New Kit Design Rumour

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Alatoruk

Re: New Kit Design Rumour

Post by Alatoruk »

Agree with the comments re European Kit - looks the best of the 3. Also agree that the Biarritz 2nd kit from a few years ago (if I remember correctly the one they played us in during a friendly) would make a much better away kit.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

fleabane wrote: ... and for all the nay-sayers on here, there are o lot of people wearing the shirts! ...
That was really my point earlier - there are a lot more of the player style shirts of the current tiger stripe design being bought and worn than previous player designs, but they in no way make up for demise of the the huge numbers of 'classic' replicas which were previously the bulk of the shirt trade: eg, a 100% increase on a product line which is only 20% of your sales doesn't for instance cover an 60% drop in what was the other 80%.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

As a design, I rather like this season's Kooga home jersey of fellow Cotton Traders refugees, Worcester, with the white and gold hoops being rendered as horizontal spikes.

I'd like to see a return to a hooped design for Tigers.

I would also argue for going back to a more traditional shade of green. It is still dark enough to count as 'dark kit'. The current shade goes almost black with a bit of wet/sweat.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I'm not sure this is simply leading to a new kit design. It's not just a sale on shirts, but a lot of the training kit being out of stock with staff having doubts about restocking.

As everyone remembers Tigers signed an agreement with JD Sports who owned Canterbury UK at the time. Canterbury was then sold to Pentland. Maybe the board sees this as a way of getting out of the contract and looking for a more lucrative deal.

I want to doubt it as I think this would be good way to p*ss off the supporters, but then again stranger things have happened and I wouldn't put it past them.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Personally I don't care who makes our kit. If we are able to negotiate a kit deal that that earns us more revenue then we should. Why would that annoy supporters? You surely haven't developed an attachment to Canterbury...?
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Iain wrote:Personally I don't care who makes our kit. If we are able to negotiate a kit deal that that earns us more revenue then we should. Why would that annoy supporters? You surely haven't developed an attachment to Canterbury...?
Quality is the only thing I care about. I like the home kit and Euro kit but really don't like the colours on the away kit, but in general the quality of all the garments is a huge improvement on the cotton trader stuff.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

What? Really? That's a joke surely?
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Iain wrote:What? Really? That's a joke surely?

My family have made more purchases since the change of provider than in the previous 5 years, so there are some out there that think Canterbury has a more interesting and desirable range than CT had.

As always, there are two sets of opinions .....:argue:

:smt023
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Years ago the Cotton Traders replica shirts were excellent quality, as time moved on the quality slowly declined until the the last couple of shirts were far smaller and shorter and no where near the original kit.
But I have to say I liked most of the designs.
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

I do like the Canterbury kit but i do find the sizing very small compared to other makes!!!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

tigerman wrote:I do like the Canterbury kit but i do find the sizing very small compared to other makes!!!
Try being built like an old style prop who was not built for getting around the park and finding a Nike England shirt that fits you....I fit quite nicely in the Canterbury sizing
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
tigerman wrote:I do like the Canterbury kit but i do find the sizing very small compared to other makes!!!
Try being built like an old style prop who was not built for getting around the park and finding a Nike England shirt that fits you....I fit quite nicely in the Canterbury sizing
Let's be honest Cotton Traders sizing was a bit on the generous size. I'm a fat boy and all my CT shirts are a medium, whereas with other manufacturers like canterbury, kooga & addidas I take a large.

I much prefer the range canterbury have produced, bought more gear since canterbury took over than I ever did with Cotton Traders.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I would love Tigers to get out of the contract with Canterbury.

I don't like Canterbury due to their influential involvement in clubs moving away from the traditional loose fitting cotton shirts with collars and feel that they, whilst claiming to have a history and understanding of Rugby have played a massive part in destroying a tradition that made Rugby Union uniquely identifiable. By doing this they have also played a big part in the issues with scums at the moment as the shirts are too tight and players can't get a bind.

I also do not like their current kit designs and feel they show a complete lack of understanding of our clubs identity and traditions.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I would love Tigers to get out of the contract with Canterbury.

I don't like Canterbury due to their influential involvement in clubs moving away from the traditional loose fitting cotton shirts with collars and feel that they, whilst claiming to have a history and understanding of Rugby have played a massive part in destroying a tradition that made Rugby Union uniquely identifiable. By doing this they have also played a big part in the issues with scums at the moment as the shirts are too tight and players can't get a bind.
You can't blame Canterbury for the tight fitting rugby shirt - that's all down to Clive Woodward asking Nike to produce them in readiness for the RWC back in 2003. The craze for them grew from there.

Of course we'd all really like players to be in cotton shirts - they're so much better to play in when it's chucking it down. Maybe we should get Europa Sports to do the kit again.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote: I also do not like their current kit designs and feel they show a complete lack of understanding of our clubs identity and traditions.
I don't think you can blame Canterbury for that either - they will have been given a brief from the club and they will have come up with the designs. Tigers will have approved the designs, so it is the club who is showing a perceived lack of understanding of its own identity and traditions