What we need is a captain!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: What we need is a captain!!!!

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

You forget Plan F - win whatever way you can.

Considering some of you are always complaining we only have Plan A, how is it that you have recognised the fact we have B,C,D and E as well. :smt003 :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

This season a mixture of Parling, Deacon and GM will get us through wearing the armband.

Long term two outside bets that I think would represent us well are Slater and Tom Youngs.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I think we have a lot of lieutenant like figures in the pack. It is a young pack and if we can keep them together I think they will mature into a very useful pack. Players like Deacon, Parling, Cole and Youngs (Tom) are all great players. We need a Johnno like figure in that pack. Someone to intimidate the referee and opponents mentally. Other than that I think we have an excellent young pack coming through. Mulipola, Youngs, Cole, Salvi, Croft, Mafi, Crane, Hawkins, Kitchener and Slater are all under or are 27. If we can keep this core group of players together over the next 5 years we will be very strong. In the backs I would say that in the long term Ford (if he stays) could be captain. He has captained England at U18 and U20 level. In the near future though I would say Parling (again if he stays) should captain the team after Smurphs and Deacons retirement. Looking forward to this young team evolving!
butler8
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by butler8 »

i think the captain should inspire the other guys with his commitment and enthusiasm both physically and through spoken word. he should not intimidate the ref but build a rapport and questing some of his judegments without losing respect for him. he should intimidate the opposition and lead into battle. i dont think any one of our current squad is the person. not ticking every box. i like how murphy talks to the ref and leads by example in many aspects and is without doubt many times better than the others who have tried and failed recently, parling, crane and deacon.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Has to be Allen or Salvi for me! :smt023
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Totally agree with the need - last night there were times when penalties were awarded that several players appeared unsure about what should happen. Fine with the decision to start off kicking for touch if that was the pre-determined plan, but when we were behind everyone seemed to be unsure of do we don't we take the points attempt.

A good captain would be leading that decision not having a board meeting. Parling would be my choice but I don't think he will be here next year, Cole not for me and neither would be TTE, Crane or Slater. I do think now that I would give it to Salvi - is a leader in terms of play and will be close to any play that needs a decisive move or change of direction. I would also appoint Flood or Allen as VC.
Hehehehehehehehe
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

Would be interesting to see what kind of leader Allen is, I think he has the confidence to speak to the ref and he can certainly inspire the team. As said in other threads, When Murphy, Allen and Salvi are not playing there is a difference in our performance.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

GM is definitely the best Captain when available. Nobody has mentioned Flood, why? He's assured of his place, is intelligent and plays in the perfect position to see exactly what's going on in the match.

If GM retires next season I would go with Flood and Parling (if he's still here) or Salvi if he's not.

The pre requisites for a Captain are to be a near certain starter, confidence and intelligence. LD failed the last test v Worcester by taking 2 or 3 scrums instead of kicking for goal from 20m out. All IMHO of course!
Soggypitch
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Soggypitch wrote:GM is definitely the best Captain when available. Nobody has mentioned Flood, why? He's assured of his place, is intelligent and plays in the perfect position to see exactly what's going on in the match.

If GM retires next season I would go with Flood and Parling (if he's still here) or Salvi if he's not.

The pre requisites for a Captain are to be a near certain starter, confidence and intelligence. LD failed the last test v Worcester by taking 2 or 3 scrums instead of kicking for goal from 20m out. All IMHO of course!

I agree. In the absence of any dominant characters amongst the big boys, Toby fits the bill.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think that for Tigers, a front eight grunt needs to be captain; for me, Slater to lead the scrum, Toby to marshall the backs, Croft to Captain the team.
Valhalla I am coming!