Castle Grim to be dropped for RWC2015?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Castle Grim to be dropped for RWC2015?

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
Isambard wrote:We will probably all be dead by 2015.
Well said :smt003 particularly the way Tigers are giving palpitations on a weekly basis.
Even if I am alive (unlikely) I shall not attend any WC matches.

Had they been at WR I would have!!!

:smt010
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:
Isambard wrote:We will probably all be dead by 2015.
Well said :smt003 particularly the way Tigers are giving palpitations on a weekly basis.
Even if I am alive (unlikely) I shall not attend any WC matches.

Had they been at WR I would have!!!

:smt010
Ditto. I think the RWC/RFU have missed the simple point that 24,000 in a 24,000 seater stadium produces more money than 15,000 in a 32,000 seater one, not to mention an atmosphere.

It isn't just a RWC agenda, however, but part of the bigger problem that the RFU don't actually 'approve' of club rugby except as provider for the National team (and we've seen what that leads to in Wales, Scotland and after their special generation, Ireland where after a few years you run out of players).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Forget the money, I'm sure they'll find a way of getting tickets sold, by selling it to lots of foreign travelers who aren't aware that the grounds they're going to are pretty poor and uninspiring grounds.

Imagine what people will say when they go back home: when people came back from NZ all I heard about was how the rugby people were just brilliant, everyone knew what they were talking about. Same for France, friend told me the best part was that every little rugby town that had a big rugby stadium near it was buzzing, and the stadiums were full with crazy-mad rugby people. If you use stadiums in non rugby-union areas, use none rugby union grounds and try to attract non rugby union fans you will completely dissipate all that atmosphere.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

youngtiger wrote:Forget the money, I'm sure they'll find a way of getting tickets sold, by selling it to lots of foreign travelers who aren't aware that the grounds they're going to are pretty poor and uninspiring grounds.

Imagine what people will say when they go back home: when people came back from NZ all I heard about was how the rugby people were just brilliant, everyone knew what they were talking about. Same for France, friend told me the best part was that every little rugby town that had a big rugby stadium near it was buzzing, and the stadiums were full with crazy-mad rugby people. If you use stadiums in non rugby-union areas, use none rugby union grounds and try to attract non rugby union fans you will completely dissipate all that atmosphere.
Couldn't agree more, mate.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Artuin
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Artuin »

I agree, Youngtiger, the atmosphere in New Zealand was brilliant throughout both islands. I loved it and was looking forward to WR as a possible stadium for WC. Ah we'll.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The Saffacens gave away nigh on 60,000 tickets for their game against us at Wembley - all to non-rugby fans. Is this the world cup model?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

When it gets to it, half the footie stadia could become unavaliable.

Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out WR, Kingsholm and the Gardens are used in the end; as ultimately if they can't use the football stadiums, where else are they going to use.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Why do some posters say they would not attend WC matches because they are in a football stadium? After all, going to Wembley doesn't seem to put people off.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:Why do some posters say they would not attend WC matches because they are in a football stadium? After all, going to Wembley doesn't seem to put people off.

I am onr of "some posters"/ I would attend a WC game at WR. I will not at the Crisp Bowl. WHY? Because WR is a Rugby Stadium frequented by Rogby supporters and the Crisp Bowl isn't
Still keeping the faith!
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Nailsworthstiger wrote:Why do some posters say they would not attend WC matches because they are in a football stadium? After all, going to Wembley doesn't seem to put people off.

I am onr of "some posters"/ I would attend a WC game at WR. I will not at the Crisp Bowl. WHY? Because WR is a Rugby Stadium frequented by Rogby supporters and the Crisp Bowl isn't
Did you not attend the Crisp Bowl when we played Barf there then Bill?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:

Did you not attend the Crisp Bowl when we played Barf there then Bill?
Indeed, I have attended the Crisp Bowl. But only when needs must. I shall not for the WC )n0t that it will actually be selected)

:smt009
Still keeping the faith!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I went to Wembley once. It put me off.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

The last time I went to Wembley was to see Queen on their 'Magic' tour. I have felt no desire to go there since.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

For reasons stated above , the boss and I shall not be attending any WC games although we would have been at all WR games. We will most likely go somewhere like Spain and watch the games in the sunshine.
Absolutely no desire to be surrounded by a non-rugby crowd who don't know how to behave a rugby match.
I expect mass marketing, tickets sold at reduced prices, load of people in fancy dress more excited about being able to drink beer at a game and keen to get the Mexican wave going as long as possible. No doubt the stadia will be blaring out music and inane comments at max volume. Any rugby convert who actually enjoys this and then comes to WR will have a big shock.
I only hope the organisers don't lose money that will affect the game going forward.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Absolutely no desire to be surrounded by a non-rugby crowd who don't know how to behave a rugby match.
I expect mass marketing, tickets sold at reduced prices, load of people in fancy dress more excited about being able to drink beer at a game and keen to get the Mexican wave going as long as possible.
What makes you think that WR would have been any different to this? It's not as if tickets for games that could have been held there would have been offered to Tigers fans first, it will be mass marketed tickets, but with the added risk of having to sit in the Crumbie stand and suffer 80 minutes of discomfort whilst you watch the game.

I for one will try and get tickets for any games that are near me, whether they are in rugby or football stadia.