Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Post by fleabane »

If true, you can't blame Castro for wanting to top up his pension. He stuck with us when his last contract was up, (remember the wigs and masks at WR?), and he has been a brilliant player for the club.

Stay or go, a true Tiger Legend.
Valhalla I am coming!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

fleabane wrote:He stuck with us when his last contract was up, (remember the wigs and masks at WR?), and he has been a brilliant player for the club.
Aye, he stuck with us when we needed him and all kinds of money was being thrown his way, you couldn't ask for a better model of modern professionalism. If he does go I'll certainly raise a glass and wish him all the best for the future.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Huh! He's not a patch on Darren Garforth! :smt002

.................Typical of the roundabout that professional rugby has become. :smt018 This and his departure will sadden me.

I don't blame anyone for bettering their pension. If he goes good luck to him.

.................I still remember the crash dive at the Millenium. Made my 50th! :smt030 :smt029
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

A bit more info here:

http://tinyurl.com/cqu9wk2
Valhalla I am coming!
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

It will be sad if he does go, but good luck to him, he deserves his big pay day after sticking with Tigers the last time his contract was due for renewal.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Fair play, good luck Castro (if you go) you will always be a Tiger legend.
Now i've got to tell a 9 year old daughter that her favourite player may be leaving. :smt010
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Interesting if true, as this would give them Castro, Hayman (arguably the best tight head of the last decade, and recently extended his contract) plus Kubriashvilli who is a quality tighthead in his own right. Three tightheads of such calibre will be hard to keep happy in terms of playing time. Fingers crossed he stays, because he is a Tigers legend and still a top class tighthead, but I would not begrudge him one last big move if it is in his best interests (though as stated above I only see financial rewards as I don't see any more game time on offer).
In terms of where it would potentially leave us, we would still have Cole, who is my opinion is right up amongst the best in the world right now, then the younger options of Brookes (who came with quite a reputation and a fair bit of experience relative to his age, but has struggled to comeback from his long term injury) and Balmain (who has burst into the picture this year with some steady set piece work and impressive carrying). We also have Mulipola as a tighthead option, given that is where he started his Tigers career, but that would leave us lighter over at loosehead with only Ayerza and Stanko. Harris and Bower at loose and tight respectively have yet to make the grade.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I fear this is yet another example of how the salary cap is killing the ability of England's big clubs from competing for players with the French sides.

If the salary cap produced opportunities for young English players as a spin off it might be doing some good but may clubs seem to spend it on proven journeymen from overseas. In reality it means that clubs who develop players end up losing them as their worth (in salary terms) climbs. What for? So that poorer sides can get ever closer to the big sides? It is a slide to wards bottom and not race to the top. Sure none of us benefit from sides spending beyond their means and going bust but those that are financially sound should be allowed to run their businesses how they choose.
Why should Tigers, Quins, Stains and Sarries accept being held back so that Wasps, Exeter, Irish and the like can be in with a chance of beating the top sides come the 6N. At what cost? A low standard premiership that doesn't prepare players for Europe let alone international duty.
The risk - imprudent sides go bust - which is an issue for their employees and debtors. Too bad history suggests there are quite a few sides with ambition in the lower divisions who are ready to take their place.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Interestingly Martin Crowson has tweeted today "Castro is under contract at @LeicesterTigers for another year and Toulon would have to pay a huge transfer fee to get him this summer."
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sapajo wrote:Interestingly Martin Crowson has tweeted today "Castro is under contract at @LeicesterTigers for another year and Toulon would have to pay a huge transfer fee to get him this summer."
They seemingly aren't short of a few £s so I wouldn't put it past them buying him out of the remainder of his contract with us. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
sapajo wrote:Interestingly Martin Crowson has tweeted today "Castro is under contract at @LeicesterTigers for another year and Toulon would have to pay a huge transfer fee to get him this summer."
They seemingly aren't short of a few £s so I wouldn't put it past them buying him out of the remainder of his contract with us. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me
Exactly what I said to Mrs G yesterday - they have enough funds to do this!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Agree with all the sentiments on here...Tigers legend but his best years are behind him. Frankly, Tigers have a good track record of 'off-loading' the players 'on the slide'. It is a sign of good management. There aren't too many Tigers who have left the club and become a huge success elsewhere.. and that includes some of the younger players like Hipkiss.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Yep, time to get shot. Castro is past his SBD, going by this season's form and with all the new blood available then time to get rid of the old stock. If the Tigers are really interested in Corbiserio then maybe that is one of the reasons?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

TigerCam wrote:Yep, time to get shot. Castro is past his SBD, going by this season's form and with all the new blood available then time to get rid of the old stock. If the Tigers are really interested in Corbiserio then maybe that is one of the reasons?
I cant see us signing Corbisiero, we have Ayerza so we dont need him. Also I hear he is off to Northampton to replace Tongasomething.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

"Tongasomething"? Bit disrespectful?
Valhalla I am coming!