Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Television and fixture times

Post by TigerAlex »

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-we ... -32850056/

I thought that this was an interesting story, given the recent dissatisfaction regarding the late kickoff for the Saracens game, as apparently demanded by ESPN. Basically, Huddersfield Town have a game against Hull City. The police wanted a kick off at a certain time on grounds of safety. This time did not suit Sky who want to show the game live. Huddersfield were told by the relevant authorities that they had a contractual obligation for the game to be shown live on Sky and that if they didn't move the fixture time that they would be deducted league points. Result: police backed down and allow the fixture to be shown at the time which best suits Sky but imposes a load of restrictions on tickets and travelling fans.

I think it goes to show that football is not immune to the problems we have and also: a number of fans say that the club should take a stand against PRL/the TV companies and just refuse to change the kick off times. What if there is a similar clause in rugby at that refusal would mean a points deduction? Would you be happy for us to, say, drop out of the top 4 or even the top 6 to make a point which is unlikely to change anything?
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Television and fixture times

Post by Isambard »

As said before, the club and its representatives needs to negotiate a contract with tv which is of mutual benefit.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

We're not prepared to be continually pushed around and having to miss nearly half the matches.

We're not renewing season tickets for next season.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I hope that you also write to the club explaining your reasons so that they get a larger picture.

I have another year already paid for as part of the £900? deal I signed up for.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I did write to tigers as we too are not renewing our season tickets due to the continual changes to KO times. I got a reply which basically explained the process involved, the bodies involved - prl, ESPN, sky, and the safety board. Interestingly in the process, at no stage are the fans involved or consulted at all.

They basically blamed the tv companies and said that they would be penalised if they refused to move the games.
Always a Tiger
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I can't imagine Peter Tom signing this kind of contract when running Bradstone.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

TigerAlex wrote:http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-we ... -32850056/

I thought that this was an interesting story, given the recent dissatisfaction regarding the late kickoff for the Saracens game, as apparently demanded by ESPN. Basically, Huddersfield Town have a game against Hull City. The police wanted a kick off at a certain time on grounds of safety. This time did not suit Sky who want to show the game live. Huddersfield were told by the relevant authorities that they had a contractual obligation for the game to be shown live on Sky and that if they didn't move the fixture time that they would be deducted league points. Result: police backed down and allow the fixture to be shown at the time which best suits Sky but imposes a load of restrictions on tickets and travelling fans.

I think it goes to show that football is not immune to the problems we have and also: a number of fans say that the club should take a stand against PRL/the TV companies and just refuse to change the kick off times. What if there is a similar clause in rugby at that refusal would mean a points deduction? Would you be happy for us to, say, drop out of the top 4 or even the top 6 to make a point which is unlikely to change anything?
Just wish they'd had the guts to go to court! The Sky TV / authorities case would have been laughed out of court if it was shown that 1) it was outside their (the club's) control and 2) it was a matter of public safety. All the case law examples of similar were on the side of the club. Only the league would have been liable as they (who negotiated the contract) could have been expected to provide an alternative game.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

bluntiger wrote:I did write to tigers as we too are not renewing our season tickets due to the continual changes to KO times. I got a reply which basically explained the process involved, the bodies involved - prl, ESPN, sky, and the safety board. Interestingly in the process, at no stage are the fans involved or consulted at all.

They basically blamed the tv companies and said that they would be penalised if they refused to move the games.
Doesn't actually seem that the club and safety board are either.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."