Poor support for team at WR

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Poor support for team at WR

Post by tigerburnie »

The Famous Hiss and Boo band used to play in the old stand where the CAT now is, on a regular basis in years gone by,seemed to have the knack of striking up a tune at exactly the right moment and added to the day.The Ba-Baas game in particular was always a great one with Christmas tunes at half time.As one of them was my old music teacher, they might not be around anymore.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily wrote:
My thoughts were before and after the game! Playing during tje game might become old and annoying quickly! But it would all be done with the feedback from tigers fans!

As for what music would be played! Again down to supporters but I thought staple rugby and folk sing a long songs would be good!

Volume would be monitored! I wouldn't want the band to hinder anyone's match day experience!

I do worry about being allowed into the ground with instruments. But perhaps there is a plave within the ground we could play before and after games! Any corner of the ground for example!? This is just a suggestion but with enough positive and constructive feedback I'd love to do it! :smt026

Fantastic idea.But remember their is a lot of family's that attend so nothing to old fashioned.Maybe their wouldn't be a need for it after the game but defiantly before and even something during the game is needed.I'm not saying spark up at any break in play and defiantly not a beating drum throughout the game,but something is needed.A lot of kids go to games for the atmosphere and at the minute their is very little.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I was not in my usual place on the terrace on Saturday - Why? because I was at home having dinner with friends.

I do not know what the genuine attendance figure was but my guess is it was low.

I considered changing my plans and then thought NO - I, like many others do not want to watch rugby on a Saturday night, or any other night for that matter. I played rugby for 30 years on a Saturday afternoon and that is when I want to watch it - Saturday night is for convivial evenings with friends and not being at WR was my very tiny protest to premiership rugby that I am not interested in them messing about with fixture times.

I suspect many were like me and therefore the ground deprived of many of the usually rumbustious occupants, noise levels down , team flat , crowd that did turn up, probably bored and a little resentful.

WE DO NOT WANT RUGBY ANY OTHER TIME THAN SATURDAY AFTERNOON - how much clearer can we be?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hiss and Boo are still around, Bob Beason is still blowing his trumpet, when he is not away on holiday that is! :smt035
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily

Post by Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily »

Agree actually no need after the game as the band under the cat stand do a very good job! May start a seperate thread! Sure there are done talented tigers out there!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TB you can do whatever you like to do on a saturday night, but to me going out on a Saturday night is great, so why not go and see a rugby match, do you never go to cinema, or anything else on an evening?

Yes we lost, but First half was very good entertainment, we scored probably one of the best tries you will see at WR

Second half Sarries came good, have to say though that Strettle put in an outrageous block on our defender when they scored their last try, but it was a great miss pass, but blocking does often create space like that, suprised ref did not go to TMO to check out score. RC no comment on that block?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily wrote:Agree actually no need after the game as the band under the cat stand do a very good job! May start a seperate thread! Sure there are done talented tigers out there!

Have you tried contacting the Club to see if you can sort something out about playing during the game etc? If you are keen, it's worth asking.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily

Post by Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily »

Rizzo wrote:
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily wrote:Agree actually no need after the game as the band under the cat stand do a very good job! May start a seperate thread! Sure there are done talented tigers out there!

Have you tried contacting the Club to see if you can sort something out about playing during the game etc? If you are keen, it's worth asking.

Have just sent an email to Gary Sherrard. If that's the right person to contact. Thanks to Kev and you guys for the help! :smt039
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily wrote:
Have just sent an email to Gary Sherrard. If that's the right person to contact. Thanks to Kev and you guys for the help! :smt039
No worries Tim,let us know what sort of response you get.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

AS long as we don't have the drums like the exiles or saffas !!!

Back on topic
I spotted 6 sarrie on the terrace - they were quiet until the 10 minutes before the end when 2 of them unfurled their flags and started making a noise.

I didn't think that the tigers fans were any noisier or less on saturday night, about the same as usual this season.
It is noticible that the noise level increases when we are thrashing the opposition - something that doesn't happen so often .

There were less than usual fans at WR on saturday evening, it was cold and we had just seen a third of tigers first team beating les frogs at Twickers. The cheering was subdued for that too only getting noisy when Manu got the ball !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Thanks for the replies to my post initial post.

I think a few good points have been made. The two chants situation really is starting to get rather boring. A self-depricating 'we've only got two songs' or 'CAT stand, give us a song, CAT stand, CAT stand, give us a song' would at least bring some humour to the tedium.

I'm afraid, I don't buy this 'crowds get noiser when you are winning argument', I'm afraid. Most people on the terrace around me in recent weeks have distinctly lacked energy and I think that rubs off on the team. Did anyone see the Bradford City fans yesterday? Check this out for how to support your team when you are 0-4 down in the last 20 minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBKEsCYhU4

Get a brass band in, get a french horn in for the re-starts, get Elvis and Rock Bottom on at half-time, get the Tigers mascot doing anything vaguely interesting to help get the crowd going...

Someone just do something.... anything...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Anything but the drop kicking farce.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

LE18 - good call. That shambles is truly horrific every week.

Incidentally, there appear to be a few calls for new songs... surely we can collectively come up with a few reasonable efforts. Here is my effort... (someone has got to start..)

To the chorus of Prince's 'Purple Rain'

'Jordan Crane... Jordan Crane,
Jordan Crane... Jordan Crane,
We only want to see him playing,
In an A-team game,
Jordan Crane, Jordan Crane'

If you don't know the song the above lyrics replace 0:47 to 1:23 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bydB3-k-qU
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MrPartridge wrote:LE18 - good call. That shambles is truly horrific every week.

Incidentally, there appear to be a few calls for new songs... surely we can collectively come up with a few reasonable efforts. Here is my effort... (someone has got to start..)

To the chorus of Prince's 'Purple Rain'

'Jordan Crane... Jordan Crane,
We only want to see him playing,
In an A-team game,
Jordan Crane, Jordan Crane'

If you don't know the song the above lyrics replace 0:47 to 1:23 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bydB3-k-qU

Nice idea but I fear to much of a quantum leap from the current two syllable single word refrain! Perhaps something less vocally challenging and requiring less memory sung to the rift of the "Pompey Chimes"
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

APJones wrote:
It is noticible that the noise level increases when we are thrashing the opposition - something that doesn't happen so often .

!
I think the atmosphere has always been better when our backs were against the wall, like when Julian White had been sent off for downing someone.