BBC commentary

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

BBC commentary

Post by Phil B »

Becoming increasingly frustrated at the joy expressed by BBC Commentators whenever Wales play well, I was pleased yesterday to see Jonathan Davies sent up to the stand "out of the way", and off main commentary. Short lived euphoria though as his replacement was equally biased and I guess the producer had to prod the pair of them to say "they" rather than "we" when referring to Wales.

Maybe it’s time for Wales to have their own commentary, and maybe we can have one of our own, but biased towards the English.

Maybe an unbiased commentary might be a cheaper solution, but let's not get fanciful eh?
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: BBC commentary

Post by Purebob »

What would an "English biased" commentator have found to say about England yesterday ? Farrells haircut was smart ? Shirts were nice and white ? :D
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

An unbiased commentator would have said how poor we were - I have no problem with the Comnnentators congratulating good play, (by Wales, onviously, credit to them) but when it's done in such a way as to suggest that it is "their team" that's playing well, it annoys me. If it's their team, declare you interest and go and cheer in the stand.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

All commentators are bound to have some bias towards their home nation, even the late Bill McClaren got a bit that way,especially when his family were playing.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

The simple answer is to have the main commentator a neutral flanked by an assistant from each country playing! The BBC needs to bring some fresh faces to their rugby coverage.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Last point, and then I'll shut up - it's a matter of degree. For me they overstep the line.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Couldn't care less I watch it for the rugby. We were absent without permission. Blown away. Bearing in mind that the commentary positions are in the stand your would expect the commentators to be excited by the atmosphere.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Very frustrated by commentary, possibly to the good?
Noise of crowd completely drowned out their voices.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

BBC is an anachronistic, patronising organisation that should have been shut down some time ago. In the meantime if they could at least take Butler and Guscott out the back and please dispose of them in some way or another the world would be a better place.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I usually turn the volume down to a dull murmur, prefer to watch what's in front of me without being told what I am looking at or given asides by the commentators, whoever they are.

Whilst watching with commentary down though, I have thought I heard Dan Lydiate being called "a damned idiot" and was sure for a moment that yesterday someone referred to Wales having Justin Timberlake playing for them. Maybe I just need my hearing checked :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Laughs out loud. :smt039
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

At least Eddie Butler is consistent and clear. Pretty sure that at the final whistle yesterday I heard him say 'WE've done it'. There's no such thing as a commentary without bias, so I'd rather it was obvious. Whether he's a good commentator or not is a different matter.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Phil B wrote:Becoming increasingly frustrated at the joy expressed by BBC Commentators whenever Wales play well, I was pleased yesterday to see Jonathan Davies sent up to the stand "out of the way", and off main commentary. Short lived euphoria though as his replacement was equally biased and I guess the producer had to prod the pair of them to say "they" rather than "we" when referring to Wales.

Maybe it’s time for Wales to have their own commentary, and maybe we can have one of our own, but biased towards the English.

Maybe an unbiased commentary might be a cheaper solution, but let's not get fanciful eh?
Brian Moore is regularly commentating and is equally biased when he gets excited. No other commentator would scream "YOU IDIOT!" at Haskell, they would simply state the mistake that's been made.

And I agree, Bill Mclaren was equally biased. I'm Welsh but loved hearing Bills outrageous commentary. It doesn't affect the outcome of the game, so just roll your eyes at it and let it go.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

To me(English)Bill Maclaren was THE voice of the championship and I always loved his work.

Brian Moore I quite like, because his enthusiasm gets the better of him and will criticise England when they deserve it.

But Eddie Butler is just a one eyed Bigot and makes his hatred of all things English come though in his commentary.

I do quite like a bit of bias in the coverage and I do like Jonathan Davies from the Welsh POV. But EB just is too extreme.
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

There is no-one more biased than Jon Inverdale and Guscott, particularly Inverdale. It doesn't matter which teams are playing, he is always harping back to England.