Tigers v Toulouse

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerTank

Re: Tigers v Toulouse

Post by TigerTank »

Question: I understand that Tigers have excellent ground covers, a tent and warm air blowers etc. and that the chance of the game being called off due to weather is minimal (hopefully) but if it is, when is such a decision made?

Casting an eye on the weather forecast for the weekend, one sees that Snow is predicted from Friday 0300hrs until Monday 0900hrs with hardly any let-up. I would quickly add that the forecast has been changing almost by the hour so that prediction is just that and is far from guaranteed.

I would imagine that Toulouse will be bringing some fans, so when would a decision be made by the club with regards to the game going ahead, can anyone tell me? I know it's all in the lap of the Gods and that the referee could easily choose to pull the plug once the covers come off and the ground starts to freeze (again, the forecast is for nothing more than -2 all weekend) but i recall a game a few years back that was very nearly called off due to H&S issues as the terrace was a nighmare and dozens of fans chipped in to help clear it of snow & ice.

Not wishing to bring the mood down at all, can't wait for the game but i live in the middle of nowhere and really want to plan ahead.

*Footnote* As i write, the national weather forecast on the BBC has just been on with warnings of "significant snow" on Friday, as much as 6" is due apparently... whoo!
It's only cheating if they catch you.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="smalldell"]I think it depends who is fit given that Tom Youngs and Manu Tualigi both limped off. If they are unavailable I think I would go with:-

1. Ayerza
2. Hawkins
3. Cole
4. Parling
5. Kitchener
6. Mafi
7. Salvi
8. Waldrom
9. B. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Thompston
12. Allen
13. Smith
14. Morris
15. Murphy

Bench

Castro
Logo
Chuter
Tait
Slater (though he does get a lot of yellow cards)
Croft
Harrison\Young
Bowden

Of course if Manu and Youngs are fit then that will change selection.
I have left Louis Deacon out completely as I personally feel he's a bit off the pace at the moment.

We need Murphy for this one for experience

Croft to come off the bench as an impact player or swap him round for Mafi

On a personal note I cannot see Allen as a 13[/quote]
I like your second row and totally agree about Deacon.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

According to the Merc, Fickou is unavailable. That might help!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

TigerTank wrote:Question: I understand that Tigers have excellent ground covers, a tent and warm air blowers etc. and that the chance of the game being called off due to weather is minimal (hopefully) but if it is, when is such a decision made?

Casting an eye on the weather forecast for the weekend, one sees that Snow is predicted from Friday 0300hrs until Monday 0900hrs with hardly any let-up. I would quickly add that the forecast has been changing almost by the hour so that prediction is just that and is far from guaranteed.

I would imagine that Toulouse will be bringing some fans, so when would a decision be made by the club with regards to the game going ahead, can anyone tell me? I know it's all in the lap of the Gods and that the referee could easily choose to pull the plug once the covers come off and the ground starts to freeze (again, the forecast is for nothing more than -2 all weekend) but i recall a game a few years back that was very nearly called off due to H&S issues as the terrace was a nighmare and dozens of fans chipped in to help clear it of snow & ice.

Not wishing to bring the mood down at all, can't wait for the game but i live in the middle of nowhere and really want to plan ahead.

*Footnote* As i write, the national weather forecast on the BBC has just been on with warnings of "significant snow" on Friday, as much as 6" is due apparently... whoo!
The Tigers are very good at protecting the pitch. The main issue as you say will be H&S on terrace and the streets around the ground. In the past the council has been very good at gritting the surrounding areas. In fact a few years ago we were the only one's to have the game go ahead. I have got my shovel and wellies ready!!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Assuming Youngs and Manu are injured; and that Croft is fit this week, I'd go with the following.

15. Geordan Murphy
14. Niall Morris
13. Mat Tait
12. Anthony Allen
11. Adam Thompstone
10. Toby Flood
9. Ben Youngs
1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Rob Hawkins
3. Dan Cole
4. Ed Slater
5. Geoff Parling
6. Tom Croft
7. Julian Salvi
8. Thomas Waldrom

16. George Chuter
17. Logo Mulipola
18. Martin Castrogiovanni
19. Graham Kitchener
20. Steve Mafi
21. Sam Harrison
22. George Ford
23. Matt Smith
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

TigerTank wrote: *Footnote* As i write, the national weather forecast on the BBC has just been on with warnings of "significant snow" on Friday, as much as 6" is due apparently... whoo!
Ouch! I expect they will have the pitch ready, but the snow won't help with travel arrangments. It could be a complete nightmare for some to get in to Leicester.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="TTRITH"]Assuming Youngs and Manu are injured; and that Croft is fit this week, I'd go with the following.

15. Geordan Murphy
14. Niall Morris
13. Mat Tait
12. Anthony Allen
11. Adam Thompstone
10. Toby Flood
9. Ben Youngs
1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Rob Hawkins
3. Dan Cole
4. Ed Slater
5. Geoff Parling
6. Tom Croft
7. Julian Salvi
8. Thomas Waldrom

16. George Chuter
17. Logo Mulipola
18. Martin Castrogiovanni
19. Graham Kitchener
20. Steve Mafi
21. Sam Harrison
22. George Ford
23. Matt Smith[/quote]

A very good shout for Tait at OC, I also agree with no Deacon, but would start with Kitchener instead of Slater.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm with you Chobbsy - Deacon was exposed for pace and left floundering by Ospreys - getting nowhere near to making tackles that should have been his.

The outstanding work by the centres and front row saved us from being exposed for pace when you play Crane & Deacon together.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

mol2 wrote:I'm with you Chobbsy - Deacon was exposed for pace and left floundering by Ospreys - getting nowhere near to making tackles that should have been his.

The outstanding work by the centres and front row saved us from being exposed for pace when you play Crane & Deacon together.
If you look at the match stats Mafi was actually the worst player on either side for missed tackles.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="drc_007"][quote="mol2"]I'm with you Chobbsy - Deacon was exposed for pace and left floundering by Ospreys - getting nowhere near to making tackles that should have been his.

The outstanding work by the centres and front row saved us from being exposed for pace when you play Crane & Deacon together.[/quote]

If you look at the match stats Mafi was actually the worst player on either side for missed tackles.[/quote]

But at least he got there to make the tackles
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Chobbsy wrote:
drc_007 wrote:
mol2 wrote:I'm with you Chobbsy - Deacon was exposed for pace and left floundering by Ospreys - getting nowhere near to making tackles that should have been his.

If you look at the match stats Mafi was actually the worst player on either side for missed tackles.
Even though he missed them :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Chobbsy wrote:
drc_007 wrote:

According to the stats Deacon made more tackles and missed less
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I think Deacon may be being held responsible for the failings of the back-row.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm feeling very miserable cos I'm going to miss this, the one match I wanted to go to from when the pools were announced. :smt009
I have an ill wife (and still got proper sciatica :smt010 ).

It's going to be an absolute cracker, not just a season definer, but I suspect a player and coaching team definer. We have just GOT to win this.

PS apologies if a bit short with anyone this week. Due to feeling peed off.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

jgriffin wrote:I'm feeling very miserable cos I'm going to miss this, the one match I wanted to go to from when the pools were announced. :smt009
I have an ill wife (and still got proper sciatica :smt010 ).

It's going to be an absolute cracker, not just a season definer, but I suspect a player and coaching team definer. We have just GOT to win this.

PS apologies if a bit short with anyone this week. Due to feeling peed off.
Hi JG hope your wife and sciatica gets better soon. I missed the Glos game because my wife was ill. I will cheer for you and spur the guys on to victory and hopefully that will help. Take care. :smt023
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.