Castle Grim to be dropped for RWC2015?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Castle Grim to be dropped for RWC2015?

Post by BJ. »

According to today's The Rugby Paper, Kingsholm is in danger of being dropped from the final list of venues in favour of Ashton Gate.

If this is the case, then all of the three main rugby towns (Leicester, Gloucester & Northampton) that would have filled their grounds and created a good atmosphere have been disregarded.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Castle Grim to be dropped for RWC2015?

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

BJ. wrote:According to today's The Rugby Paper, Kingsholm is in danger of being dropped from the final list of venues in favour of Ashton Gate.

If this is the case, then all of the three main rugby towns (Leicester, Gloucester & Northampton) that would have filled their grounds and created a good atmosphere have been disregarded.
Not strictly true (unless I've missed something) as I thought the Crisp Bowl was on the short list?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I was referring to Welford Road, the Gardens and Castle Grim.
Last edited by BJ. on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Unfortunately, any ideas that this would be our World Cup have been shown to be ill-founded.
The WC belongs to the Blazer's and accountants at HQ. The supporters and clubs, the grass roots and heart of English rugby, have been dis-regarded and taken for granted. The claim is that we must sacrifice games to "grow support" (an awful phrase) in other parts of the country. Exactly why would any non-rugby people be inspired to try the sport after seeing a pool match in a half-empty, at best, wendy-ball mausoleum? In what way would that experience give any idea of a packed WR with the crowd in full cry, the sort of game that makes us put up with the worst that the weather and administrators can throw at us?

We will be expected to cough up at the turnstiles (where-ever they are), without the inner glow and pride that comes with hosting a world-cup match at our home. HQ doesn't care about me as a supporter, or a member of a great club, or as part of the core support for the national side - my only function appears to be to carry around and empty my wallet.

This opportunity to celebrate the greatest competition in our sport, at home, has been wasted.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I can imagine many Tigers, Stains and Glaws supporters would have turned up at their home grounds to watch a match, regardless of who was playing, just to be a part of the WC.

I cannot imagine those same supporters turning up at their nearest footy ground.

WC own goal! (note the footy reference? :smt003 )
Valhalla I am coming!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

fleabane wrote:I can imagine many Tigers, Stains and Glaws supporters would have turned up at their home grounds to watch a match, regardless of who was playing, just to be a part of the WC. I cannot imagine those same supporters turning up at their nearest footy ground.
Exactly.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It's going to be a tough decision- vote with our feet in protest at being taken for granted by the crass idiots on the executive committee or turn up regardless to help try and turn a farce into an event to be proud of. I went to see Sale at the Reebok a couple of years ago and it's not an experience I'd care to repeat, 10,000 confused fans being dwarfed by a giant concrete tomb.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Geographic dispersion for maximum coverage.

Taking Rugby Union to the masses, whilst ignoring the Rugby Union Masses.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Rinzler
Tiger Cub

Post by Rinzler »

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the main reason (cover story) for having games in Cardiff is to be close to the west country, particularly cities such as Bristol who have as good as links to Cardiff, give or take 10 extra minutes on the train, as they do Gloucester. Isn't it therefore seems completely pointless moving games from Gloucester to Bristol when allegedly Bristol have already been catered for by having games in Cardiff? This world cup has departed so far from the original bid that, as a rugby fan, I feel stabbed in the back for being led to believe this would be something more than a money making exercise.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Rinzler wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the main reason (cover story) for having games in Cardiff is to be close to the west country, .
I think the main reason for having games in Cardiff was a means of twisting the RFU's arm to secure the WRU vote for England to host the RWC.......could be wrong, just my opinion :smt002

Or, to be fair, the RFU's way of sweetening the WRU up to vote for them.....
Rinzler
Tiger Cub

Post by Rinzler »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Rinzler wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the main reason (cover story) for having games in Cardiff is to be close to the west country, .
oh yes, I agree that was the real reason; I was just pointing out that the given reason of being close to the west country was simply a cover, and today's rumour that Kingsholme will be dropped in favour of a Ashton Gate confirms that.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Rinzler wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote:
oh yes, I agree that was the real reason; I was just pointing out that the given reason of being close to the west country was simply a cover, and today's rumour that Kingsholme will be dropped in favour of a Ashton Gate confirms that.
Agreed :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

When a 24000 guaranteed sell-out internationally famous stadium is ignored, and idiot venues at football grounds chosen DESPITE the possibility that said grounds could be unavailable - then you knew the WC was going to be a blazers exercise in chucking money and goodwill away. This is expected to make piles of money......?

I will not be going to some random footie ground to see Fiji vs Georgia....but I would go to WR to see it, standing on the Crumbie. Sad I am, but that's how it is.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

We will probably all be dead by 2015.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Isambard wrote:We will probably all be dead by 2015.
Well said :smt003 particularly the way Tigers are giving palpitations on a weekly basis.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.