Ford to Bath and other reports

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford to Bath and other reports

Post by mol2 »

I think Ford will benefit from playing at Bath and be a better player for it.
He will get to start more games than at Tigers. If Flood were to get a long term injury he might think differently but if Flood stays fit he'll have made a reasonable choice.

That's the difficulty Tigers have - Flood is England's fly half so any other fly half at Tigers or who signs for Tigers must know that opportunities to start are likely to be limited by the presence of the best in England and one of the best in the world.

You could say the same about any other tight head - Dan Cole has grabbed the shirt so tightly that Castro (another world class tight head is leaving). It's Cocker's problem but not Cocker's fault! The money is likely to be a factor for Castro but at Ford's age it's more likely to be about England ambitions.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

mol2 wrote:
That's the difficulty Tigers have - Flood is England's fly half so any other fly half at Tigers or who signs for Tigers must know that opportunities to start are likely to be limited by the presence of the best in England and one of the best in the world.
But at least a young 10 would know that with Flood always likely to be involved with England and Tigers normally having a longer season than most with cup runs etc that they will at least get a decent run in the team. Certainly better to be behind Flood than at a place like Quins where Nick Evans is around all year and will pretty much always start when fit.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Rude? Hardly......You added nothing to the discussion.

e.g. Why can't we hang on to our young stars?

Of course they all want to play and will no doubt believe their own press.
None of them, including 36, thought they should displace the chaps ahead.
Certainly George doesn't. But he should be playing somewhere.
My contention is that intelligently handled, mentored and guided, they wouldn't dream of going elsewhere.
It is utter madness to contemplate letting all the time, energy and money bringing them on go to waist
and leave them cooling their heels,and then go on to benefit other clubs.
How wonderful it was for TV to score against us at HW or 36 at Glaws. Not.
I really wonder sometimes when people run down GF. Do they have a clue about the game.
Everywhere I have gone, the one player other clubs have drooled over is GF.
To loose this talent, for whatever reason, (I say again) is utter ineptitude and folly.
A life long Tiger
Leghorn

Post by Leghorn »

Smudge wrote:Will someone please see past the rhetoric and address the argument?
We can't hold on to a potential world class stand off half who was the
European young player of the year last year.
In isolation this would be one thing. That it is an emerging pattern is another.
That we can't hold on to boys with so much potential should have alarm bells ringing. My contention is that among my many old friends in and around the club, they certainly are.

Now you may believe the spin and some press opinion that RC is a cuddly, intelligent, man motivator who is leading us forward.
I am convinced he is nothing of the kind.That he will get the sack one day I also have no doubt.
We can only hope he doesn't do too much damage along the way.

I repeat, why can't we hold on to our young stars? That is the argument.

You're Dorian West aren't you?.....C'mon fess up :smt018
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

Smudge wrote:Rude? Hardly......You added nothing to the discussion.

e.g. Why can't we hang on to our young stars?

Of course they all want to play and will no doubt believe their own press.
None of them, including 36, thought they should displace the chaps ahead.
My contention is that intelligently handled, mentored and guided, they wouldn't dream of going elsewhere.
It is utter madness to contemplate letting all the time, energy and money bringing them on go to waist
and leave them cooling their heels,and then go on to benefit other clubs.
How wonderful it was for TV to score against us at HW or 36 at Glaws. Not.
I really wonder sometimes when people run down GF. Do they have a clue about the game.
Everywhere I have gone, the one player other clubs have drooled over is GF.
To loose this talent, for whatever reason, (I say again) is utter ineptitude and folly.
OK, I agree it is unfortunate that GF is leaving. However What exactly do you think the club should of done?? If you were RC what would you have done to keep GF? Instead of slagging of RC, please tell us what evidence you have that RC did not offer a 2 yr contract with a salary to match. He has huge potential, but not as good at the moment as TF. In relation to Varndell, have we missed him? Same with 12T. It happens in sport. Man utd do not keep players that do not want to stay, players move on, get over it>.
glass is half full
Tiger_Dad

Post by Tiger_Dad »

He can't be Dorian as he's relatively interesting and knowledgeable :smt002
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Smudge wrote: To loose this talent, for whatever reason, (I say again) is utter ineptitude and folly.

However expressed your postings over the efficacy of not retaining the services of GF remains fiction peddled as fact.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I'm pretty happy with our dealings so far. We have resigned Mafi, Salvi, Tom Youngs, Ben Youngs and Parling and lost Ford. With Mele reportedly on his way to WR I think Cockers has done well this year. I think we could all tolerate

In:
Mele
Kvesic/Armitage/Gibson (Pretty sure we will sign at least one of these, hopefully Armitage.)
De Chaves

Out:
Castro
Ford

Resigned:
Parling
Mafi
Youngs
Youngs

I can tolerate losing Castro because he has given us multiple years of service and is a Tigers legend. Ford less so. If we signed Mele, another 7 from the list above and a prop I would be happy. We could do with another Mafi like signing aswell, preferably in the backs as in the forwards we are strong (if we get another prop).
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Actually I think we have missed Varndell- his try ratio was outstanding
And lets be brutally honest-Tuilagis defence was no better...
As for losing Ford-reckon Smudge is 150% correct-its :censored: abysmal and Flood might be a better kicker-but talent wise, not nearly so good... Still No 3 or 4 in England though
AND the papers reckon Stancaster is going to put Flood at 12.......
And what happens to us when Flood gets injured, .......???
Another journeyman five eighth....
PAH !!!!!
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

fortysix wrote:Actually I think we have missed Varndell- his try ratio was outstanding
And lets be brutally honest-Tuilagis defence was no better...
As for losing Ford-reckon Smudge is 150% correct-its :censored: abysmal and Flood might be a better kicker-but talent wise, not nearly so good... Still No 3 or 4 in England though
AND the papers reckon Stancaster is going to put Flood at 12.......
And what happens to us when Flood gets injured, .......???
Another journeyman five eighth....
PAH !!!!!
Again please provide evidence that RC did not try his best to keep GF. What would you have done??
glass is half full
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Smudge wrote:None of them, including 36, thought they should displace the chaps ahead.
so play him out of position to gain experience?

he must go elsewhere to play somewhere
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Who know's what is fact and what is fiction? Only those on the inside really know!
Deliver the H.C or the Premiership title and none of this will matter.
Fail and who's to say those left behind are any more worthy.
Decisions right or wrong are fine as long as those prepared to stand by them are also prepared to fall!
Cheery chappy
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Will S wrote:.... I always feel sorry for Flood as whether he has been at Newcastle, Tigers or England everyone is always championing his competition. Flood nearly always delivers and maybe we should just be very grateful we have him in our ranks.
To his great credit he always shrugs off this casual dismissal of his talent and gets on with the job in hand, making mistakes as he'll admit, but never giving less than his all and more often than not playing at the highest standard. And he always does it with grace and good humour! Other may dismiss the idea of good manners and gentlemanly behaviour but I do not. So far he's not let us down.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The Boy Dave wrote:Who know's what is fact and what is fiction? Only those on the inside really know!
Deliver the H.C or the Premiership title and none of this will matter.
Fail and who's to say those left behind are any more worthy.
Decisions right or wrong are fine as long as those prepared to stand by them are also prepared to fall!
I have refrained from posting on this thread since my opinions are well known.

I am with Sludge,

But at last The Boy Dave highlights the real issue.

Win silverware and Cockers will forgiven much.

Fail and nothing will be forgiven.

And the same next season,,,, should he still be in post!

:smt016
Still keeping the faith!
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

Be nice if Ford had stayed as he potentially has talent but far from guaranteed and currently Flood is far superior in every aspect except from kicking from hand perhaps. Flood certainly has the better attitude and has done our club credit.
In short I think there are some very well balanced opinions on here and agree with almost everyone but Smudge's opinion on this, I think RC has managed GF well as regard his game time etc..can't comment on behind the scenes but the rest of the extremely talented squad including a better 10 seem ok with him.
Infact as far as I can see in the last decade we've probably lost 2 young players that the media really liked and to be fair had/have potential to be brilliant but how many countless have we kept. Also worth repeating smudge that both of the ONLY 2 that have left were and are being kept out by better players! If I were RC I'd be asking you to leave and he is entitled to his opinion, but what would he know probably hasn't even played first class rugby or know anyone that does! :smt002