Wasps and the LV Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps and the LV Cup

Post by tigerburnie »

The Boy Dave wrote: It's the LV Cup and it is what it is. A good day out but has little bearing on the big trophies!
That statement could just win the prize for the most inaccurate post of the decade.
This competition, in lieu of no proper "A" league, is vital to the club, brings players on and gives those on the fringes a chance to show everyone what they can do.
It also showed last season that winning is a habit worth having and I recall it was part of the great re-surgence in our fortunes.
As for "only the LV", did you see the final last year against our biggest local rivals?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Did anyone see or hear who won Man of the match?

I would have given it to Rob Andrew that accolade - I thought for a bloke who has hardly played all year, his work rate was superb - His carries his tackles - he seemed to step up and show the way.

I think the scrummaging issues came from the other second row especially after the laddie who started was stretchered off

Fraser did ok when he came on and his charge down field was remarkable.

When they got the ball Tait and Goneva showed they were in a different class to everyone else on the field

Good match - I enjoyed it
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

That statement could just win the prize for the most inaccurate post of the decade.
This competition, in lieu of no proper "A" league, is vital to the club, brings players on and gives those on the fringes a chance to show everyone what they can do.
It also showed last season that winning is a habit worth having and I recall it was part of the great re-surgence in our fortunes.
As for "only the LV", did you see the final last year against our biggest local rivals?
Ahh an argument, how predictable!
Look at the competition history my friend and you will see the LV has very little bearing on anything else. Glaws three years in finals and still need to aquire top players from elsewhere to make an impact in the league. Quins never been to an Anglo-Welsh final and look at where they are now. I saw the final last year against our local rivals who also appear to have spiralled down the league since then. No coincidence that Sale seem to be taking the LV serious this year, bottom of the league. The LV is a mixed bag of struggling first teams looking to appease fans, first team fringe players who need game time and youth development teams. Just how important this piece of silverware is to a club at that time places which level of importance they attach to it. Don't overrate yourself or I will be back on here if we don't win the H.C or Premiership and ask you to explain why as LV Cup holders we didn't push on and win bigger. If we win one of them you can come on here and say I told you so. When I see Tait and others perform like that against the top sides in big pressure matches I will give credit where it's due, until then I will reserve the right to keep a sensible level of perspective! I was disappointed not to see Ashley Johnson, Poff and a couple of others as I was looking forward to seeing them in the flesh!
Cheery chappy
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Ahh an argument, how predictable!
Look at the competition history my friend and you will see the LV has very little bearing on anything else. Glaws three years in finals and still need to aquire top players from elsewhere to make an impact in the league. Quins never been to an Anglo-Welsh final and look at where they are now. I saw the final last year against our local rivals who also appear to have spiralled down the league since then. No coincidence that Sale seem to be taking the LV serious this year, bottom of the league. The LV is a mixed bag of struggling first teams looking to appease fans, first team fringe players who need game time and youth development teams. Just how important this piece of silverware is to a club at that time places which level of importance they attach to it. Don't overrate yourself or I will be back on here if we don't win the H.C or Premiership and ask you to explain why as LV Cup holders we didn't push on and win bigger. If we win one of them you can come on here and say I told you so. When I see Tait and others perform like that against the top sides in big pressure matches I will give credit where it's due, until then I will reserve the right to keep a sensible level of perspective! I was disappointed not to see Ashley Johnson, Poff and a couple of others as I was looking forward to seeing them in the flesh!
I think most posters on both sides of the argument are making reasoned posts but for the top teams it not necessarily all about silverware but providing real game time for players who might otherwise not be getting it.

I think there are eligibility rules for which players can take part (may only apply to final or knockout stages). Any help anyone?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

mightymouse wrote:Did anyone see or hear who won Man of the match?

I would have given that accolade to Rob Andrew - I thought for a bloke who has hardly played all year, his work rate was superb - His carries, his tackles - he seemed to step up and show the way.
And all this despite - perhaps inspired by - getting his nose broken & bloodied by a swinging arm in the first half... :smt062

I also thought Deacon B and Noone had very good games, Goneva & Tait looked sharp in attack, and that Bowden controlled the game very well.
Not sure who was official Man of the Match, but it was surely one of these guys - and better deserved by one of our fringe players like Andrew :smt023
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I think most posters on both sides of the argument are making reasoned posts but for the top teams it not necessarily all about silverware but providing real game time for players who might otherwise not be getting it.

I think there are eligibility rules for which players can take part (may only apply to final or knockout stages). Any help anyone?
I agree with you on this. We have strong bench and beyond. Game time is important to them and I prefer not to get too carried away with this competition though due to the mixed nature of the opposition. When I saw the line ups last week I thought it would allow a few of ours to stretch their legs and they did. It can only do them good as long as they don't get carried away with any hype. Not sure what the rules are?
Cheery chappy
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
sapajo wrote:Lets be honest the team that Wasps fielded was very weak compared to the team that Tigers fielded that said they fought and tackled like dogs so credit to them.

One moment of the match that sticks in my mind was in the second half when we had appx 4 Tigers players all statically aligned operating in a 3 meter channel near the touch line in front of the Cat on the half way line. They tried to beat the covering Wasps defence by passing the ball along the line just like pass the parcel until it reached the last player who then knocked it directly into touch. :smt017
It is strange that when we win the opposition is always weak. So only the negative moment sticks in your mind but no mention of the fantastic handling and skills for both Goneva tries.
Well, seven of the Wasps side were making their first starts of the season, and they had teenagers, academians and loaned Championship players starting.

By any measure, it was a weakened Wasps side. Only two of the XV had started regularly this season - Payne (the second-choice loosehead) and Cannon (fourth-choice lock).

Nine of their starting XV were aged 21 or younger. Only one of our starting XV was in that age bracket.

Good to get a bonus-point win, but we simply had more regular first-team players than they did. A big win was always going to be the result.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="The Boy Dave"][quote]I think most posters on both sides of the argument are making reasoned posts but for the top teams it not necessarily all about silverware but providing real game time for players who might otherwise not be getting it.

I think there are eligibility rules for which players can take part (may only apply to final or knockout stages). Any help anyone?[/quote]
I agree with you on this. We have strong bench and beyond. Game time is important to them and I prefer not to get too carried away with this competition though due to the mixed nature of the opposition. When I saw the line ups last week I thought it would allow a few of ours to stretch their legs and they did. It can only do them good as long as they don't get carried away with any hype. Not sure what the rules are?[/quote]

If and when teams make it to the semis, the opposition gets serious.
For the winners, this competition is financially lucrative and I think affords HEC qualifcation for English clubs. Neither to be sneezed at.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

If and when teams make it to the semis, the opposition gets serious.
For the winners, this competition is financially lucrative and I think affords HEC qualifcation for English clubs. Neither to be sneezed at.
Yes I agree but not relevant to the level of performance being lauded against a young Wasps side in the group stages. Also in the bigger picture of things the Premiership title or H.C would be far more lucrative on a massive scale. If we were to finish too low in the league to qualify for the H.C and also not win the H.C then it would be a huge relief to win the LV but heaven forbid that this should happen. We could potentially see Sale win the LV, qualify for the H.C and be relegated!
Cheery chappy
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Boy Dave wrote:
It is strange that when we win the opposition is always weak. So only the negative moment sticks in your mind but no mention of the fantastic handling and skills for both Goneva tries.
Nothing strange about that. I think you are making a bit much out of everything to be honest. Maybe spoiling for an argument, why bother? It's the LV Cup and it is what it is. A good day out but has little bearing on the big trophies!
Thanks Boy Dave, very perceptive and perfectly well put :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The Boy Dave wrote:Ahh an argument, how predictable!
You make a statement I reply with some facts that have bearing on Leicester Tigers, I don't actually care too much what other teams do.
What I offer is some positivty against the constant drivvle of negativity,my friend :smt002
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.