Ireland vs England - is this the big one?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Ireland vs England - is this the big one?

Post by jgriffin »

Is it going to be the 6N decider? Will the ref make all the difference? Will Hartley get the 2 shirt? Will SL go back to Barritt and Manu? When will SL get round to dropping Brown?

Will Ireland continue to get away with their ball-killing moves so evident still last weekend?

This and all the rest of the imponderables will be answer this weekend. Magic :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ireland vs England - is this the big one?

Post by loretta »

Yes, yes, no, no, dunno.

Probably.

I know! Can't wait!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

One thing is for sure, if England can stop BOD we should win. Maybe. :smt003
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The Mail is reporting that Manu will start on the bench which points to trying to stop BOD rather than attack. I must admit I don't get this call. Sure, 36 and BB played well against Scotland but holding up well against Scotland and making several clean line breaks against NZ, which is what Manu achieved, are very different propositions. I would have gone 36 and Manu myself.

Only positive I can see is having players like Manu and Billy V on the bench will add some serious impact around the 60 minute mark. England have lacked impact subs for a while so maybe I am missing the point with my original concern.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Is it going to be the 6N decider?
- Not necessarily .. I think IRE and ENG will lose possibly one match along the way

Will the ref make all the difference?
- No !!

Will Hartley get the 2 shirt?
- No ... last two games Youngs has been outstanding

Will SL go back to Barritt and Manu?
- No ... Manu on bench for me ... keep Barritt on D Duty to stop BOD

When will SL get round to dropping Brown?
- Hopefully not for a while as I think Brown is great !!

Will Ireland continue to get away with their ball-killing moves so evident still last weekend?
- Yes !!

This and all the rest of the imponderables will be answer this weekend. Magic
- Absolutely the wounded French vs the desparate Welsh ?? The Italians sniffing their best 6N vs the Scots who have gained some backs but lost their marauding forwards (bad timing !!)?? The Heineken Irish lads vs the English daring to dream ?? You couldnt script it beter.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

So, the Daily Mail claims to have prior knowledge of the starting 15 before SL announces it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... z2KE6wDmZ7.
Incidentally, the article has brief comments from one D Hartley esq., apparently disgruntled at his exclusion. Are these 2 facts linked? Hmmmm...
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect Manu will be on the bench (if at all). It's unlikely he's fully fit and thus a risk when the two centres performed well enough last week.

I guess Manu could cover wing and Centre from the bench, coming on as an impact sub! However much depends on if he is truly fit or whether it's a way of keeping the Irish guessing.

However any player should be fully fit to start the game or you are taking a gamble on the player's future and the overall strength of the side.

If he is fit then I'd go for 36 and Manu. I don't hold with the theory that Manu's defense is weak. I suspect that he may miss the odd tackle here and there, largely because he's fast enough and brave enough to attempt tackles others wouldn't get to, or don't even try to get to.
36 makes a good second receiver (as you'd expect from a player who makes a decent fill in fly half) which is a simpler tactic than bringing in the full back as second receiver.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As expected, I just hope Goode and Brown play better than last week otherwise we could get a beating.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

The theory goes that BB holds the defence together and helps Manu to not get to carried away or out of line .. therefore leaving out BB is a tricky one ... Mike Catt said as much in an interview I think.

BUT .. I belive many / most people think that 36 and Manu is the killer combination overtime and when all are fit.

I feel for Floody .... with baby Faz playing much better than I could have ever imagined and Burns in the sidelines .. Floody must be feeling his age !!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

One immense advantage if Manu starts on the bench - there will be no place for Strettle who is surely the most limited back to play for England since Dan Luger. How SL could have preferred him on the bench to Foden totally defeats me - a weak one-trick pony who can't tackle over an excellent all-rounder who is a better wing than Strettle anyway, and can cover Full back and scrum half as well. Best all-rounder since Austin Healy.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: The Italians sniffing their best 6N vs the Scots who have gained some backs but lost their marauding forwards (bad timing !!)??
Since when did the Scots have marauding forwards? They've gained 2 wingers this season, but their forwards were pretty much the same (god awful ten too) last season.

I agree with loretta: yes, yes, no, no, dunno, probably.

Mol2, I don't understand why you're unsure whether Manu will play at all, there's only a matchday squad plus an extra no8 kept in. For me Manu and 36, though BB doesn't offer much of the bench. Hope Billy's put on the bench and TTTE is sent back to us, though he must be getting fairly irritated with all the miles by now.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Team's up:

15. Alex Goode
14. Chris Ashton
13. Brad Barritt
12. Billy Twelvetrees
11. Mike Brown
10. Owen Farrell
9. Ben Youngs
1. Joe Marler
2. Tom Youngs
3. Dan Cole
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Geoff Parling
6. James Haskell
7. Chris Robshaw
8. Tom Wood

Replacements
16. Dylan Hartley
17. David Wilson
18. Mako Vunipola
19. Courtney Lawes
20. Thomas Waldrom
21. Danny Care
22. Toby Flood
23. Manusamoa Tuilagi

Courtesy of the RFU site.

No surprises there.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Pretty much the expected team, not sure about Haskell at 6, would have liked Foden on the bench but not sure who he would replace, pretty strong team, Farrell needs to kick his goals and the forwards need to control the break down and not give away stupid pens or sexton will punish us all day, going to be a tight game, think Ireland will nick it by 5.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

loretta wrote:So, the Daily Mail claims to have prior knowledge of the starting 15 before SL announces it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... z2KE6wDmZ7.
Incidentally, the article has brief comments from one D Hartley esq., apparently disgruntled at his exclusion. Are these 2 facts linked? Hmmmm...
I believe that Hartley is a clear violation of Rowntree's 'no ****s' rule.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Quite.