks, dissing MOC and getting routinely insulted by some. There is certainly something missing.
Support Saracens then there's something special happening there!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

[quote="jgriffin"]Been saying that for yonks, dissing MOC and getting routinely insulted by some. There is certainly something missing.[/quote

Why cant people just discuss the game and performances or otherwise of players without the usual dig at the coaches. I think it is well documented what peoples views are on the Coaches without people dragging their 'old chestnuts' out at every opportunity. I think my tool is pretty impressive but I think people would be a bit miffed if I dragged it out at every opportunity :smt015 :smt015
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I don't know if it's coaching or just the basic set up of the backs but they are capable of some good stuff as has been proved on occasions. When I look at Allen and Manu together I sometimes think that they could do with swapping positions and then other times they look fine. Personally I would go for Manu at 12 as being at 13 is giving the opposition more time to adjust for him and double up. If teams are going to double up on him I would suggest that hitting the 10/12 channel on the inside or 12/13 channel on the outside would work better. Get the ball to him quicker and create more of a blitz on the opposition. Allen has also started to come onto offloads very well and he seems to have worked on his pace, he looks quicker than 18 months ago IMO! I have seen suggestion's that Tait would be better on one wing, that could work. Morris does seem to like coming on the outside so I can see why he is preferred on the wing but that natural eye for the outside could be used from full back. Manu at 12 could change everything IMO! We could see Flood and others coming on the inside, Allen outside, Morris on the overlap from full back with Thompstone and Tait picking the holes. We would be far more dangerous IMO!
Cheery chappy
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

I could cut and paste from the last dozen games or so - we are not as fluent as we should be. So I get that the coaches put the strategy together about how we are going to play and work on that week in week out, so maybe there is something wrong there, or it isn't being communicated properly. A lot of us on this forum would have played rugby to a standard or other, some higher than others I would suspect ! I was wondering what the tactics for the game at Sandy Park would have been. We know that Exeter will scrap for their lives so we'd obviously have to front up in the forwards. The "D" would have to be exceptional, line speed in defence etc and there was clearly some thought that went into the conditions, perhaps as brutal as staying within range regarding points going into the wind and then using the boot to pin the Chiefs back in the second half. Keeping the ball would obviously be key, because when go through the phases, eventually gaps appear and you take advantage of them (Tait missed an opportunity there).

One ingredient that is rarely mentioned is that you have to play what is in front of you. You can coach players with drills and exercises to improve peripheral vision, improve reaction times under pressure etc and to "scan" before making a decision, but ultimately, the coaches aren't allowed on the pitch so can't make these decisions for the players.

Tait goes himself - his decision
Flood kicks aimlessly down field - his decision

A couple of examples there. I'm not saying that the coaches don't have any responsibility for the way we play, all I'm doing is putting it out there that collectively, we don't appear to have much confidence or the nous to go through the gears at the moment. Don't forget, this is the same coaching team that thrilled us with a superb run of bonus point wins last season. Ok, ultimately it came to nothing but we were pretty superb during that run - Cockers and MoC presided over that don't forget.

Having watched the Sarries v Quins game today, although we can compete with these sides they have the X Factor, someone who can turn a game in a second and they seem to have a few extra gears than us across the pitch.

We also look tired, which is a worry.