LV qualification

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

LV qualification

Post by rdracup »

Good news we play Sunday knowing what we have to do, which is basically better Sale's result away to Wasps (who cannot qualify).

A 4 try win for them and we are out.

However given teams on same number of points are separated first by Tries Scored (currently Sale 10 / Tigers 9) then if that doesn't do it, points diff (Sale 15 / Tigers 16) we are in a fairly good position.

Pity we are not in complete control... but could well be by Saturday night.

I think we will sneak it.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: LV qualification

Post by Iain »

Fantastic logic from the organisers. We have a competition that a lot of people couldn't care less about. So just to make it accessible for everyone, we make the group stage unfathomably complicated. Genius! :smt023
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

What's complicated ???? Just look at the tables, it tells you everything :smt017
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

It is possible for a team to qualify for the semis having lost all their group matches but gained 1 LBP and for another team not to qualify even after winning all their group matches with 4 TBPs.

This tinpot competition is nothing but a joke and should be scrapped.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

BJ. wrote: This tinpot competition is nothing but a joke and should be scrapped.
What would you have to replace it then?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tigerman wrote:What would you have to replace it then?
Either:

1. A straight knock-out competition involving the same teams being drawn out of the hat to play each other. This would take 4 weekends which would mean the Premiership schedule could be arranged so as not to coincide with the 6N matches.

2. Some form of reincarnation of the Pilkington/Tetley's Cup for English clubs only.

The LV/EDF/Anglo-Welsh Cup was created for one reason - to put money into the Welsh coffers. Why is it the Welsh teams are always 'conveniently' in different pools? It's to give them more chances of getting more teams to qualify for the semis. Also, have you noticed how all four Welsh teams are 'coincidentally' at home for their final pool games this coming weekend but the kick-offs have been moved to either Friday night or Sunday afternoon so as not to clash with the Wales v Ireland 6N match on Saturday? The four all-English games are going ahead on Saturday regardless.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Having seen the column inches and the news items on the TV it reminds me how the opportunities for minnows to turnover one of the big guys is so much part of the appeal of the FA Cup. Something to think about?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

drc_007 wrote:Having seen the column inches and the news items on the TV it reminds me how the opportunities for minnows to turnover one of the big guys is so much part of the appeal of the FA Cup. Something to think about?
As a matter of interest, can anyone find a Tigers v Wasps match report on the BBC website? It shows how much interest they have.
Tiger_Dad

Post by Tiger_Dad »

BJ - What about the fact it gives an opportunity for fringe and academy players to get a run out? If it wasn't for the LV a number of squad players such as Michael Noone would get little opportunity.

And I can't see how a straight knockout system would benefit anyone.

I'd prefer to see each club forced to play a second team every week. I think this would benefit both club and country.
Last edited by Tiger_Dad on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Don't knock the LV= Cup. If some Insurance company wants to stick some money into our game and promote a secondary trophy that is fine by me. Personally I wish more clubs would take it more seriously, not less, even if the top players are away.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The LV is clearly of less importance now for us, but the whole point is to bring on those who have little first XV experience.
We put out a much stronger team against the Pests because we have a much better squad in depth. That does not detract from the benefit it gives the players and the coaches to look at things outside of the "do or die" atmosphere of the Heineken and the Premiership.As has been said well played to LV for putting the money into the game,maybe when BT get involved we might get better television coverage and the profile of the competition could then rise.
Thee BBC clearly only have interest for the games they show and show little time for rugby outside of the 6 nations.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BJ,
It's not just about the Welsh coffers - the English clubs are only too happy to happy to have cash coming in from the games too.

For Tigers it means that we can play our development players in a meaningless cup. If some of the clubs (with fewer internationals) had their way we'd be playing league matches while the 6N was on and risk missing out on the play offs.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

BJ. wrote:
drc_007 wrote:Having seen the column inches and the news items on the TV it reminds me how the opportunities for minnows to turnover one of the big guys is so much part of the appeal of the FA Cup. Something to think about?
As a matter of interest, can anyone find a Tigers v Wasps match report on the BBC website? It shows how much interest they have.
I gave up looking last night.
The Sunday Telegraph didn't bother with anything more than the scores on the back inside page. Today's Torygraph gave the Tigers' game a column inch or two, mostly on the injuries, then dismissed the game as "low key".
The press is wired up for the 6N. LV is a sideshow.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

There were just 500 less spectators in the ground compared with the Oct HC home game with Ospreys.

I think thats says more about Tigers supporters than the LV competion itself but whatever the reason it argues against LV being meaningless.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

rdracup wrote:There were just 500 less spectators in the ground compared with the Oct HC home game with Ospreys.
Not quite. It means 500 less 'day' tickets were sold for last Saturday. Season ticket holders are automatically included in the 'attendance' whether they're there or not. Please remember they always announce 'tickets sold for today' as opposed to 'today's attendance'.