New 10???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New 10???

Post by PM76 »

If Ford does leave, which seems likely based on the normal accuracy of the Merc, I would like to see another 10 come in. Myler would be excellent IMO or another Stauntonesque player, who is experienced, can kick goals and knows how to run a game would be perfect to manage the side through the international periods. Bowden is a better 10 than Ford is at present so I would have no qualms if he becomes the "second choice". But having a back-up 10 who is also second choice 12 when both first choice 10 and 12 are prone to England call-ups is a bit risky IMO. Even if Mele arrives, who in the French style can play a bit at 10, I would like to see another 10 come in.

As for Bowden's goal-kicking I don't know how good it is but when he played at LI they normally had Tom Homer in the back 3 who is one of the best goal-kickers in the Prem and would goal-kick ahead of Flood and Ford so DB's kicking could be pretty good.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

If Ford does leave, and if Bowden has chosen IC as his preferred position we will need to bring someone in. If Bowden is happy to play at stand-off then I think Flood/Bowden/Cornwell/Mele is more than enough cover for one position for the season, whilst we assess our options.

If we do want to bring someone in then I am happy with Myler, or even Cips (I imagine he'll be given short shrift and may take to the atmosphere). I would also be VERY happy to see Heathcote come in the other direction. A young, promising, fly-half who we can help become a great player. A kind of like-for-like with George Ford.
Never believe generalisations
Tiger Chris

Post by Tiger Chris »

I read somewhere and I can't remember where that although gopperth is under contract next for the falcons he's not best pleased about playing fullback al year and might look to leave
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Dan Carter! :smt003

(As our new Star Player he would not count against the Salary Cap)
Neil Back is the Greatest!
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Mersey Tiger wrote:Dan Carter! :smt003

(As our new Star Player he would not count against the Salary Cap)
I'm pretty sure the marquee player has to have been at the club for two years.
Never believe generalisations
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

I thought that a marquee player had to be new to the club.

But I've probably got it wrong.

Someone on the Forum will know for certain.

Wouldn't say "No" to Gopforth :smt002
But does this mean that we always have to recruit players from Falcons!
Neil Back is the Greatest!
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I would give Dan Bowden the 10 shirt and see how he goes while Floody is away. He is a very good stand off and a good kicker and he is then a very versatile player for the bench to cover Stand Off and centre.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Not in order.

10: Flood, Bowden, Cornwall
12. Allen, Forsyth, our new experienced Mauger style 12

15. Tait, Miller (please)
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Will S wrote:. I have thought about this, and I know I will get ripped to bits, but if Sale do go down then Cips might not be a bad option.
Read Geordan's book to see why he would never be considered at WR
PM76" wrote:I would like to see another 10 come in. Myler would be excellent IMO or another Stauntonesque player, who is experienced, can kick goals and knows how to run a game would be perfect to manage the side through the international periods.
I re-iterate my comment in the George Ford to Bath topic:-

I really can't believe this comment is serious - even the Saints supporters don't rate him. He's one dimensional, can't get a back line running - yes he can kick but we need more than that. If he signs then it would be such a retrogade step. one of the worst signings we could ever consider. :smt018
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

rocktop51 wrote: I re-iterate my comment in the George Ford to Bath topic:-

I really can't believe this comment is serious - even the Saints supporters don't rate him. He's one dimensional, can't get a back line running - yes he can kick but we need more than that. If he signs then it would be such a retrogade step. one of the worst signings we could ever consider. :smt018
It is serious. I can see why you disagree but Myler has been linked with us as a practical and realistic option I think he would be fine, especially with Bowden still in reserve. I wouldn't have him anywhere near "one of the worst signings we could ever consider" anyway.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
BJ. wrote:Thank you Wiggo. Something concrete at last.
Sorry BJ, but that link has been published at least twice in the George Ford to Bath article: http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... a&start=30
My apologies, I must have missed it. However, may I throw this into the ring?

From the Beeb
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

PM76 wrote:
rocktop51 wrote: I re-iterate my comment in the George Ford to Bath topic:-

It is serious. I can see why you disagree but Myler has been linked with us as a practical and realistic option I think he would be fine, especially with Bowden still in reserve. I wouldn't have him anywhere near "one of the worst signings we could ever consider" anyway.
I will repeat my comment from elsewhere - my sister-in-law and husband are longtime Stains ST holders and they think we would be mad to want Myler - though they'd love to get shot of him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

jgriffin wrote:
PM76 wrote:
rocktop51 wrote: I
I will repeat my comment from elsewhere - my sister-in-law and husband are longtime Stains ST holders and they think we would be mad to want Myler - though they'd love to get shot of him.
That's that then - if your sister-in-law doesn't rate Myler he'll be lucky to get a job anywhere. No point in continuing the discussion.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

we do have a bit of history taking 'sows ears' and turning them into 'silk purses'.. so Myler may fit... damn we may even be able to get Cipriani to play (if he survives the practise field)
cheers
Rich
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

I hear plenty of voices at Welford road decrying why we bother to give Toby a contract.

Myler is as good a 2nd choice fly half as you're likely to get, especially considering we have Mele coming in.