Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: George Chuter

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

A void if Hooter leaves:

Tom - solid and still improving!
Hawkins - good but prone to injury since the day he arrived
Stevens - needs more regular game time with Tigers
Clare - ex academy captain on loan to Jersey and is definitely a prospect and still only 21
Thacker - shorter than Tom and can only be 13ish stone, fine for youth but risky at senior as demonstrated in the LV at Goldington Road early this season. Move him to the centres as he's quick!

I hope Chuter the Hooter gets a deal for next season to help the Tigers bred Stevens/Clare/Thacker to be integrated more to 1st XV rather than buying in another hooker.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:A void if Hooter leaves:

Clare - ex academy captain on loan to Jersey and is definitely a prospect and still only 21
Thacker - shorter than Tom and can only be 13ish stone, fine for youth but risky at senior as demonstrated in the LV at Goldington Road early this season. Move him to the centres as he's quick!

I hope Chuter the Hooter gets a deal for next season to help the Tigers bred Stevens/Clare/Thacker to be integrated more to 1st XV rather than buying in another hooker.
Not sure how you can blame Hawkins for being injury prone, it wasn't him that broke his arm was it?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
lady tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by lady tiger »

Have seen Jimmy Stevens play for Tigers several times over the last few seasons. Have yet to see him let us down.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

tigerburnie wrote:
Norfolk & Goode wrote:A void if Hooter leaves:

Not sure how you can blame Hawkins for being injury prone, it wasn't him that broke his arm was it?
He's had a few injuries at Leicester but I wouldn't say an unusual amount. His reputation as being injury prone is a little unfair (a reputation I believe he gained at Bath).
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Throughout his career Hawkins has been injury prone - not his fault but still a problem .
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

How I would love dear old George to be able to fulfil a Julian White type role and so end his playing days at Tigers.

But I guess there's the mortgage and several mouths to feed, and he hasn't got a farm (as far as I know! :smt002 )

If he does go to another club, and it is Sale, with the poorly situation London Welsh suddenly seem to be finding themselves in, George might end up playing Premiership rugby again after all!
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

36 is a good age to retire. He must have some plans and I hope that Tigers provide advice and support for older players.

Good man, good Tiger.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

CitizenSmiff wrote:From the BBC today http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21443475
At 36 it's not likely he'll get much game time anywhere else and IMO every effort should be made to keep him on with an eye towards a future coaching role. He's got a sharp rugby brain and twice the experience most players retire with, it'd be a huge loss practically and sentimentally to see him leave in the summer.
What is this obsession that recently retired players are destined to make great coaches? Let alone land a role at the biggest club in the country.

We (Tigers) should be the pinnacle of a coaches career (international coaching having few opportunities) not the starting point for beginners!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

mol2 wrote:
What is this obsession that recently retired players are destined to make great coaches? Let alone land a role at the biggest club in the country.

We (Tigers) should be the pinnacle of a coaches career (international coaching having few opportunities) not the starting point for beginners!
Didn't Deano start here? Didn't Wells? Didn't Howard? Didn't Cockers?

All did pretty well if I remember?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Top man George - just needs to lighten up a bit and not be so serious.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Lee Meers has been an Excellant addition to the sky team. Maybe a job beckons with BT for George. :smt023
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Surely the pecking order next season will be Youngs, Hawkins, Briggs (coming to us from London Welsh)?
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

According to Leicester Mercury staying for another year.
4th in line for playing & mentoring youngsters

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/G ... z2Qk228byd
Pip
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

wont get much playing time in the premiership will get some game time in the lv cup though. and is good cover if there any injures.been a good servent to us he might also get a coaching role when he retires. :smt031