New 10???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

New 10???

Post by physiodan »

Now we have established that we cannot a-Ford George where do we go. Does Bowden become our new 2nd choice 10 as demonstrated by the likely LV cup role or do we sign another player. If so do we go old or new or take the risk with a player who hasn't fulfilled elsewhere.

New: Botica - with Evans signing a new deal there surely he will not be happy playing second fiddle all season where as at Leicester he will get a run during the internationals.

Old: Wilko, Gopperth, Mcloed

Risk: Cooper, Cipriani

Or do we look for a new 12/13?
Ma'a Nonu would be nice.
Loob19

Re: New 10???

Post by Loob19 »

I think it suggested in the paper that Bowden would be coming into the 10 shirt behind Flood, and who can blame the club for that. Ford cannot expect us to develop him when he has agreed to leave at the end of the season. Third choice 10 for the rest of the season for me.

I think we need somebody who could, possibly, push Toby hard, maybe somebody young who will develop a dynamic game, afterall we do not want to go backwards do we?

I have to say, whilst George Ford may have alot of potential, he has not shown too much of it this season, there have been numerous young players with potential that haven't fullfilled it so it seems a risky move for whoever signs him.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

My only concern with Bowden is that I don't recall him kicking while playing in the Prem. Would that possibly mean YBY taking on kicking duties again? Or would we need to look elsewhere within the team for someone to kick the extras/penalties?
os99

Post by os99 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:My only concern with Bowden is that I don't recall him kicking while playing in the Prem. Would that possibly mean YBY taking on kicking duties again? Or would we need to look elsewhere within the team for someone to kick the extras/penalties?
He didn't often kick because London Irish had Homer, but his goal kicking can't be any worse than Ford's was!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="physiodan"]Now we have established that we cannot a-Ford George where do we go. Does Bowden become our new 2nd choice 10 as demonstrated by the likely LV cup role or do we sign another player. If so do we go old or new or take the risk with a player who hasn't fulfilled elsewhere.

New: Botica - with Evans signing a new deal there surely he will not be happy playing second fiddle all season where as at Leicester he will get a run during the internationals.

Old: Wilko, Gopperth, Mcloed

Risk: Cooper, Cipriani

Or do we look for a new 12/13?
Ma'a Nonu would be nice.[/quote]

If George is off to Bath we can have Stephen Donald as a straight swap, Luke McCallister would be nice also
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

12trees............I'll get my coat

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Tiger Chris

Post by Tiger Chris »

I'd be happy with Stephen myler after all saints got to the h cup final with him at 10
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Tigers are in a good position in that we can offer a replacement 10 good game time with Toby Flood always being involved in the England set up. We have a choice now to either get a steady Staunton type player who is always happy to play second fiddle or go for a punt and try to develop someone who can challenge Toby. I would always go for the latter. I have thought about this, and I know I will get ripped to bits, but if Sale do go down then Cips might not be a bad option. My reasons are:

- Still fairly young having only just turned 25
- Has all the tools to be a top class 10 if we can sort his attitude and defence. Defence is the easiest thing to fix (he is not exactly small) and if any environment can do this then it is the Tigers environment. I would be very clear that we wouldn't hide him in defence and that we would have Manu running at him in training until he sorted himself out. Also think his attitude might adjust at Oval Park. Bringing him as the clear understudy to Toby might also humble him a bit.
- We could probably get him relatively cheap on a one year deal.
- He plays a similar game to Flood on the gain line so his style would fit in well which is not the case up at Sale who always play better when their 10 stand deep.
- He is a reliable kicker which is something we absolutely need.
- He would be good to have on the bench as he covers a few positions and also is more of a game changer if we need to bring him on to try and turn a game.
- He might see Tigers as the perfect home. Playing behind a Tigers pack would give him lots of front foot ball. Having players like Youngs and Manu running off him would suit his game and having Allen outside him would help him organise in defence.

Again, I know he has some obvious flaws but these can be fixed. We must remember that when on form he has ripped apart Premiership, Super 15 and International defences so he does have something special. It is just a question whether we can harness this and now at 25 whether he has grown up a bit.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Loob19 wrote:Ford cannot expect us to develop him when he has agreed to leave at the end of the season.
Will someone please show me in black and white where George Ford has said himself he is leaving Leicester at the end of the season. All we currently have are rumours and unsubstantiated claims from various sections of the press.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BJ. wrote:
Loob19 wrote:Ford cannot expect us to develop him when he has agreed to leave at the end of the season.
Will someone please show me in black and white where George Ford has said himself he is leaving Leicester at the end of the season. All we currently have are rumours and unsubstantiated claims from various sections of the press.
Conversely please show me in black and white where GF has said that he is not leaving?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Thank you Wiggo. Something concrete at last.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

BJ. wrote:Thank you Wiggo. Something concrete at last.
Sorry BJ, but that link has been published at least twice in the George Ford to Bath article: http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... a&start=30
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sorry BJ, but that link has been published at least twice in the George Ford to Bath article: http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... a&start=30
Thats why I chose not to reference it here as this is a topic on who we would like to see brought in, not vent frustrations of the George Ford situation.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Reads to me as a fair bit of "He is expected", "Tigers are believed", and "I understand" without any attributed quotes.

I simply can't see that a move at this time would be good for him - especially not if the only real issue is playing time.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game