6 Nations-Bonus Points?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

paula123

6 Nations-Bonus Points?

Post by paula123 »

What does everyone think to bonus points being introduced to the 6 Nations?

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25 ... 73,00.html
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations-Bonus Points?

Post by DickyP »

Totally crass - just because everyone else is being silly it doesn't mean the 6N have to be. More importantly if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you had adopted the Tri-Nations (now Rugby Championship) method of differentiating when equal on points including BP for the 6N then in 2002 England would have been champions even though France did the Grand Slam! Just doesn't make sense.

Even the rather tenuous reasoning for BP that they "encourage attacking play" doesn't make sense in the 6N.

If they are introduced as a means of ranking teams who are otherwise equal on points they might just make sense.

Personally I'd rather go back to the old system of not differentiating and sharing the championship if equal on points.

All the ranking on points difference, BP etc is based on the idiotic assumptions that one win is better than another. This may be true but the assumption that beating a bad team by 50 points ranks better than beating the best by 1 point is clearly flawed.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The original idea behind the introduction of bonus points was to encourage teams to keep attacking to gain a try bonus point, or to gain a point from a match they might otherwise just concede as lost. Like many, I remember the days when the last quarter of a match petered out to nothing, with neither team making any attacking effort at all.

Bring them on!
Valhalla I am coming!
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Why not?

BUT : Maybe an over ride that a Grand Slam beats all.
Possible to be P5 W4 L1 all wins 5pts ! LBP in the defeat = 21 pts
Grand Slam - P5 W5 L0 no BP wins = 20 pts

Therefore - Grand Slam Trumps All!!

Unlikely to happen really - or is it?
Tigers - true Champions!
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Struggle to work when some teams play 3 home matches and others only 2. An away win without a bonus point is better in my book than a home win with a bonus point. Unfortunately, this would not be the case if bonus points exist.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Good point Tomvarndell - had escaped my post new yr addled brain!

OK we now invite Georgia! Since the Chauchescues (maybe wrongspelling!!) Roumania have deteriorated. Would have been ideal to have Argentina, maybe using Spain or Portugal or even Italy as a home ground!
Tigers - true Champions!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

It's actually just a plot by the RFU to have a reason to turn the 6N into a home and away competition and add another 5 internationals to the season with an extra 2 or 3 home games to bring in more millions at the expense of the clubs who'll lose their players for even more games.

The proposed BP introduction adds absolutely nothing to the competition and appears solely driven by money and not competition or the needs of rugby. If it's not this then it's even worse - the RFU are proposing it just to keep up with 'fashion' and can't think for themselves.
jack wrote:Unlikely to happen really - or is it?
Look at 6N in 2002. Using BP if France hadn't got the TBP agains Ireland in their last game England would have won the 6N with France doing a Grand Slam. As I pointed out earlier even with both on 21 points as they would have been by the Tri-Nations rules England would still have been champions as their points difference was better and the Tri-Nations rules made no reference to separating on games won.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Again something I hadn't thought of.
A home and away 6N would mean a complete restructuring of the game as we know it. International teams would have to contract players in the same way as cricket does now. You would rarely see your internationals play for their clubs.
It could be said that a restructuring is long overdue. Sadly the S. Hemisphere has it more or less right - internationals, Super rugby and Club competitions are quite seperate. We may find that this brings in Regional rugby whether we like it or not. Maybe no need for Tigers fans to worry, some regions in SH are also clubs virtually.
Plenty to think about. Least of our problems being the disintegration of Randrews' wonderful egaliterian agreement with the clubs.
Tigers - true Champions!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I'm split between opinions:

On the one hand its very out dated, and the fact that all other rugby plays with the bonus points system does seem to that its about time that the "Flagship tournament of the Northern Hemisphere" got with the times.

On the other hand if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can't remember ever speaking to any rugby fan who moaned that the six nations should have the bonus point system. Since when has international rugby ever been about anything other than winning!