Tigers v Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Worcester

Post by G.K »

I thought Thorpe was our second choice 7? Unless he's injured (is he ?) then I don't understand why he didn't start on Friday, I realise we have to ease Mafi and Croft back in but that should not be at the expense of having an unbalanced back row and a risk of losing the game.

As for the rest of the forwards, the tight five were obviously on top but Castro and Lulo looked to be a bit unfit and sluggish (even for props). Don't quite understand why Kitch disn't get on, especially after Croft was subbed, as I would have thought he could have livened things up a bit in the last 15/20.

I thought both Flood and Youngs played poorly and can someone, anyone, stop them doing those pointess kicks to the opposition with no decent chase. Even on a turnover against 14 they kick the ball away. :smt013

Not yet convinced about Bowden at 12 or Tait at FB. I would say Murphy, Hamilton and Morris are a better option at FB and personally I'd prefer to see Tait at wing or centre.

All in all it was another get out of gaol win but for me there have been too many of these and sooner or later we'll start loosing these games. Need a big improvement in the next two games or it will be bye bye HC again.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

One thing that struck me was that despite the size and pace of Thompstone whilst he did make an excellent try saving tackle on a static player he seems to have a real issue with tackling a mobile player.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Not yet convinced about Bowden at 12 or Tait at FB. I would say Murphy, Hamilton and Morris are a better option at FB and personally I'd prefer to see Tait at wing or centre.
Agree re Bowden. Tait however, made only one mistake pre broken nose and that was a sliced lick. Scotty had an awful game and is well down the pecking order for good reason. Morris lacks both the vision and creativity to be a Tigers first choice full back but is a great winger. Tait is coming on nicely, showed some skill for the try and whilst not as good as Geordie he may be in the future. Let's face it a like for like replacement for Murphy will cost too much. Tait is currently cheap, skillfull and doing a better job than any other pretender has done in recent seasons.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

sam16111986 wrote:
Agree re Bowden. Tait however, made only one mistake pre broken nose and that was a sliced lick. Scotty had an awful game and is well down the pecking order for good reason. Morris lacks both the vision and creativity to be a Tigers first choice full back but is a great winger. Tait is coming on nicely, showed some skill for the try and whilst not as good as Geordie he may be in the future. Let's face it a like for like replacement for Murphy will cost too much. Tait is currently cheap, skillfull and doing a better job than any other pretender has done in recent seasons.
Whilst I agree about Bowden who is a nice attacker but a liability in defence I must take issue with your other assessments of the backs. Morris has shown a lot more invention running the ball back from deep so far than Tait and has proven safe under high balls. Tait didn't only make one mistake prior to his nose - he dropped a high ball with no-one within 20 metres of him in the first half! Scotty did most emphatically not have an awful game - where's your evidence for this assertion? He attacked well, showed strength in attack and defence, his kicks were well directed, and made all his tackles, not to mention taking his try well. Indeed according to at least two newspapers he was the pick of our backs!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Big Dai wrote:
DickyP wrote: Talking about ring rusty: it is clear that Matt Tait is slowly getting his mojo back but it's taking longer than I expected. Cracking break to set up Hamilton for the try but still dodgy under the high ball compared with Murphy. Yet again last night managed to knock-on when under no pressure catching a high kick.
I felt sorry for the lad on that one. Tried hard with his hooter spread across his face and eyes streaming. Bubbles could have come forward a bit?
Wasn't talking about this dropped ball (understandable, even if not excusable) but the one he made in the first half when no-one was within 20 metres of him!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Will be nice to see Tait on a firm dry pitch. Still improving and I think the late season crunch matches will see him at his best.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Thought Wuss played well and our team did enough,we are lucky to have enough great players available that we can change 80% of the team and go away and grind out a good result.
I think that Floodys tackle was no where near a tip tackle,there were other players who had their hands on Goode.
I think we are going to miss him this coming weekend if he is banned,were I Cockers I would have the appeal ready Monday night.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Any news on Matt's nose? Will a break keep him out of the next game?
Valhalla I am coming!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

fleabane wrote:Any news on Matt's nose? Will a break keep him out of the next game?
I would assume given the fact injuries have kept him out for so long, he'll find a way of playing.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

jgriffin wrote:
kpbates wrote:What can you say?
Categorically undeserved, such profligate kicking away of good possession. Then when we had to keep it alive we play wonderfully. 3 mins brilliance, 77 mins dross.
:smt017
I too couldn't work out why we were kicking and not chasing. Taity particularly in the first half. I spoke to Tom Youngs as the match finished - he said how surprised the tigers players were with the state of the pitch. when the were warming up. He said it was very boggy, but from the stands it looked in good condition in the main all lush and green. I went onto the pitch after the match and yes - it was like walking on a soaking wet sponge.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="sam16111986"][quote] Not yet convinced about Bowden at 12 or Tait at FB. I would say Murphy, Hamilton and Morris are a better option at FB and personally I'd prefer to see Tait at wing or centre. [/quote]

Agree re Bowden. Tait however, made only one mistake pre broken nose and that was a sliced lick. Scotty had an awful game and is well down the pecking order for good reason. Morris lacks both the vision and creativity to be a Tigers first choice full back but is a great winger. Tait is coming on nicely, showed some skill for the try and whilst not as good as Geordie he may be in the future. Let's face it a like for like replacement for Murphy will cost too much. Tait is currently cheap, skillfull and doing a better job than any other pretender has done in recent seasons.[/quote]

I heard that Tom Homer was looking for a move, a good young fullback....who can kick aswell
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Long term I see Tait at 13 with Manu at 12 , but that depends on whether we sign a Homer or Watson who are both young oirish full backs. If they get relegated, and I think they will (Sale have improved their defence whereas oirish have got worse). Anyway if they get relegated I doubt they would be able to keep their star players and I would expect we would make a move for one of them. Good to see Tait is showing some Tiger spirit, Worcester player deliberately swings his arm and slaps him open palmed in the face breaking his nose. He kept playing, yes he dropped a few high balls due to the fact he probably couldn't see as his eyes were watering. He then went on to make our last try with his break and quality offload. It seems like he is desperate to repay us which is good.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerLad wrote:Long term I see Tait at 13 with Manu at 12 , but that depends on whether we sign a Homer or Watson who are both young oirish full backs. If they get relegated, and I think they will (Sale have improved their defence whereas oirish have got worse). Anyway if they get relegated I doubt they would be able to keep their star players and I would expect we would make a move for one of them. Good to see Tait is showing some Tiger spirit, Worcester player deliberately swings his arm and slaps him open palmed in the face breaking his nose. He kept playing, yes he dropped a few high balls due to the fact he probably couldn't see as his eyes were watering. He then went on to make our last try with his break and quality offload. It seems like he is desperate to repay us which is good.
Tate was signed as a replacement for Murphy and I believe that is where his future at Tigers remains. He showed a lot of spunk to stay on the pitch and still keep going after that horrendous and no doubt very painful nose break :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

TigerLad wrote:Long term I see Tait at 13 with Manu at 12 , but that depends on whether we sign a Homer or Watson who are both young oirish full backs. If they get relegated, and I think they will (Sale have improved their defence whereas oirish have got worse). Anyway if they get relegated I doubt they would be able to keep their star players and I would expect we would make a move for one of them. Good to see Tait is showing some Tiger spirit, Worcester player deliberately swings his arm and slaps him open palmed in the face breaking his nose. He kept playing, yes he dropped a few high balls due to the fact he probably couldn't see as his eyes were watering. He then went on to make our last try with his break and quality offload. It seems like he is desperate to repay us which is good.
I think it will be Sale who go down, London Irish had a good away win against Glos this weekend and look like they have more confidence.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Murphy as we all know is virtually irreplaceable..
But Tait and Morris are pretty decent replacements and will fill the bill..
Hamilton-like everyone in every professional sport- is on the downcurve..he has been a great asset to us.
We still need , must have-- a real flier or even two of them-in the backs-----
With Varndell /Wade-or similar-- we would be right up with the best.!!!