Tigers v Toulouse

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jamiewilkinson

Re: Tigers v Toulouse

Post by jamiewilkinson »

also extremely disappointed with the Toulouse lack of sportsmanship at the end, is that what happens when you pay players too much?
Or were they still peeved that the covers were removed from the Tigers side first? :smt003
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Bunchy wrote:It's always interesting after a big win that the Mikes / Bill W's / G's etc go very quiet.........
Perhaps some folk have nowt to say if they've nowt to whinge about?
Last edited by BJ. on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I didn't realise Toulouse had done walked off like that until I read it here but if that is the case it is a disgrace. I naively thought that despite all the money in the game these days there are some traditions of sportsmanship and mammers that were sacrosanct in the game and which divides us from wendyball - possibly not?!! :smt013
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

Bundy wrote:I didn't realise Toulouse had done walked off like that until I read it here but if that is the case it is a disgrace. I naively thought that despite all the money in the game these days there are some traditions of sportsmanship and mammers that were sacrosanct in the game and which divides us from wendyball - possibly not?!! :smt013
Flood wasn't happy, at first thought he was trying to pump the crowd up until I realised the Toulouse players were walking up the steps without having done the respectful clapping tunnel.
tigerinthestix
Tiger Cub

Post by tigerinthestix »

Bunchy wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:I notice Bill has not yet been on here to call for the coaches heads after another dire performance where we were lucky and should not have won. Or is it because Bill confidently predicted that we would not make it out of the pool, I think he said I was clutching at straws. :smt003 :smt003
It's always interesting after a big win that the Mikes / Bill W's / G's etc go very quiet.........
I think you'll find that Bill is as passionate about the Tigers as anyone else but, as I've said before, he does like to lob in the occasional grenade to keep everyone on their toes :smt005
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I thought the behaviour of their players at the end was disgraceful. Defeats we ALL have to take never does anyone like it, however the traditions of rugby demand a certain graciousness and being a little humble. I hope someone in authority points out to Toulouse that this will not be tolerated.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

fentiger wrote:I thought the behaviour of their players at the end was disgraceful. Defeats we ALL have to take never does anyone like it, however the traditions of rugby demand a certain graciousness and being a little humble. I hope someone in authority points out to Toulouse that this will not be tolerated.
Don't hold your breath though...
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Post match thoughts - if we can accomplish so much without putting in a scintillating performance, (like most of the season, from what I have seen) then I am really looking forward to the day we click.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

jamiewilkinson wrote:Loved Toby's jump and fist pump after he nailed the penalty from the half way line, and his sprint to get on to the defences line after his sin bin. Passion and determination.
Loved his reason for celebrating according to his statement from the Express

'... his third penalty a 55-metre monster which had skipper Deacon wondering at the wisdom of going for goal and Flood unusually gesticulating his pleasure when it went over.

He asked if I was sure – if I was really sure,” said Flood. “So it was a celebration of the fact he wasn’t going to punch me in the face ...'
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

...............But we were fortunate to win. If you were a Toulouse fan you'd be calling for the kicker's head(s) (at least) and bemoaning Clancy's decision not to give Picamoles his try.

Brave and gutsy in the extreme. But fortunate...........and if you're being picky we bombed chances early on.

Take nothing away from the effort............but we were fortunate.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
daktari wrote: That said it took him until halftime to start penalising the props.
Census Johnston did/does not, will not or can not bind properly. He may be a big Unit but if he fails to fulfill one of the main parts of his trade what use is he?

A bit like his brother JJ at Quins, IMO of course.
At least Clancy pinged Johnson a few times for not binding/sweeping the arm. In Toulouse the sainted Nigel couldn't see it when it was obvious from half way up in the stand. Like most useless refs he was standing on the wrong side of the scrum for most of the match!

And in the not binding stakes Johnson J is exactly like his brother!
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Part of my Tigers day routine is to meet the players after the game and collect autographs. Over many years I have had the pleasure of meeting many players and (with the exception of only or or two) all have been exceptionally courteous and a pleasure to meet...until yesterday! The post match sportsmanship of the Toulouse team continued as they left the ground. With the exception of a couple of players, Doussain, Botha, the attitude of the Toulouse players was surly and dismissive. I appreciate that some of you may think that there is no God given right to engage with players and receive autographs. Fair enough. But Rugby is one of those sports where genuine interaction between fan and player is a regular occurance and most welcome. The walking off of the Tououse team was unacceptable. I also think that the way in which many of the team reacted to fans as they left was also unacceptable. IMHO of course!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Brianf wrote:The walking off of the Tououse team was unacceptable. I also think that the way in which many of the team reacted to fans as they left was also unacceptable. IMHO of course!
Quite so Brian and Julian Salvi appears to agree:

Bizarrely, Toulouse ran off without shaking hands or clapping off the winning team.

"That was strange and not really in the spirit of rugby," said Tigers' flanker Salvi afterwards. "Still, they are in the Amlin Cup and we are in the quarter-finals, so who cares?"

Nice one :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 Although to be fair I'm pretty sure (still haven't watched it back though so I could be wrong) that the (some if not all) players did shake hands on the pitch at the final whistle - just then ran off.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/d ... story.html
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Big Dai wrote:...............But we were fortunate to win. If you were a Toulouse fan you'd be calling for the kicker's head(s) (at least) and bemoaning Clancy's decision not to give Picamoles his try.

Brave and gutsy in the extreme. But fortunate...........and if you're being picky we bombed chances early on.

Take nothing away from the effort............but we were fortunate.
I don't disagree but couldn't it also be argued that Toulouse were fortunate to be awarded any points at all?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Brianf wrote:The walking off of the Tououse team was unacceptable. I also think that the way in which many of the team reacted to fans as they left was also unacceptable. IMHO of course!
Quite so Brian and Julian Salvi appears to agree:

Bizarrely, Toulouse ran off without shaking hands or clapping off the winning team.

"That was strange and not really in the spirit of rugby," said Tigers' flanker Salvi afterwards. "Still, they are in the Amlin Cup and we are in the quarter-finals, so who cares?"

Nice one :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 Although to be fair I'm pretty sure (still haven't watched it back though so I could be wrong) that the (some if not all) players did shake hands on the pitch at the final whistle - just then ran off.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/d ... story.html
Well that is another team that I have now lost all respect for. Good riddance to them I would say.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.