Ford to Bath and other reports

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger Cub

Re: Ford to Bath and other reports

Post by 1979 »

Hope he stays as there's clearly potential there but believe RC's handling him correctly, he's not as good as Flood and should be happy to learn from his experience/knowledge. It can't have done Floody any harm having had to train with Wilko in his younger playing days. If Fordy can't see that then I suppose he'll leave and best of luck to him but not sure it'd be the best move for him.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

When Flood came back on after his yellow card against Toulouse on Saturday it looked like he went into the 12 slot with Ford at 10 - something many have been calling for.

It worked! We won! :smt003 :smt002 :smt002

Seriously though, I think all this press/media speculation is past the tiresome point, it's becoming damaging IMHO, bad for the club and the player.

The recent denials about him allegedly moving to Bath were all from Bath, no denials (I believe) came from Tigers, Ford or his 'advisers'. Naturally Bath would distance themselves as it might imply an approach before they were permitted to do so.

Get it over and done with, one way or another. We are not a soap opera.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Sabre Tiger

Post by Sabre Tiger »

I have it on good authority from the top that Ford is definitely going and I can't say I'm disappointed. I think he knows he's been found out and if he was kicking at goal yesterday then I'm sure we would be out of the HC. Any player has to earn their stripes at leicester and he hasn't racked up nearly enough credit. Who ever has convinced him to move has got it badly wrong as he's at the best training camp in English Rugby. Nobody is ever guarnteed a starting place in the 1st XV at Tigers, ever. Anyway it was an epic win yesterday and if we can carry on winning ugly and not playing well it's a good sign.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Sabre Tiger wrote:I have it on good authority from the top that Ford is definitely going and I can't say I'm disappointed. I think he knows he's been found out and if he was kicking at goal yesterday then I'm sure we would be out of the HC. Any player has to earn their stripes at leicester and he hasn't racked up nearly enough credit. Who ever has convinced him to move has got it badly wrong as he's at the best training camp in English Rugby. Nobody is ever guarnteed a starting place in the 1st XV at Tigers, ever. Anyway it was an epic win yesterday and if we can carry on winning ugly and not playing well it's a good sign.
I am amazed at the constant rumour that wont go away, as the saying goes theres no smoke without fire and this ,as posted by someone earlier this is damaging to the club and to Ford.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Not damaging to the club! It is interesting that, in spite of Simon Cohen saying that Parling (now re-signed) and Ford had to make up their minds, that wee George has not put pen to paper. Is he good enough to try this form of brinkmanship? I suspect he is on his way, but probably to Saints rather than Barf.

I would be happy to get Marler in return - steady, Staunton type of figure to give us the stability we need when Toby is away. I also think Marler has more to give than he has been able to show at saints.

Ford seems to have hit a mental wall as a result of his inability to react to a too high a high level of expectation from fans, and disappointment that he is not given the starting berth when Toby is around.
Valhalla I am coming!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

1) re Ford......so the fact that his father is on the coaching staff there at Bath is (a) irrelevant (b) relevant....answers on a postcard please.

2) re DeadWood .......has he got a stage ? Is it ridin' on over the hill??

3) I'll get my coat....
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

fleabane wrote:I would be happy to get Marler in return
Myler?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Christ-you must all be mental if you are wishing Ford to go...
He is the best fly half prospect in Europe, bar none..
Admittedly Farrell's temperament re kicking is superior. but Ford will improve, as he is definitely lacking confidence in his Coaches at Tigers..
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont think that people are wanting Ford to go......it is for him to decide whether to stay and fight for his place or go for the money
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:I dont think that people are wanting Ford to go......it is for him to decide whether to stay and fight for his place or go for the money
Money?? Other (English) clubs are able to offer him more money??

How can these things be with the salary cap and that????

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:I dont think that people are wanting Ford to go......it is for him to decide whether to stay and fight for his place or go for the money
Money?? Other (English) clubs are able to offer him more money??

How can these things be with the salary cap and that????

:smt017
I am sure that there is at least one team that most of us would be a trifle suspicious of in that regard but some, who consider themselves Saints, have always been prepared to risk squad depth in order to sign key players at more than their worth. This is not the way Tigers do things.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

jamiewilkinson wrote:As said before, if he is unwilling to fight for a place, which would help him progress, then he needs to leave.
At this current time, I don't feel we would miss him. Yes he had potential, but he has had enough game time to prove his worth this season, but unfortunately he hasn't taken his chances. IMO of course.
And this is what they said about 12trees, and yet - after only half a season playing week in, week out at Glaws - he is now in the EPS....

You could understand Ford wanting more regular rugby to help his development and he will not get that at Tigers whilst Toby is here (IMO) as Floody is clearly the better player and so will be first name on the teamsheet when available.

As a supporter, I would be delighted to see Ford stay, as he is a very able deputy and a wonderful talent.

As the club were only able to convince George to sign a 1 year deal last year - coupled with the lack of contract announcement currently - it would appear that GF may well be on his way. We shall see, but - unlike Castro - I don't feel that his time here is done and that he could yet play an important role at the club .... lets hope there's still a deal to be done :smt023
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

I hope Ford will sign on - I think it will be the best move for both his long term career and for Tigers.
Not sure how useful the comparison to 36 is, they're at different points in their career. When 36 was Ford's age he was being released by Tigers - there is a big difference between being 23 and being 19 and not being first choice, I hope Ford and those who advise him have the sense to realise this.

I really hope rumours of Myler as a possible replacement are just that - a kicking fly half who isn't even an average kicker.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Ford off to bath according to the mercury website..

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/G ... story.html

shame - but he wanted guaranteed game time..
cheers
Rich
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Disappointing but if Ford wants guarantees of game time then this isn't the place for him. It will be interesting to see how he develops and I wish him all the best but this does say something about Ford's attitude. I don't think Cockers could have done any more and Ford was being managed the right way IMO, the same way as Manu, YBY, Cole etc. which worked out well for those 3 who are likely to be Lions in the summer. Bowden should now become back-up 10 until the end of the season as I think he is, at present, a better 10 than Ford, whether DB can kick the goals is another matter.

IMO Myler would be an excellent replacement, it's good to see Tigers will be getting some money from Bath too.
Last edited by PM76 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.