Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

RFU reveal new EPS agreement

Post by fleabane »

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/st ... a=chromium

Unfortunately, this announcement says nothing about paying clubs proportionately depending on how many players they provide. More detail would be helpful!
Valhalla I am coming!
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RFU reveal new EPS agreement

Post by jack »

My immediate thought was whether the clubs who contribute England players will get a fairer share of the cash :smt017
Tigers - true Champions!
Antony D

Post by Antony D »

jack wrote:My immediate thought was whether the clubs who contribute England players will get a fairer share of the cash :smt017
From my understanding all of the English Clubs get equil share of the funds - no matter how many players are picked in the EPS - may be this will change??
Antony

I cook with Wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The distribution of EPS money to clubs is determined by PRL not RFU.
Still keeping the faith!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

As Bill says, the even distribution of EPS money is down to PRL, not RFU.

RFU do actually pay each club for the number of players they provide to the EPS but then PRL give the other clubs payments to even out the RFU's EPS monies.

i.e. If RFU give club X six payments for having six players in the EPS, & Club Y four payments for four players, PRL give club Z six playments even though they have no EPS players & top up club Y with a further two payments so that everyone is even.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Dave Angel wrote:As Bill says, the even distribution of EPS money is down to PRL, not RFU.

RFU do actually pay each club for the number of players they provide to the EPS but then PRL give the other clubs payments to even out the RFU's EPS monies.

i.e. If RFU give club X six payments for having six players in the EPS, & Club Y four payments for four players, PRL give club Z six playments even though they have no EPS players & top up club Y with a further two payments so that everyone is even.
And then club Z get the added benefit of playing their non-internationally weakened first team against internationally weakened sides from club X & club Y during international periods.

Everyone's a winner......... :smt017 :smt009
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

It’s not just the real pounds shillings and pence but also the additional constraints of maintaining a viable squad within the constraints of the salary cap when you’re missing a substantial chunk of your top players for quite a few fixtures. Richer more successful clubs might be able to fill the gaps but only if they’re allowed to spend the money.

Do the clubs that lose international players (or just home internationals) get to deduct players’ salaries from the salary cap allowance while they’re on international duty? I know there was a £30k allowance for each player involved in RWC 2011 for 2011/12.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

WhitecapTiger wrote:And then club Z get the added benefit of playing their non-internationally weakened first team against internationally weakened sides from club X & club Y during international periods.
Exactly.

But the point is that it isn't the RFU's fault on this occasion. Blame for the unfair "reward" for (not) providing Internationals lies entirely with PRL.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Up until now we have been outvoted in the PRL, but with other clubs now suffering from loss of EPS players, there might be a few more voting with us when the agreement comes up for discussion again.
Valhalla I am coming!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Who will vote against the current agreement?

Tigers, Quins, Saracens ... possibly Saints?

Who will vote to keep the current arrangement?

Sale, Worcester, Welsh, Irish, Wasps, Bath, Gloucester and Exeter.

Whilst the majority of teams benefit from the current arrangement, it will not change me thinks.
Always a Tiger
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Are you sure that Tigers actually vote against the EPS agreement?

Afterall, the IRB regs allow Unions to call on players without the need to offer compensation. The EPS agreement allows the RFU to call on players outside International windows for training sessions & rest periods in return for compensation.

No EPS agreement would still mean Tigers losing players for International matches but would also mean no financial compensation to them from the RFU. I expect that Tigers vote FOR the EPS agreement, but will have voted AGAINST the current revenue smoothing agreement between PRL clubs.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Dave Angel wrote:I expect that Tigers vote FOR the EPS agreement, but will have voted AGAINST the current revenue smoothing agreement between PRL clubs.
Sorry, that was what I meant. Every club supports the RFU EPS agreement I am sure. The division comes on the PRL agreement to redistribute the funds evenly across all clubs regardless of EPS participation. And IMO whilst more clubs benefit from that agreement, it will stay in place. Any club with less that 3 players in the EPS benefit financially from the PRL agreement.
Always a Tiger
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Dave Angel wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:And then club Z get the added benefit of playing their non-internationally weakened first team against internationally weakened sides from club X & club Y during international periods.
Exactly.

But the point is that it isn't the RFU's fault on this occasion. Blame for the unfair "reward" for (not) providing Internationals lies entirely with PRL.
For all he isn't my favourite person, Rob Andrew was rightly furious when PRL made that move. It went completely against the RFU's intention. One of the main reasons for introducing the EPS agreement was to reward clubs for developing England players, and make it in the clubs interest to work on development of England qualified players. PRL knew this, but as soon as the deal was done introduced the payment smoothing and managed to get it doing the reverse.

I suspect that Tigers will be better rewarded post 2015 (assuming the club is still providing a fair chunk of the England squad), as the RFU will be very determined to get it right next time.