Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: England team's up!

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

sapajo wrote:
I am firmly in your camp think its criminal that BY and TF the best half back pairing in England are not starting, its all down to SL capitulating to the so called rugby pundits demands and clammerings for DC to start. Its about time SL stood up and be counted and play the best half back combination and not bend in the wind just to appease DC and the media! Case in point was dropping TY for Hartley and we all know that was a disaster and Ben has done nothing to deserve being dumped on the bench. :smt013

Not happy rant over (for now)
Could it not be that with no disrespect to Italy, SL thinks he would like to see DC playing with TF in what should be the easier game? After all, he needs to see how all his options can play. We all know YBY is a class act but you do need to know how your back up players can perform. If it does go pear shaped, he can always use his subs.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Seven changes for Italy, I think England can win with some style.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21718069
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Happy with the team. Would have liked us to try a new winger though. Would have liked to see Youngs and Flood together too, but Care deserves some gametime. Italy seem to have an eye on Ireland. Would think England would coast home.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Could someone remind me which other wingers could be brought in if wanted?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

In the most recent 36 there is Strettle (who has looked in good nick recently) and Foden, though I think people were hoping to see May, Sharples or Wade.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Darc Tiger wrote:In the most recent 36 there is Strettle (who has looked in good nick recently) and Foden, though I think people were hoping to see May, Sharples or Wade.
So, can Saxon squad members be drafted in and if so who would then be included?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

It really does worry me that Ashton is selected given that he has started all three games so far and has done almost nothing in each of the three games. It suggests that no one is knocking on the door to get the shirt ahead of him although why Wade is not worth a go beats me.
Always a Tiger
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm pleased that Vunipola has been selected at loose head - the Italian pack is impressive and if fit Castro would likely munch Marler in the scrum.

It's probably a good idea to rest YBY - he'll be needed for a much bigger game in Cardiff and the Flood-Youngs half back combo is established enough not to need a work out.

I'm still unhappy about the 2 full backs & 1 wing selection and I'd have like to see 36 starting with Manu in the centres. Manu will create space by committing defenders, even without the ball, and I think 36 will be better at exploiting that space, either himself or with his passing ability.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

mol2 wrote:I'm pleased that Vunipola has been selected at loose head - the Italian pack is impressive and if fit Castro would likely munch Marler in the scrum.
It will be a big test for Vunipola, but if he comes through it well and the England scrum is steady against a good Italian pack, then he could well cement his place in the starting XV.
mol2 wrote:It's probably a good idea to rest YBY - he'll be needed for a much bigger game in Cardiff and the Flood-Youngs half back combo is established enough not to need a work out.
Agree with this point - we all know what YBY and Floody can do together - time to give Care some game time and keep the pressure and rivalry on between the two of them - this can only be a good thing for England. And YBY will likely get 20 mins off the bench to show what he can do....
mol2 wrote:I'm still unhappy about the 2 full backs & 1 wing selection and I'd have like to see 36 starting with Manu in the centres. Manu will create space by committing defenders, even without the ball, and I think 36 will be better at exploiting that space, either himself or with his passing ability.
Defensively - especially kicking, I think the 2 fullbacks idea is working well (we use it a lot at Tigers with Scotty or Morris on the right wing and I think it works for us too!). It also negates (to a degree) the need for a back 3 option on the bench - which leads on to your second point. 12trees will likely make an appearance off the bench in the Italy game, as I think SL wants to see what he can do for England as much as we all do! Unless there are injury issues, this will also likely be at Barritt's expense, so I would like to think that you will get your wish to see the 36-Manu combo wreaking havoc in the Italian midfield come Sunday :smt023
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I'm a bit concerned by the inconsistency being shown here. If SL thinks it is a good idea to give a start to Vunipoloa (he needs a run out anyway to lose some of that flab) and Care then why does it make sense not to start Twelvetrees and another Winger, e.g. Foden so see how they do?

I'm also not sure of the point of having Burns on the bench rather than a winger. I thought Burns was poor last week for Glos, both in open play and off the tee.

I just get a feeling with SL that he has his favourites (anyone from Lancashire it seems)and so Ashton is still in even though he's just a petulant flat track bully. Hate to go on about this but I really don't like him and think he'll be a liability against the better teams going forwards.

Hopefully Croft will not get broken.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

tigerburnie wrote:I think Italy getting their leader back will lift them and he is still one of the worlds great number 8's, still think England will win this one.
Possibly going to Murrayfield to watch the Welsh game,look out for a Tigers shirt.. :smt002
Well I really hope that you remember your binoculars and that the weather is clear! Was only thinking this morning about booking my tickets to Austria to watch the lions! :smt002
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Darc Tiger wrote:Happy with the team. Would have liked us to try a new winger though. Would have liked to see Youngs and Flood together too, but Care deserves some gametime. Italy seem to have an eye on Ireland. Would think England would coast home.
Care deserves a start. I hope he has the sense this time to not get isolated when going for glory, his only error IMO. Both wingers need a really good performance having to deal with North and Cuthbert next week.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Snowed in and will be sat in front of the telly with a wee dram, "COME ON ENGLAND"
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.