Tigers vs. Scarlets

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs. Scarlets

Post by tigerburnie »

The game was what it was,an opportunity for some players to get fit and for some to show us what they have. Now the fact some failed to take the opportunity does not mean we just bin them.It was only a few days ago the likes of Balamain was being hailed as straight replacement for Castro,clearly he has a bit to work on just yet,but you don't just throw them away after one game.
With the lack of a full fixture list for an "A" team, we should maybe set something up with sides in the Championship to see if they can give our players more game time.
I cannot imagine what it must be like to train all week and then unable to play because we only have one fixture and spaces for only 23 players.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Correct so if our coaches were any good they would arrange games every week with other clubs wanting to give their second strings a match.It isn't that difficult.

The biggest disappointment was our replacement front row, or at least the props. From then on we had no platform to work on and were pretty much on the back foot.

Balancing the desire to win with blooding these two was a close call but if he didn't know how weak they would make us, he is not the judge of forward play I have always assumed he is.

I should have known better.
A life long Tiger
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Smudge wrote:Correct so if our coaches were any good they would arrange games every week with other clubs wanting to give their second strings a match.It isn't that difficult.

The biggest disappointment was our replacement front row, or at least the props. From then on we had no platform to work on and were pretty much on the back foot.

Balancing the desire to win with blooding these two was a close call but if he didn't know how weak they would make us, he is not the judge of forward play I have always assumed he is.

I should have known better.
A feat made even more embarrassing as Scarlets had 14 of their squad on international duty with a further 10 players out injured.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Sadly Smudge not all the premiership teams run two teams,hence Leeds are still in the northern pool,but you would have thought we could sort something out to supplement the LV.Maybe including the Scots if they have "A" teams at Glasgow and Edinburgh.
The championship have the British and Irish cup,so they won't have any spare fixture time either.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I should have known better
I do agree with you to a certain extent. Bower doesn't look like a top level prop to me. His scrummaging could improve with time but around the park he doesn't get involved enough in anything. He doesn't appear to have any special individual talents such as Balmain's carrying or Cole's foraging. I don't think a good loosehead gets enough credit these days. It takes a special breed to be able to take the kind of hit a loosehead has to deal with these days as we saw with Cole suffering a little at times for England at the weekend with Corbisiero missing. I was surprised by Balmain though as I thought he might step up and take control of the situation but clearly he is not ready to lead the frontline yet.
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

as with my earlier comment - the Scarlets back play was systematic and fast. They were effectively fielding their seconds. what was our excuse?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

as with my earlier comment - the Scarlets back play was systematic and fast. They were effectively fielding their seconds. what was our excuse?
There was just a basic lack of team play wasn't there?
We started well enough in the tight but in the loose we seemed to lack any decent work in behind for the entire match. Everything was being played in front of the Scarlets defence. We lacked any real ability to get in behind and if we did get in behind them we lacked any runners into space to keep the ball moving. There was a difference in pace and aggression. I don't mean nasty aggression as we seemed to have too much of that but controlled aggressive unit play. We either had too many in one area all doing the same or not enough with players standing watching and wondering what to do next. It was wierd to watch!
Cheery chappy
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

looking at the score sheet it was penalty penalty penalty penalty awarded to the Scarlets Wre Tigers really that bad ? Or were some penalties deemed more pingable than others ?

The tries Scarlets got at the end of the game should never have happenend either Tigers shouldn't have let them in but on the other hand it was a totally unsatisfactory game that in the end was inconsequential. I agree with asuggestion seen eleswhere can't tigers arrange some 'friendly' matches for the A team - played on days that the first team are away ?

Training is all well and good but you can't beat the real thing !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

APJones wrote:looking at the score sheet it was penalty penalty penalty penalty awarded to the Scarlets Wre Tigers really that bad ? Or were some penalties deemed more pingable than others ?

The tries Scarlets got at the end of the game should never have happenend either Tigers shouldn't have let them in but on the other hand it was a totally unsatisfactory game that in the end was inconsequential. I agree with asuggestion seen eleswhere can't tigers arrange some 'friendly' matches for the A team - played on days that the first team are away ?

Training is all well and good but you can't beat the real thing !
I agree with the concept, but as with many posts on our forum it's one typed in the aftermath of a poor game and it fails to take into account the practicalities of the real world.

The A League as has been outlined is at best a thin substitute given that not all the Premiership teams run two teams. With a full fixture list there is no opposition available from Championship sides - so where in reality does that take us for opposition?

Not tryting to start a scrap like - just asking the question.
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Your right TBISD, clubs like Wasps struggle to pay their wage bill and have a much smaller squad than us,hence no 2nd team. This is not something the club can fix,this is a job for the RFU and PRL to sort out...............oh so we will blunder on as we are then.
I don't want regional style feeder clubs,but it might raise the standard of the Championship if more Premiership full time pro's got game time for them of a weekend, on a dual contract if you like. Not sure what else we can do with the fixtures the way they are.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: scarlet game on tv

Post by LE18 »

I am slightly confused by the suggestion of sending the fringe guys off to play for their 2nd registered team, unless they are really surplus to the squad. On matchday the whole senior squad are out on the pitch before the game, we have about 30 plus players out there, are they not there to cover all eventualities that could crop up during the warm up, how can they be released to another club?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: scarlet game on tv

Post by LE18 »

Mods please is it possible to merge these 2 threads, thanks
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Another thing to bear in mind is that if there are regular A team games we could end up with vital players getting injured.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

A few years ago we travelled over to a mid-week A league game against Stains to be told at the ground that Stains had pulled out as they had run out of players due to first team injuries. A full A league fixture list would be ideal to keep players match fit and give the youngsters a chance to show their talents. Given that a lot of our injury problems seem to come from Oval Park I think the risk of injuries from increased fixtures could be a chance worth taking.

The alternative is a regular rotation system through the season to keep key players in key positions match fit but not worn out. And by rotation I don't mean changing two thirds of the team, for players who haven't played for a while, for one game and expecting success.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

In the days of the merit tables we ran three teams who played pretty much every week, the game is far more demanding in this day and age,plus we didn't have a wage bill then either.
I don't know what the answer is, but to do nothing means we (and others) will get a constant turnover of players each year, players wanting to play, not that much to ask really.
We could have a smaller squad, but as we've seen at other clubs,you have no chance of competing on three fronts without some depth of talent.
I do not think we are perfect,but I think we are doing a pretty good job , if you look at the likes of some of our fiercest of rivals from a decade ago,they have fallen behind us.We have 13 players away for England and Sale field 13 of their first team,little wonder we get the results we do.
That does not mean I am satisfied with our lot, I too would welcome a trip to another Heineken final,but being realistic,with so many players unavailable for quite large chunks of the season, can we really wonder why we get some disjointed performances?Players playing like strangers?That was a scratch side we put out at Scarlets, no excuses they should have been better than that second half,but we have a different set of lads out this weekend.
Onwards and upwards.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027