If you could change one rule, what would it be and why?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Northeast Tiger

Re: If you could change one rule, what would it be and why?

Post by Northeast Tiger »

For teams in a league. i.e. Premiership, 6 Nations etc.
4 Points for a penalty.
5 for a try.
2 for a conversion.
4 Points for a win plus 1 point for every try scored.
All teams to engage at scrum time without the smash on set. When all sixteen are engaged then the Ref call set. Ball to be put in immediately.Looshead can put left arm on knee for stability if preferred but not on ground. Tight head not to bind on arm.
Happy New Year
:smt054
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

A simple law change at scrum time... let the ref put the ball in, at least it would go in straight and that then may introduce a new position on the park. I think I would call it a "Hooker" :smt005
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DickyP wrote:I just wish they'd enforce the existing Laws (whatever flavour they may be - stupid or sensible) so that we know where we stand. Only then can we sensibly start changing them. The list of ignored laws includes:

Feeding the ball straight in to the scrum.
Scrums not pushing before the ball is put in.
Player throwing in at the line-out (typically the hooker) to have his feet outside the field of play.
Blatant obstruction by decoy runners - if you are ahead of the ball and distracting the opposition you are offside - it matters not a jot whether you actually impede someone.
Offside at kick-off.
Binding before shoving when entering rucks and mauls. Get rid of players flying into rucks with their shoulders.
Enforce side entry on attacking teams as well as defending ones.

... and I could go on.

One system that isn't a law I'd get rid of is bonus points: I still fail to see why a big win against a poor side is worth more than a tight one against a good one, or why we reward teams for be less of a failure than then they might have been - the whole concept of bonus points doesn't stand up logically. The object of the game, despite some peoples protestations, is NOT to score tries but the score points. Also big scores are not the same thing as excitement: if they were everybody would watch Basketball (possibly the most tedious spectator sport ever invested) and not the various Football codes.
Agree 100% with this post. Tackled player who has been turned - it is up to support to drive over to secure the ball. Probably the one thing I hate most is to see a defending player, who has tackled well and turned an attacker, thwarted by the tackled player rolling back over. If you are on the deck you are out of it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Concur with this!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I would love to see us use refs from the southern hemisphere, this I think they are a bit more I touch with the modern game plus they do like to. Let the game flow a lot more.

Players not rolling away is another rule that I would love to see stopped, always found this hard as if you are at the bottom of a ruck and have a handful of players on top how the hell can you roll away!

I wouldlove a trial of doing away with any of the off side rules for about half a season to see how games would pan out, eg, would you have a more flowing game and a better game for us the fans to watch just like in the good old days :smt023

I would like the RFU to appoint former players as referees as they have played in the pro game unlike the shambles that we have at the moment :smt038
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Dai wrote
Not a law change ..................or is it? Get back to a passive scrum engagement and get the chopsy little sod in the number 9 shirt to put the ball in straight.

The ref would have the chance to sort the bind before the shoving commenced, cutting needless penaty restarts. We'd cut the risk of injury the collision brings and we'd get back to a proper shoving contest.
I have been advocating this for years. It's so :censored: obvious.
A life long Tiger
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

chappie wrote:I would love to see us use refs from the southern hemisphere, this I think they are a bit more I touch with the modern game plus they do like to. Let the game flow a lot more.
Totally, utterly and absolutely disagree with this one - they are the root cause of all the current laws problems in that they play what they'd like to be the laws instead of the actual laws. If they'd made SH players comply with the laws the game would still flow and we'd stop getting half-baked changes which invariably are only fully implemented by NH refs and which invariably have exactly the opposite effect to that intended.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

One rule to change Straight put ins.

One organisational rule to change. Move the IRB/ERC and any other prawn blazer organisations to Swindon.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

mol2 wrote:
physiodan wrote:
mol2 wrote: End the concept of a maul being different to open play as far as the offside rule is concerned.
If a player is holding the ball he can be tackled by a player entering from any position. Once the ball has been passed from the front player in the maul it must be passed within 5 seconds or any player in front is offside.
I disagree. When a Maul is moving it is an artform which should not be removed from the game. What next? The scrum half can take the ball from the opposition scrum. If any player can tackle a player from any postion in a Maul it will make it dangerous as a maul which is made stable by teams pushing against each other, not by pulling it down.
mol2 wrote: I'd change another - just to stop the number of penalties at the tackle situation.
If a player is brought to the ground he must release the ball (regardless of if held or not) and can only play it once he gets to his feet. (Too often players are taken down, released by the tackler only to find that the tackled player gets up and carries on and the ref allows it)
Is this not the law anyway, just poorly refereed?

This change would effectively take make it much easier for the ref.
mol2 wrote: Likewise the tackler should not be penalised for holding on - until the tackled player has released the ball.
If the tackler is holding the player around his arms and the ball, how can the tackled player release the ball? The reason the tackler must release the tackled player is so that they can release the ball.

What we see time after time are players legitimately tackled, often turned in the tackle yet, the moment they are released roll over holding the ball and pushing it back to their own side of the ruck. releasing the ball is a passive "act" - short of the tackler hugging the tackled player and the ball getting trapped it can always be released.
mol2 wrote:While we are at it - props top wear loose fitting cotton shirts to enable binding.
This is somthing that is agree with to a degree but I feel rather that loose shirts which can impede then when running as they can be scragged by the shirt, i feel that a reinforced piece of material should be added under the armpit where props have to bind. failure to bind on this means a penalty.
Do props run fast enough to get scragged?
You dont have to be running fast to be scragged, you just need to be at arms reach of the deffender and I'm pretty sure Tiny, Sheridan and Ayerza, although not 100m sprinters would argue about the speed element.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

Isambard wrote:One rule to change Straight put ins.

One organisational rule to change. Move the IRB/ERC and any other prawn blazer organisations to Swindon.
what have the poor people of Swindon ever done to you, that you wish this great ill upon them?

personally, I would recommend a relocation to Jupiter's moon of Ganymede!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Or Neptune? :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

One rule to change Straight put in.

How about getting opposition sc rum half to put ball in? Should cause a bit of fun!!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Richard Hill has his say . . .

http://tinyurl.com/afzwnu3
Valhalla I am coming!
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

A non kick at goal penalty for player not releasing or holding onto the ball when tackled to the floor. Hate seeing sides staying in the game with a couple of long range penalty kicks due to other side trying to play running rugby around the half way line and a player getting isolated.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

If you play running rugby, the idea is you have support lines to prevent players getting isolated . . .
Valhalla I am coming!