Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by drc_007 »

Perhaps Tom Homer could be persuaded to leave the not nots, would add to an illustrious line of goal-kicking full-backs?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

drc_007 wrote:Perhaps Tom Homer could be persuaded to leave the not nots, would add to an illustrious line of goal-kicking full-backs?
No did you not hear? we have signed Leigh Halfpenny :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

4071 wrote:
old one eye wrote:Do we have a fullback coming through the academy system?
Leicester rely on an Academy graduate?

Ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha!

<sigh>

Alex Lewington regularly impresses for Tigers, so if we were any other club in the Premiership then he would be an option. As it is, we are Tigers... so he's only going to be an option for Nottingham.
Alex has yet to play in the premiership,how do you know he would impress? As he was born in Nottingham and we have a several fullbacks at the moment, playing in the Championship seems a very good place to be to learn his trade,didn't do OTY any harm at Nottingham either.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

Lewington is a fullback? *scratches head* he plays on the wing for Notts. Much as he is a good player it would be nice if Tigers took him back for a bit to give one of Notts own players a go on the wing...
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

hww27 wrote:Lewington is a fullback? *scratches head* he plays on the wing for Notts. Much as he is a good player it would be nice if Tigers took him back for a bit to give one of Notts own players a go on the wing...
He came through the Academy set-up as a fullback.

Jack Nowell is playing on the wing for Exeter at the moment. Doesn't stop him being a fullback. Jack Wallace at Wasps often plays on the wing, too. Anthony Watson was regularly on the wing for London Irish this season. Quick young fullbacks often play on the wing as they develop as players.

Of course, Lewington isn't THAT young any more....
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

As reported in The Times but also now on ESPN

http://blogs.espnscrum.com/Rumour-Mill/ ... 0numbered?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

4071 wrote:
old one eye wrote:Do we have a fullback coming through the academy system?
Leicester rely on an Academy graduate?

Ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha!

<sigh>

Alex Lewington regularly impresses for Tigers, so if we were any other club in the Premiership then he would be an option. As it is, we are Tigers... so he's only going to be an option for Nottingham.
I dont think its necessarily a problem at Tigers, Lewington has to get passed Murphy, Tait, Hamilton and Morris to get into the 1st team at Fullback, you could argue that Murphy, Tait and Hamilton are world class on their day so its hard to justify picking him, this is a similar story for Forsyth and Symons as well as they have to get past Manu, Allen, Bowden and Smith before they could start at 12/13, the simple fact is Leicester have great players already and other clubs don't have that luxury so they have to pick academy prospects. Lewington, Forysth and Symons are just gonna have to hold on and wait to get a chance due to injury's or go to another club
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Barclay deal looks like a no go. Simon Cohen confirmed on BBC RL that Gibson should be coming and if he does Barclay won't. Would prefer Barclay myself but I suspect Gibson will be on a lot less cash! Luke Hume was apparently never a target.

Suspect (or at least hope) Barclay not coming suggests Tigers will bring in another, less known 7. As Gibson is definitely a 6/7/8.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

No smoke without fire, time will tell! :smt023
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

kpj tiger wrote: I dont think its necessarily a problem at Tigers, Lewington has to get passed Murphy, Tait, Hamilton and Morris to get into the 1st team at Fullback
Wrong thread for this really, but I have some sympathy with 4071 on this:

I may be wrong, but I think that Lewington has been at the club longer than any of the players you mention - bar the legend that is Geordie, of course. In which case you are really only proving the point that 4071 made in that Tigers usually buy talent to go into the first XV ahead of their existing (academy) talent ....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Neil Briggs and Jamie Gibson agree deals with Leicester Tigers

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/N ... z2MH5Q1bMm

Save Gibson I am underwhelmed :smt022
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Neil Briggs...didn't see that one coming. Welcome to Tigers, although I am not too sure that he can bring anything more to the game than Jimmy Stevens could.

As an aside, didn't Briggs play at 7 for Sale for a while, or am I wrong? I recall seeing this a few years back, although he still threw into the lineout.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Briggs is an interesting one. 4 or 5 years ago at Sale he looked promising. A hooker who also can play 7.
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

Sapajo, don't be underwhelmed until you see how these guys actually play for Tigers. Additionally - there just isn't the room in the cap for marquee signings, prepare to be underwhelmed some more!! The opportunities we used to have to get the Pat Howards, Maugers, Tuquiris of this world (there's a set of backs!!) over the long reach of France and even Japan (for the older class acts) are slim and getting slimmer.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

sapajo wrote:Neil Briggs and Jamie Gibson agree deals with Leicester Tigers

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/N ... z2MH5Q1bMm

Save Gibson I am underwhelmed :smt022
Many were underwhelmed when the signing of Parling was announced.