Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ford to Bath and other reports

Post by kingneptuneii »

jgriffin wrote:
sapajo wrote:
G.K wrote: We are going to be short of someone who understands space and angles.
I thought that was why we employ MOC as backs coach :smt017
:smt046

Slater and Crane are both good place kickers - I agree, why assume the 10 does it?
exactly, lest we forget, arguably our greatest ever goal kicker was a full back!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kingneptuneii wrote: exactly, lest we forget, arguably our greatest ever goal kicker was a full back!
Which one, I can think of Dusty , Liley and Stimpson ?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

tigerburnie wrote:
kingneptuneii wrote: exactly, lest we forget, arguably our greatest ever goal kicker was a full back!
Which one, I can think of Dusty , Liley and Stimpson ?
Dealers choice! :smt038
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

mightymouse wrote:Allan Martin

and for those not old enough to remember Peter Brown was a number 8 and captain for Scotland - elder brother of the better known late great Gordon Brown ( the British Lion not the PM)

In the same era there was of course John Taylor of Wales who was a very fime goal kicker (he was an openside wing forward)

I think this is an interesting point - why in the pro era does it always tend to be the outside half that kicks

Even Full backs seem less likely to kick these days (Paterson has just retired)

The Australians have often had winggers and centres that have been kickers in the past and of course they famously has Eales (second row and captain as kicker)

There is no reason it should be the 10 - yes he may be the best footbaler on the field but some of thesed bigger men should in theory have a bigger boot.

Perhaps training needs to include sessions with everyone - find out the natural kickers in the squad and work with those to narrow down the best option
Not to mention John Earls for Australia (2nd Row), Okey Geffin South Africa (prop), and Ian Clarke, Don Clarke's brother, was no mean kicker as well and a prop.

And I think Peter Brown played most of his games for Scotland at second row rather than at no 8 although he certainly played both positions. Surely had one of the most ungainly kicking actions I've ever seen, albeit pretty effective.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

John Taylor used to kick for Wales.

Does it matter who kicks in any team National or Club as lon as someone can?
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

9.Youngs
11.Thompstone
12.Bowden
13.Manu
14.Morris
15.Murphy

Out of those backs I would say Youngs, Flood, Bowden, Murphy and potentially Morris could kick if needed. Morris seems to have a good kicking game and is a good footballer. We are also rumoured to be signing Miller from Sale who is a 10/15 and so should have a good kicking game from the tee. So in our first team we don't have a problem with a lack of kickers. But without the internationals we will struggle with only Bowden and Ford (if he has to play) kickers. Even then Bowden has never been a first choice kicker.
hooking_king

Post by hooking_king »

Andy Goode back to Tigers for a third stint? Sure he won't want to be third choice at Worcester. He's proved on a number of occasions this year he's sti got it. Reliable place kicker, knows Tigers and I'd rather him than a Saint.

Only a thought rather than a rumour.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

hooking_king wrote:Andy Goode back to Tigers for a third stint? Sure he won't want to be third choice at Worcester. He's proved on a number of occasions this year he's sti got it. Reliable place kicker, knows Tigers and I'd rather him than a Saint.
And think of the increased catering profits. Would do wonders for Tigers pie sales. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Oval park would see a bit of extra action when he resumed training, given his attitude during his past few games against Tigers.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

hooking_king wrote:Andy Goode back to Tigers for a third stint? Sure he won't want to be third choice at Worcester. He's proved on a number of occasions this year he's sti got it. Reliable place kicker, knows Tigers and I'd rather him than a Saint.

Only a thought rather than a rumour.
Why would Goode be third choice at Worcester? Who have they signed?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

4071 wrote:Why would Goode be third choice at Worcester? Who have they signed?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21348928
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

This article explains Worcester are not keeping Goode on!
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... -1-4765422
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

According to Simon Ward on The Rugby Hour on Wednesday, Jamie Gibson has signed for us from London Irish. Been playing 7 this season but is more in the Craig Newby mould, i.e, more a 6/8 but able to play 7 to a high level.

He's only 22 and is a Saxons player so I'd like to think he's going to develop in our environment.

I wonder where that leaves the likes of Richard Thorpe, Noone, etc. given their lack of first team action. How long did they sign for?
Blimey...
MJSRacer
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by MJSRacer »

What about Tom Homer from Irish?
Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here), Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here),I'd rather be a Tiger, rather be a tiger, rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here)!!!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Hope Georges' dad feels secure at Bath, just been announced that Brad Davis is leaving...

http://www.bathrugby.com/news/club-news ... bath-rugby