Jumping On The Try Scorer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Jumping On The Try Scorer

Post by Kinoulton »

Yet again the BBC News just now showed a player crossing the line and grounding the ball unopposed, and from out of camera shot some bloke came in and tried to jump on him when the try was already nailed on.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Jumping On The Try Scorer

Post by fleabane »

Yellow, or possibly red?
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I would say red.

It is complete cowardice.

Of course you want to prevent a try, but if the try has already been scored then to jump on the back of the scorer is horrid.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Kinoulton wrote:I would say red.

Of course you want to prevent a try, but if the try has already been scored then to jump on the back of the scorer is horrid.

Agreed. I thought it was both pointless and unpleasant.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Common practice in SA?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Knee drops used to be far more common years ago before the advent of cards and largely went unpunished.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:I would say red.

I eould concur -red.

And after the conversion a penalty from the half way line.
Still keeping the faith!
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
As per our game against Worcester, although the first time I've actually seen it in a Premiership game.
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Old Hob wrote:Knee drops used to be far more common years ago before the advent of cards and largely went unpunished.
Agree with that. Seemed a shoddy thing to do even at the time though. A rugby watching friend has been moaning about this for years as it is totally unnecessary and even now seems to happen an awful lot more than it should.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Ads677 wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:
As per our game against Worcester, although the first time I've actually seen it in a Premiership game.
Last time I can remember before this one (and it wasn't a premiership game) was in our 32-32 draw with Opspreys when Billy 12T made his début and Craig Newby 'starred' at centre as described here. It too was just before half-time and it too was missed!
Last edited by DickyP on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I recall Delon Armitage's lunge with his studs showing at Crane's hands as he went over to score in the Premiership final against London Irish, I was seething! These dead leg knee drops are not very sporting!
Cheery chappy
littlemark

Post by littlemark »

It seems to be a case of taking advantage of the fact that whilst everyone is focused on the try, the fouled player is less likely to make an issue of it, similarly his team mates, and also the ref/linesmen. I've also noticed that in a similar way, citings are rarely made after a cup final, which I suspect is down to not wanting to spoil the positive story of the match by highlighting foul/violent play.

Mark
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I think this is definitely on the increase and is creeping in at lower level. I was at an U15 game at the weekend (not involving my home town - for the detectives amongst you!) where a section of the supporters/coaches were amazed when a lad was yellow carded for just such an offence. Fortunately the ref spotted it. But sadly at this level with no official touch judges it can often go unpunished if the ref is more focussed watching the grounding etc.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

DickyP wrote:
Ads677 wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:
Last time I can remember before this one (and it wasn't a premiership game) was in our 32-32 draw with Opspreys when Billy 12T made his début and Craig Newby 'starred' at centre as described here. It too was just before half-time and it too was missed!
It was called at the time, as per the link you posted. 12T hit the post with the resultant penalty.
Tigers struck back immediately with their second try through Twelvetrees. Tigers won possession from an up-and-under in midfield and Twelvetrees out-sprinted the Ospreys defence to score on the right. Twelvetrees, who had taken over kicking duties, added the extras to reduce the Ospreys' lead to 23-15.

Referee Alain Rolland gave Tigers a penalty to restart, deeming Phillips had infringed as Twelvetrees scored the try, but the centre struck a post with his kick from halfway.
I remember Henson was peanlised for something similar against Murphy in the 2005 Six Nations, IIRC Henson went in football style as Murphy was diving to score, but pulled out and there was no contact. Try awarded and play restarted with an Irish Penalty on halfway.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God