Tigers v Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Worcester

Post by 4071 »

Richard Hill a bit nervy about the scrum battle this Friday? Bit of pressure on the ref not to be too unkind to the home side?

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-20 ... 75192.html
Worcester Warriors boss Richard Hill has hit out at the state of scrums in the modern game and has labelled them a "lottery".

Hill has called on rugby's authorities to address that specific area of the game and also look at whether there should be a change in the laws. He believes that rather than giving free-kicks at scrums, referees should let the game flow.

"There has to be a change to the laws because, I'm not being funny, it is a lottery at the moment," Hill told Worcester News. "Any coach, player, forward or forwards coach will say to you that you might as well toss a coin to decide what happens at a scrum.

"One week you will do one thing in the scrum and not get penalised, but the next week you will do exactly the same and get penalised. Every scrum in a game is literally a lottery - you always think 'there will be a free-kick here' but you have no idea who it is going to go to. That cannot be right, you have to play a little bit more advantage and let the game flow."

Hill added that he believes the recent introduction of the call 'crouch, touch, pause, engage' is partly to blame for the increased number of penalties and breaks in play caused by scrums in recent seasons.

"It is very frustrating, I really don't know what is going on," Hill continued. "How many times can a team get a three-quarters move from a scrum? We hardly ever work on moves from a scrum because you just don't get them.

"Every scrum is a free-kick, a penalty or a complete mess - it's so hard and I have no idea why. I think it started when the health and safety hit us with this 'crouch, touch, pause, engage' nonsense. Every time a scrum goes down, the referee has to reset. In the old days, if it went down, it went down and you just used to play on. So, in my view, don't blow for a free-kick, just let the game flow and it would be a much better game if we just did that.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Must be an old report as the calls this season are Crouch Touch Set. :smt017
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

I think the squad will be:

15 Mathew Tait
14 Scott Hamilton
13 Matt Smith
12 Dan Bowden
11 Adam Thompstone
10 Toby Flood
9 Ben Youngs
1 Logovi'i Mulipola
2 Rob Hawkins
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 Louis Deacon (c)
5 Ed Slater
6 Tom Croft
7 Steve Mafi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 George Chuter
17 Marcos Ayerza
18 Dan Cole
19 Graham Kitchener
20 Julian Salvi
21 Micky Young
22 Anthony Allen
23 Niall Morris
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Is Cockers striking early again.
:smt023
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Worcester's team is up...

15 Chris Pennell
14 Josh Drauniniu
13 Alex Grove
12 Jon Clarke
11 David Lemi
10 Andy Goode
9 Jonny Arr

1 Ceri Jones
2 Aleki Lutui
3 Euan Murray
4 James Percival (c)
5 Dean Schofield
6 Sam Betty
7 Matt Kvesic
8 Semisi Taulava

Replacements
16 Ed Shervington
17 Matt Mullan
18 John Andress
19 Chris Jones
20 Neil Best
21 Ollie Frost
22 Danny Gray
23 Josh Matavesi
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

And Tigers team is up exactly as Jumbo predicted.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

The teams:

Worcester: 15 Chris Pennell, 14 Josh Drauniniu, 13 Alex Grove, 12 Jon Clarke, 11 David Lemi, 10 Andy Goode, 9 Jonny Arr, 8 Semisi Taulava, 7 Matt Kvesic, 6 Sam Betty, 5 Dean Schofield, 4 James Percival (c), 3 Euan Murray, 2 Aleki Lutui, 1 Ceri Jones.
Replacements: 16 Ed Shervington, 17 Matt Mullan, 18 John Andress, 19 Chris Jones, 20 Neil Best, 21 Ollie Frost, 22 Danny Gray, 23 Josh Matavesi.

Leicester: 15 Mathew Tait, 14 Scott Hamilton, 13 Matt Smith, 12 Dan Bowden, 11 Adam Thompstone, 10 Toby Flood, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Thomas Waldrom, 7 Steve Mafi, 6 Tom Croft, 5 Ed Slater, 4 Louis Deacon (c), 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Rob Hawkins, 1 Logovi'i Mulipola.
Replacements: 16 George Chuter, 17 Marcos Ayerza, 18 Dan Cole, 19 Graham Kitchener, 20 Julian Salvi, 21 Micky Young, 22 Anthony Allen, 23 Niall Morris.

From Planetrugby
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Thanks Jumbo :smt002 , that's a good looking team you've picked there,right balance with one eye on the following weekend :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I reckon it may prove a long evening at sixways, we might struggle to get the win with this team.
Time will tell.
(I undertsand the reasons for the selections)
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
covrich

Post by covrich »

Great to see Croft back, hope he goes well

Mafi did well last weekend!

Good to finally see some of our BRs coming back
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Pleased with that side and it should be good enough to get the 4 points, the strong bench could well be decisive. It will be interesting to see how Croft and Mafi go together but I think they are basically competing for the 6 shirt next week, likewise Hamilton and Thompstone for a wing berth.

Great to see Crofty back though!!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

no FH cover on the bench which is unusual for Cockers? Bowden will cover I realise, but with his track record with injury, it may be a risk?
Less is more....
covrich

Post by covrich »

Also Pleased to see Flood back, hopefully he can get straight back into it (and kick the goals)
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I shall look forward to watching this team on Friday night with my brother, an ex-Warrior and long-term Worcester supporter.

I think that I will be buying his beer in commiseration of their first home defeat since the beginning of the season....
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Resting HC players - I assume this is why there is no Manu unless it's because he has been eating too many Jaffa cakes !

Also No Niki Goneva - I can't remember - Is he injured ?

Good to see Toby has survived his mini bout of Novo virus or similar !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15