Poor support for team at WR

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Poor support for team at WR

Post by MrPartridge »

I'm probably going to get hammered for this comment, but where was the support last night from the fans? Frankly, the atmosphere inside the ground was awful. OK there were a few celebrations after our excellent second try, but other than that a few muffled cries of 'Tigers' were hardly going to inspire a team playing one of the most important matches of the season.

From our view from a very quiet terrace, the Crumbie were sedated and the CAT stand almost asleep. Plenty also left with 10 minutes for go. The lack of atmosphere has been an almost constant theme at WR games this season. The Saints game particularly lacked passion.

I appreciate fans pay their money and can opt to do whatever they like in the stadium, but we seem to have forgotten the need to cheer our team on, unsettle the opposition and give the players a lift.

Do members of the forum agree or disagree? How can we bring a bit more banter and atmosphere back into home games? As the most successful team in English Rugby are we now inundated with day-trippers to the ground munching on prawn sandwiches and not bothering to help get behind the team?

If I think back to the night game v South Africa a few years ago... transfer that atmosphere to the game last night and I have no doubt we would have won...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Poor support for team at WR

Post by sapajo »

MrPartridge wrote:I'm probably going to get hammered for this comment, but where was the support last night from the fans? Frankly, the atmosphere inside the ground was awful. OK there were a few celebrations after our excellent second try, but other than that a few muffled cries of 'Tigers' were hardly going to inspire a team playing one of the most important matches of the season.

From our view from a very quiet terrace, the Crumbie were sedated and the CAT stand almost asleep. Plenty also left with 10 minutes for go. The lack of atmosphere has been an almost constant theme at WR games this season. The Saints game particularly lacked passion.

I appreciate fans pay their money and can opt to do whatever they like in the stadium, but we seem to have forgotten the need to cheer our team on, unsettle the opposition and give the players a lift.

Do members of the forum agree or disagree? How can we bring a bit more banter and atmosphere back into home games? As the most successful team in English Rugby are we now inundated with day-trippers to the ground munching on prawn sandwiches and not bothering to help get behind the team?

If I think back to the night game v South Africa a few years ago... transfer that atmosphere to the game last night and I have no doubt we would have won...

Fair comment. I think that our overwhelming expectation to win every game has resulted in complacency which coupled with some indifferent home performances has subdued the atmosphere and the supporters.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Think you were at a different match to me. OK it wasn't like the Toulouse game but then again neither was the performance but the applause cheering was pretty good until the last 5-10 minutes.

The only question is which caused which the poor performance dimming the enthusiasm or lack of support affecting the players? From where I was sat it was very much the former.

One thing I did notice was that several family groups near me with younger children left at half time: presumably because of the cold and/or time.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

From where i was standing the atmosphere was quite good considering the time of the game.

I have to say it was expected that people would leave early because of the time.

I think there was alot of clock watching going on last night and I dont mean the match clock.
I had to leave early to catch the last train back. This isnt the fault of the supporters but the people who organised this time!
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Perception is that we are only allowed two 'chants' one of which, "Tiiigers" quite frankly is the dullest chant in the world. The reason the crowd fail more and more often than not to get an atmosphere going is because they become bored very quickly of our two options of chanting! We need more!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Northenlad wrote:Perception is that we are only allowed two 'chants' one of which, "Tiiigers" quite frankly is the dullest chant in the world. The reason the crowd fail more and more often than not to get an atmosphere going is because they become bored very quickly of our two options of chanting! We need more!
Welcome your suggestions but please nothing to complicated or else it will never get going :smt023
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Northenlad wrote:Perception is that we are only allowed two 'chants' one of which, "Tiiigers" quite frankly is the dullest chant in the world. The reason the crowd fail more and more often than not to get an atmosphere going is because they become bored very quickly of our two options of chanting! We need more!
I agree.We may be the best supported club in the country but we certainly lack atmosphere.We have become very stagnant.We need to create a match day atmosphere that will intimidate the opposition and inspire our lads.One of the best club atmospheres i can remember is at Ulster,really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Even 10,000 supporters at Sandy park create a better atmosphere then what we do.

I'm sure 20,000+ can manage something a bit different,can't we?
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As the old Frankie Howard gag went, you could ask those in the Goldsmiths stand to rattle their jewellry to make some noise.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
butler8
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by butler8 »

kpbates wrote:
I agree.We may be the best supported club in the country but we certainly lack atmosphere.We have become very stagnant.We need to create a match day atmosphere that will intimidate the opposition and inspire our lads.One of the best club atmospheres i can remember is at Ulster,really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Even 10,000 supporters at Sandy park create a better atmosphere then what we do.

I'm sure 20,000+ can manage something a bit different,can't we?
maybe the 10,000 exeter attendees are all fans whereas i seem to be surrounded by daytrippers who are more interested in where the next pint is available than who we are playing or even the score for that matter. its ok getting 24,000 people inside but if they dont all have an interest then what is the benefit ... surely not extra match day revenue!
corporate hospitality and 'bums on seats' is a necessary evil now-days. more people doesnt = more fans which doesnt = more noise or atmosphere

they iz the facs
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I've watched games at most AP grounds and even such places as the vaunted "Shed" lack atmosphere when the home team are being beaten! And as for Sandy Park I've only been there once but it was like a morgue as the home team got hammered, whereas I'm sure it's great when they're winning.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily

Post by Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily »

Well me and a few musical friends have considered a brass band.... Thought it'd be good fun but wondered whether people might grumble and find it annoying! Thoughts?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily wrote:Well me and a few musical friends have considered a brass band.... Thought it'd be good fun but wondered whether people might grumble and find it annoying! Thoughts?
Great idea but its a question of balance
Think this rests on:

a) When it strikes up and for how long
b) What music is played
c) Volume
Pinot Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pinot Tiger »

Totally agree about the atmosphere on Saturday night. It was depressing that 20,000 can lack so much fervour. A group near me was trying to start a Mexican wave while play was going on. Got me a bit hot under the collar. Contrast us with Clermont for example. It doesn't matter what age you are, or how the team is doing, everyone there makes a noise. There are people near me who never move let alone utter a single word for the entire match. Are we there to support (not just when we need lifting) or just while away two hours?
I don't buy all this ' Welford Road has a great intimidating atmosphere' hokum. no team is worried anymore, and most of it is down to our own failure to keep up any noise and passion for 80 mins. That only happens fleetingly and in certain matches. Surely our team needed the passion on Saturday, but we were asleep.
To Toulouse and beyond...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TTTL, good suggestion, but i doubt they would let you in with your instruments, remember airhorns, banned because of elth n safty, ridiculous!
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily

Post by Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily »

sapajo wrote:
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily wrote:Well me and a few musical friends have considered a brass band.... Thought it'd be good fun but wondered whether people might grumble and find it annoying! Thoughts?
Great idea but its a question of balance
Think this rests on:

a) When it strikes up and for how long
b) What music is played
c) Volume
My thoughts were before and after the game! Playing during tje game might become old and annoying quickly! But it would all be done with the feedback from tigers fans!

As for what music would be played! Again down to supporters but I thought staple rugby and folk sing a long songs would be good!

Volume would be monitored! I wouldn't want the band to hinder anyone's match day experience!

I do worry about being allowed into the ground with instruments. But perhaps there is a plave within the ground we could play before and after games! Any corner of the ground for example!? This is just a suggestion but with enough positive and constructive feedback I'd love to do it! :smt026