Castro: "It must happen before the 6N starts!"

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigri

Castro: "It must happen before the 6N starts!"

Post by Tigri »

Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance for being wordy, but the video interview to which I'll refer is in Italian, so I hope to provide some information regarding the REASONS why Castro is leaving Leicester. Yet it is still not clear whether Castro will sign is contract with Toulon before the 6N starts OR whether he will have already left by then. What is certain is Castro's disappointment towards Cockerill.

More specifically, I'm referring to a video interview that Castro gave almost two weeks ago at La Gazzetta dello Sport, which you can find here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/a39axg3. I'm in fact quite surprised that, after reading (almost) all the comments here on the forum and scouring the web, I haven't found any reference in the English media to this video.

In the aforementioned video, at 3:50/5:20, Castro replies to the question about his future underlining that he is quite upset with Cockerill for three main reasons. Firstly, Castro feels to have been unjustly (and increasingly) sidelined even after producing some decent performances that proved he hasn't past his prime (yet). Secondly, Castro is at loggerheads with Cockerill because the latter has not been honest enough in dealing personally with him. Thirdly, Castro thinks that his "sacrifici" (i.e., the big money he rejected two years ago from France and the love he showed for Leicester), has already been forgotten by Cockerill, who now considers him simply as a (financial?) burden.

The video ends with an even more embittered/saddened Castro replying to the journalist that: "Deve succedere prima del sei nazioni!"] [this must happen before the 6N starts]. Yet it is not clear whether 'this' means the signing of a contract or his immediate departure for Toulon.

Lastly, sorry again for being wordy, but Castro and Leicester are tantamount to Rugby for many fans in Italy. I, for one, don't see any point in "taking sides", I'm just saddened by the fact that Castro is leaving Tigers (the professional relationship with Cockerill is clearly compromised) and, still important, I just wanted to shed light on some rumours that have been going for a while.

Forza Tigers e in bocca al lupo anche a Castro!
Last edited by Tigri on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Castro: "I'm leaving Leicester before the 6N starts!"

Post by kornboy130 »

Are you sure he doesn't mean sign a contract before the 6 nations and finalise the move rather than physically leave immediately?

It's a shame that he has fallen out with Cockers...but again this is simply a case of Cole having better games more often - Castro had his time as 1st choice absolutely and he should hopefully remember that.

Not to mention just because he didn't take the big offers he shouldn't expect to be able to hold this over the clubs head, not that it is that black and white - but it should have been a "thank you" and on with the job at hand - it isn't like he isn't being paid handsomely - he's the highest paid player at the club!
Tigri

Re: Castro: "I'm leaving Leicester before the 6N starts!"

Post by Tigri »

kornboy130 wrote:Are you sure he doesn't mean sign a contract before the 6 nations and finalise the move rather than physically leave immediately
You're spot-on, sorry for being unclear. I've already edited both the title and post as well.

As I tried to point out, it's clear that Castro is leaving Leicester, not so much so when this is going to happen. On the other hand, what is certainly clear is Castro's resentment towards Cockerill.

Cheers
jamiewilkinson

Re: Castro: "It must happen before the 6N starts!"

Post by jamiewilkinson »

Cole is playing better than Castro and has done for the past year or so. If he doesnt like playing second fiddle to someone (IMO) who is playing better than him, than thats life. You can see his frustration but play better than Cole and he'll get the starts. I'm pretty sure the coaches do not want to lose Castro just yet, but this sounds like another case of somebody who thinks he is bigger than the club, if this transcript is correct.
No individual should expect starts week in week out at Leicester.
No individual is bigger than the club.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

It is a shame if Castro feels this way. I guess at many clubs he would be in the starting 15, the problem is those clubs don't have Dan Cole who is now being discussed by some experts as one of the best current TH in the world.

I thought that against Toulouse he produced a magnificent 25 mins of rugby from the bench, sadly when he starts after about 30 mins he is seen to often standing by the breakdown hands on knees.

As they time and tide wait for no man.

When he does leave he will do so leaving me with some great memories.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I agree that no player is bigger than the club, but that doesn't absolve the club from showing respect and loyalty to the player. If a player has a dip in form do you bin him or give him the chance to play himself back into form? Look at the time and money spent on dealing with long term injuries, Tait, Parling, Crane, Benjamin, but a player out of form isn't allowed game time to get that form back.

OK, the interview is just one side of the story but usually there's no smoke without fire.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Tigri, thank you for the interview and your translation - I for one had certainly not seen any reference to it.

One thing is for sure - it will not go down well with Cockerill, a man not fond of public expressions of dissatisfaction!

Castro is still well thought of at Welford Road. The reaction of the crowd when he runs onto the pitch (little skip and all) was still very evident when he came on against Toulouse. It would be a great shame if he were to leave without understanding that we (the supporters) will always regard him as "one of us", and a true Tiger legend.
Valhalla I am coming!
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I liked the comment on the Crumbie podcast.

They may appreciate his talent. they may pay him a lot more.

But they won't love him like we do.

(or words to that effect).

A TRUE TIGERS LEGEND :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="Tigri"]Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance for being wordy, but the video interview to which I'll refer is in Italian, so I hope to provide some information regarding the REASONS why Castro is leaving Leicester. Yet it is still not clear whether Castro will sign is contract with Toulon before the 6N starts OR whether he will have already left by then. What is certain is Castro's disappointment towards Cockerill.

More specifically, I'm referring to a video interview that Castro gave almost two weeks ago at [i]La Gazzetta dello Sport[/i], which you can find here: [url]http://preview.tinyurl.com/a39axg3[/url]. I'm in fact quite surprised that, after reading (almost) all the comments here on the forum and scouring the web, I haven't found any reference in the English media to this video.

In the aforementioned video, at 3:50/5:20, Castro replies to the question about his future underlining that [u]he is quite upset with Cockerill for three main reasons[/u]. Firstly, Castro feels to have been unjustly (and increasingly) sidelined even after producing some decent performances that proved he hasn't past his prime (yet). Secondly, Castro is at loggerheads with Cockerill because the latter has not been honest enough in dealing personally with him. Thirdly, Castro thinks that his "sacrifici" (i.e., the big money he rejected two years ago from France and the love he showed for Leicester), has already been forgotten by Cockerill, who now considers him simply as a (financial?) burden.

The video ends with an even more embittered/saddened Castro replying to the journalist that: [u]"Deve succedere prima del sei nazioni!"][/u] [this must happen before the 6N starts]. Yet it is not clear whether 'this' means the signing of a contract or his immediate departure for Toulon.

Lastly, sorry again for being wordy, but Castro and Leicester are tantamount to Rugby for many fans in Italy. I, for one, don't see any point in "taking sides", I'm just saddened by the fact that Castro is leaving Tigers (the professional relationship with Cockerill is clearly compromised) and, still important, I just wanted to shed light on some rumours that have been going for a while.

Forza Tigers e in bocca al lupo anche a Castro![/quote]

Fantastic update thank you
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

G.S seems to be suggesting that Castro is out of form, not so he is still a very good player its just that Cole has improved so much that he is now our best tighthead. Castro is still a great asset to the club, he probably has 2 or 3 years left at the top this coukd be extended if he does not have to play 80 minutes on a regular basis. Cockers job is to do what is best for Tigers as a club and a business. Are we better to have two world class tightheads who are both away on internationl duty at the same time or should we have one and a very good cheaper replacement that frees up salary to be spent elsewhere on the squad? It is a difficult decision and if Castro stays there will be problems next year at the end of his contract when inevitably he will be offered less money by Tigers and also his value to another club will have reduced.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="jamiewilkinson"]Cole is playing better than Castro and has done for the past year or so. If he doesnt like playing second fiddle to someone (IMO) who is playing better than him, than thats life. You can see his frustration but play better than Cole and he'll get the starts. I'm pretty sure the coaches do not want to lose Castro just yet, but this sounds like another case of somebody who thinks he is bigger than the club, if this transcript is correct.
No individual is bigger than the club.[/quote]

Come on guys !!! We all know Cockers has a clique, if your not in it, it doesn't matter
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Chobbsy wrote:
jamiewilkinson wrote:Cole is playing better than Castro and has done for the past year or so. If he doesnt like playing second fiddle to someone (IMO) who is playing better than him, than thats life. You can see his frustration but play better than Cole and he'll get the starts. I'm pretty sure the coaches do not want to lose Castro just yet, but this sounds like another case of somebody who thinks he is bigger than the club, if this transcript is correct.
No individual is bigger than the club.
Come on guys !!! We all know Cockers has a clique, if your not in it, it doesn't matter
A clique that puts the best players in their best positions?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="h's dad"][quote="Chobbsy"][quote="jamiewilkinson"]Cole is playing better than Castro and has done for the past year or so. If he doesnt like playing second fiddle to someone (IMO) who is playing better than him, than thats life. You can see his frustration but play better than Cole and he'll get the starts. I'm pretty sure the coaches do not want to lose Castro just yet, but this sounds like another case of somebody who thinks he is bigger than the club, if this transcript is correct.
No individual is bigger than the club.[/quote]

Come on guys !!! We all know Cockers has a clique, if your not in it, it doesn't matter[/quote]
A clique that puts the best players in their best positions?[/quote]
I am not saying Cole isn't the better, he is, but everyone knows that Cockers is fickle
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I don't see the sense in letting Castro go. Cole is likely to be on the Lions tour and is going to play a very large amount of rugby through until the summer of 2014. Casto's quality in the front row has played a big part in Tigers ability to squeeze results out when needed and I don't see a direct replacement available. Tom Youngs could also be on the tour and be in a similar position to Cole. Ayerza will need to show full committment to Argentina if he wishes to play in the world cup 2015. Minimum disruption to the front row would be wise IMO!
Cheery chappy
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

[quote="fleabane"]Tigri, thank you for the interview and your translation - I for one had certainly not seen any reference to it.

One thing is for sure - it will not go down well with Cockerill, a man not fond of public expressions of dissatisfaction!

Unless they are his own?
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach