Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by jgriffin »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:Could this be a swap deal, maybe Irish have said, "Barf are interested in Watson etc., you can have first refusal if we can have some of yours in return?"
This chimes with Brian Smith's positive comments earlier in the year about Tigers being the most professional and ethical outfit in the transfer market.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Could it be that now Deano is at Newcastle that the Falcons are no longer a feeder club for us and we have replaced them with London Irish. We have picked up Bowden, Thompstone, and Gibson already and possibly Watson.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Downbathway
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Downbathway »

I thought the mighty Leicester produced all their own players?. :smt047
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Downbathway wrote:I thought the mighty Leicester produced all their own players?. :smt047
No, that would be Newcastle.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Downbathway wrote:I thought the mighty Leicester produced all their own players?. :smt047
We take them young and produce them into Tigers. When we are done and they are nearing retirement we send them to Bath.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Downbathway
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Downbathway »

Oh I see. Like Ford you mean?.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Sadly Ford is leaving part way through his development, it's what happens when young players listen to agents and family advice. His replacement looks good and should flourish, I'm also hearing good things about the captain of the academy team Bryant.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Has anyone seen these academy guys in action? We seem to have a very good group of u18's coming through currently.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Watson isn't under contract and nor are the others... so I'd be surprised if that kind of deal was cut.
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Re the idea about Tigers and Irish agreeing "first dibs" or similar, I agree with kornboy that when contracts expire then such deals cannot really be cut.

However, it is arguably more a case of "It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it!" (cue Bananarama! :smt035 )

Tigers and Irish, and all clubs will take their responsibilities towards their academy players very seriously, and if and when it becomes clear that a particular player will not be continuing with a club - either because the club does not think they are deserving of a new contract or the player has decided he wants to move on - then they will normally look to support their move to an appropriate club which they think is consistent with their temperament and skills. They won't just jettison them and leave them to their own devices.

Therefore it is commonsense that DoRs and others at a club will informally talk with one another about who is and who is not becoming available to explore potential "good fits" in the interests of all parties. Naturally, some DoRs/ clubs will have better relationships than others - that's life.

Things tend to become more public when something goes awry, such as last year when Cockers thought that a deal had been agreed with 12Ts only for the player to turn around and accept a deal with Gloucester. The role/ influence/ intervention of agents cannot be ignored. Nevertheless, for young players who are not likely to break into the main squad I suspect that all clubs look to engineer a suitable move for them at the appropriate time.
Neil Back is the Greatest!
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Quick further thought given my reference to 12T's departure at the end of last season.

Given that he is now a regular in the England squad, and is likely to be for some time, is it not a fact that if he was still with Tigers they would probably not recruited Dan Bowden?

Therefore Tigers would have been yet another England player down, with no extra allowance in the salary cap.

So this weekend, if TTT had been selected for the squad, Tigers would have accounted for 9 of the England 23! Which would have meant the first choice 9, 10, 12 & 13 all missing. No wonder Tigers have been reviewing their recruitment policy.

Therefore if 12Ts had stayed it is likely that Tigers would have been struggling (even more than now! :smt009 ) with their squad cover, particularly when AA has been injured.
Neil Back is the Greatest!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Mersey Tiger wrote:Therefore if 12Ts had stayed it is likely that Tigers would have been struggling (even more than now! :smt009 ) with their squad cover, particularly when AA has been injured.
No - because Cockers would have insisted (a la Moody) that 12trees gave up his England ambition when he re-signed for us :smt002 :smt016 :smt003
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Mersey Tiger wrote:Re the idea about Tigers and Irish agreeing "first dibs" or similar, I agree with kornboy that when contracts expire then such deals cannot really be cut.

However, it is arguably more a case of "It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it!" (cue Bananarama! :smt035 )

Tigers and Irish, and all clubs will take their responsibilities towards their academy players very seriously, and if and when it becomes clear that a particular player will not be continuing with a club - either because the club does not think they are deserving of a new contract or the player has decided he wants to move on - then they will normally look to support their move to an appropriate club which they think is consistent with their temperament and skills. They won't just jettison them and leave them to their own devices.

Therefore it is commonsense that DoRs and others at a club will informally talk with one another about who is and who is not becoming available to explore potential "good fits" in the interests of all parties. Naturally, some DoRs/ clubs will have better relationships than others - that's life.

Things tend to become more public when something goes awry, such as last year when Cockers thought that a deal had been agreed with 12Ts only for the player to turn around and accept a deal with Gloucester. The role/ influence/ intervention of agents cannot be ignored. Nevertheless, for young players who are not likely to break into the main squad I suspect that all clubs look to engineer a suitable move for them at the appropriate time.
Good comments well put, agree with pretty much all of that, we do seem to have some good communications between us and certain other clubs.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

tigerburnie wrote:
Mersey Tiger wrote:Re the idea about Tigers and Irish agreeing "first dibs" or similar, I agree with kornboy that when contracts expire then such deals cannot really be cut.

Good comments well put, agree with pretty much all of that, we do seem to have some good communications between us and certain other clubs.
I agree, I'd just add that there may be occasions when the first team is replete with good young players for a particular position.