Ford to Bath and other reports

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ford to Bath and other reports

Post by baz1664 »

Ford is clearly being miss-guided, he has had ample game time for a developing 19 year fly half and would get alot more quality game time during the six nations, all in all is down to him to stamp his mark on the 10 shirt when Floody is away, sadly this year he has under performed on numerous occasions, Bowden has played fly half for the Crusaders and Irish, he can kick his goals and should push Floody for the 10 shirt once he has settled into the role, if the french lad Mele is coming then we would have adequate kicking cover for next year!!
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

Firstly, really sad to hear that Ford is leaving. I'd echo what everyone else says: why leave Tigers when you get to work behind a strong pack and vie for the 10 shirt with one of England's 10s? I wish the guy luck though with Bath.

People seem to be mentioning Bowden at 10? I know he played their for Irish, but wasn't the reason for his move that he wanted to play centre? Would probably be short term until we sign Mele next season(if confirmed). But then it would get him some game time too...
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Players have a good understanding where they are against their colleagues and George might have simply realised the gulf between himself and Toby is much larger, and will take much longer to bridge, than originally thought. Indeed, after his recent game time he might be wondering if he has the ability to oust Toby at all.

Players like Cole, Allen, YBY (when JD was still here), Morris all stayed to fight for their shirt despite very strong competition in their positions. They all believed they were good enough to earn the starting jersey and they achieved this. If a player is not prepared to hang around it could be an indication that they think they might not win the battle. If so then .......
beech

Post by beech »

I'm afraid that George Ford does not appear to have developed as much as I expected when I saw his outstanding performances a couple of years ago with the development team. I am very pleased that Toby Flood was kicking those crucial penalties last Sunday. On his form this season I think there would have been a different result if Ford had been kicking.
tf22
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

A bit of a shame.

My Bath supporting friends are appalled, they regard him has over-rated and certainly not deserving of a guaranteed starting spot.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck to the lad shame he isn't staying, this is another example of players frustration about lack of game time.Sadly clubs don't have a full "A" league to use,so youngsters like George and Billy will make a decision.It seems Billy made the right decision for him,time will tell if Ford has done the same,Barf don't seem to be the club at the moment to go anywhere,but obviously family connections make a difference.
No bitterness here,thanks and good luck, Tigers will march on forwards,I wonder if he will play for us again though?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Good luck to the lad. Not wanting to sound like sour grapes but he has had a fair bash this season and hasn't really shone. Ball in hand OK, kicking from hand good but place kicking has been inconsistent to say the least - and that's the best route to points.

I agree that at the present the gap between Ford and Flood is larger than many of us thought. If Ford hasn't got the patience to work hard to improve his weaknesses then perhaps it is best he moves on. I think the problem with 12Ts wasn't a lack of game time, just the position he was being played in and Cockers does seem to have his favourites. Then again perhaps what you see is what you get and this is all there is. Matt Cornwell had a great record as he developed but then didn't make big step up.

Whatever his thinking it does taste a bit like a hissy fit over game time when he has had a pretty equal share this season (verging on the Cipriani?). I'd rather have Flood running the show when the going gets tough. :smt038
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
os99

Post by os99 »

GS wrote:Good luck to the lad. Not wanting to sound like sour grapes but he has had a fair bash this season and hasn't really shone. Ball in hand OK, kicking from hand good but place kicking has been inconsistent to say the least - and that's the best route to points.

I agree that at the present the gap between Ford and Flood is larger than many of us thought. If Ford hasn't got the patience to work hard to improve his weaknesses then perhaps it is best he moves on. I think the problem with 12Ts wasn't a lack of game time, just the position he was being played in and Cockers does seem to have his favourites. Then again perhaps what you see is what you get and this is all there is. Matt Cornwell had a great record as he developed but then didn't make big step up.

Whatever his thinking it does taste a bit like a hissy fit over game time when he has had a pretty equal share this season (verging on the Cipriani?). I'd rather have Flood running the show when the going gets tough. :smt038
Cockers couldn't pick Twelvetrees in his preferred position because he knew that there was already a better player playing there.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Billy and George used to share a house in Knighton until 36's move to Glaws. Maybe I'm ready too much into this, but it's interesting they've both ended up leaving Tigers to go to the "promised land" in the West Country. Do they share an agent?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

When this story first appeared, it was denied by Toby Booth, but he said that his future would be decided by how much gametime he got when Flood was also available. And so it has turned out.

His appearances this season have been average to poor when he has played and he has at no point set the field afire.

For the Toulouse game as an example, my guess that Cockers/O'Connor wouldn't have even considered starting Ford, he simply hasn't shown nearly enough to justify selection and he can't say he hasn't had the opportunities to shine this season.

As has been said, if he doesn't want to stay and fight for the shirt, I would prefer that he leaves. Good luck George, you make your decisions and you have to live with them.

Bath are just the latest club to be buying youngsters from other clubs.
Always a Tiger
Oldstager

Post by Oldstager »

Patience is a virtue. Some of these young tyros think they can just demand, and walk into, a top position. Who in their right mind would choose Ford over the established, proficient, England fly half?
I think a little more patience and humility would not go amiss. I always thought Ford would leave anyway, but to go to the backwater of Bath is not a good move, even if his father is a coach there.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

I seem to remember I got a lot of Doom-slayer anoraks vitrioling me on here when I said--back late last year on here--that Ford would be moving on..

There is an old saying--its not what you know, its who you know......

As it is Tigers will probably regret this big time, because it only needs Flood to get injured....so we will end up with Myler or Goode.....

Back to Staunton !!!!??????
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

what happened to David Mele? I thought we had either signed him or were very close?
cheers
Rich
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

Wonder what Tom Heathcote thinks about another young FH candidate coming in with alleged 'guarantees' on the starting shirt? Unless he's coming the other way......
There are rumours circulating that he is heading north of the border to further his Scotland ambitions.
A citizen of hope and glory
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

How many second choice 10s have had as many starts and subs as GF? The proportion doesn't seem low, but in youth expectation is high!
Valhalla I am coming!