Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Off Piste Tiger

Re: Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

This story is off and running again.
How much do you think Tigers will require to release Castro from the final year of his contract £ 200K ?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

£100k was quoted in the papers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

According to planet rugby. Talks today between Tigers and Toulon about a transfer fee for Castro :smt022
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

old one eye wrote:According to planet rugby. Talks today between Tigers and Toulon about a transfer fee for Castro :smt022
To be precise and I quote the opening line of the article, "Toulon have allegedly begun negotiations with Leicester Tigers over a transfer fee for Italian international prop Martin Castrogiovanni."
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cockerill insisted that Tigers would want ALL of Castro's contract paying off. He is earning roughly £300k a season so Toulon would need to dig deep to afford the big man. I don't see why we should just lay down and lose a major asset like Castro just because Toulon are flashing the cash. £300k could pay for a lot of improvements at Oval Park or pad out the bank account nicely.

I'm guessing Toulon will make no official bid until Johnny decides whether he's retiring or not but either way we need to get them to pay up or shut up sooner rather than later as this will heavilly influence whether we give Brookes a new contract or not.
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

I don't doubt it, a reliable source overheard him on the phone to his agent a few months ago and he wasn't a happy bunny
hooking_king

Post by hooking_king »

smith482 wrote:I don't doubt it, a reliable source overheard him on the phone to his agent a few months ago and he wasn't a happy bunny
Absurd - even if your source speaks Italian (in fact I think his agent is Argentinian), how on earth would he know it was Castro's agent on the other end of the phone, it could have been his mother.

I personally think if Castro goes and we develop Balmain then it's not the worst thing. Castro would release a big chunk of the salary cap, and we can bring on a very decent young prop. Not fussed if he goes, other than he has been a great character and a loyal servant.
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

well let's wait and see, - Now I remember why I stopped posting,
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

smith482 wrote:well let's wait and see, - Now I remember why I stopped posting,
The thing is, and I am not saying you are one, is that there are a lot of blaggers on this forum.

Sometimes they get caught out like norfolkexpat and it makes people very sceptical in general.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

hooking_king wrote:
smith482 wrote:I don't doubt it, a reliable source overheard him on the phone to his agent a few months ago and he wasn't a happy bunny
Absurd - even if your source speaks Italian (in fact I think his agent is Argentinian), how on earth would he know it was Castro's agent on the other end of the phone, it could have been his mother.

I personally think if Castro goes and we develop Balmain then it's not the worst thing. Castro would release a big chunk of the salary cap, and we can bring on a very decent young prop. Not fussed if he goes, other than he has been a great character and a loyal servant.
Hooking King last time I saw him his agent was from Leicester living in the Markfield area, I could give you is name but won't on an open forum.
As others has said wait and see but if there is money on the table he will be off quicker than YBY up the blind side.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Simple way to find out... why doesn't someone local pop down to his restaurant and ask him?
JCJD

Post by JCJD »

Players will always come and go, it is sad to see players heading away that have added so much to our great club, but we will always be more than the sum of our parts, we have seen many leave but we are still a side packed full of talent and potential.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I'm getting the feeling that Castro is becoming the new Andy Goode/Tom Varndel/Leon Lloyd. If you all try hard enough perhaps we will lose another Tiger. :smt013 :smt013
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
the stig
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by the stig »

I for one don't think Castro will leave just for the euros he turned them down before to resign for us but you couldn't blame the fella if he did go looking at some security for later life, but Castro himself my not be happy at being second choice at the minute I am sure a player of his quality is more than ample of getting back to is brilliant best. He was putting in some tackles against the ospreys people forget that, He is just not getting the game time with Cole being in such good form but I for one will be sad to see him leave if he actually does true legend in my book :smt023
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I'm getting the feeling that Castro is becoming the new Andy Goode/Tom Varndel/Leon Lloyd. If you all try hard enough perhaps we will lose another Tiger
Spot on and he would be missed. He may not be a regular starter at the moment but he has contributed greatly in the final stages of some very close matches. Players like Castro have given us that bit extra that others are missing. If we can afford it then I say try to keep him!
Cheery chappy