Traffic accident after wasps game ALL POSTS MERGED HERE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sabre Tiger

Re: Traffic accident after wasps game ALL POSTS MERGED HERE

Post by Sabre Tiger »

This is certainly a topic of great concern and I often wonder as I exit the ground after each game how somebody isn't hit by passing traffic. I know that they put bollards along Aylestone Road to create a wider walk way by the Clubhouse and I think that they should do the same behind the Goldsmiths Stand, although there is more pavement there. I'm also very surprised that they don't hold up the traffic at the lights for 3/4 minutes just down from the prison and also on Aylestone Road so that the initial wave of people can cross safely. This incident may of course be totally unrelated but is none the less a very sad occurrance and it will only be a matter of time before there is a similar incident immediately after the final whistle.
palletman

Post by palletman »

Continuing on from the last posting we walk back to the station after the match. Why O why has the traffic been allowed to flow at the final whistle and not held up down at the lights below the prison? It is a wonder that more people have not been cleared up at the back of the Goldsmiths Stand. I thought we had a H&S committe etc? Seems that games KO's can be changed to satisfy there wims but traffic is allowed to flow like it does. Just a few minutes would make all the difference.

Also two games running the same group of older guys have dodged the traffic on the crossing at Regents Road heading towards the station. They seem to think it is funny with the laughing and shouting at each other! Perhaps now they will see things slightly different and what is another 30 seconds?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The car park behind the Goldsmiths remains closed until 20 minutes after the final whistle. No cars are allowed to leave and allow spectators to leave
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

[quote="palletman"]Continuing on from the last posting we walk back to the station after the match. Why O why has the traffic been allowed to flow at the final whistle and not held up down at the lights below the prison? It is a wonder that more people have not been cleared up at the back of the Goldsmiths Stand. I thought we had a H&S committe etc? Seems that games KO's can be changed to satisfy there wims but traffic is allowed to flow like it does. Just a few minutes would make all the difference.

quote]

Going back many moons the local constabulary held the traffic at the lights at the back of the then A&L stand, dead easy everyone left the stadium safely and trotted up Waterloo Way or across the park.
The traffic on Aylestone Rd is made to filter into two lanes to enable a wider pavement to be used after Full time, sadly taxis still think it is a pick up lane and also the team buses....CLOWNS!!
Sadly the way Leicesters road system is set up any stopping of traffic will create gridlock for about 10 hours!
I feel the council need to put up fencing to force people to use the crossings and not dodge the traffic like playing chicken!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

WiggoTiger wrote:
I feel the council need to put up fencing to force people to use the crossings and not dodge the traffic like playing chicken!
That's a good idea,they have used tempory fences before in the city in the past.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Why is it that just because people have gone to a game they lose all sense of how to cross a road safely. I agree with Wiggo that if traffic was held up there would be gridlock and the first to complain would be the fans who are rushing to their cars after a game and ignoring road safety.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I am getting a bit concerned...Tigerburnie and Smurphs agree with my ideas! :smt017
Traffic solutions around the ground need looking at by the SAC again!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
tommo

Post by tommo »

tigerburnie wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:
That's a good idea,they have used tempory fences before in the city in the past.
And send the bill to Tigers presumably?
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

tommo wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:
And send the bill to Tigers presumably?
Why? :smt017 It would be in councils interest to make road safety up to scratch to avoid possible accidents and road closures!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

WiggoTiger wrote:I am getting a bit concerned...Tigerburnie and Smurphs agree with my ideas! :smt017
Just need you to agree how good our coaches and team are and we're all happy.............. :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

tigerburnie wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:I am getting a bit concerned...Tigerburnie and Smurphs agree with my ideas! :smt017
Just need you to agree how good our coaches and team are and we're all happy.............. :smt004
Whooaaa Calm Down TB! :smt018 :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

WiggoTiger wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:
Whooaaa Calm Down TB! :smt018 :smt018
I am staying out of this! We have agreed on a few things recently, can you see the chink of light Wiggo and can you hear the voices calling you to the happy side :smt001
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

Article in Leicester Mercury asking for potential witnesses, especially Tiger fans
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/P ... story.html
Pip
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I hope the person recovers.

My issue with the pedestrian access to the ground is that whichever way you cross Welford Road, you have to traverse three sets of lights all on different cycles which means waiting for each one to go green. These should be in sync especially before and after a match as there is a temptation amongst many to cross when the first one goes green and not wait for the others. Particularly if you are late for a train or it's a late kick off and you have to rush for the last train.

There also are not enough crossings, there should be a second one outside the ground next to the back of the Crumbie as at the moment if you leave by the back of the Crumbie and want to go to the railway station you have to walk against the flow of people heading up the Welford Road hill towards Morrisons in order to reach the crossing that goes to Tigers Way.

Aylestone Road could also do with another crossing by the back of the Crumbie stand.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Why is it that just because people have gone to a game they lose all sense of how to cross a road safely. I agree with Wiggo that if traffic was held up there would be gridlock and the first to complain would be the fans who are rushing to their cars after a game and ignoring road safety.
They lose all sense because a lot of them are seriously inebriated. Simples. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.