Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ford

Post by fortysix »

Seems from general chit chat that George-now he has been effectively dropped for Flood-will be going up the road to Stains...
If it is true, then Tigers Management need :censored: shooting.
The first really quality fly half for years , and because, at present his goal kicking isnt as good as Floods, he is allowed to go.
If Mafi and Parling leave as well, then it is obvious we will be supporting a very average team, just content to stay in the top premiership echelons, but nothing else...
SilebyTiger

Re: Ford

Post by SilebyTiger »

If you've watched the past few games you'd realise how valuable to us Flood is and how much Ford still needs to develop. A great talent yes but in the short term Flood has to play.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

If Ford has decided to leave because he has been dropped for the current England number 10 then I really dont think he is a big loss.
Any way he has played a lot of rugby recently and is not setting the world alight. He may well become world class but he is not there yet Flood is currently better and should therefore start.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Err, hang on-the current England No 10-Flood ????!!!!
Not now -he languishes in third place behind Beckham jnr and Burns....
No way will Slamcaster bring him back in front of those two, no way !!!!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

fortysix wrote:Err, hang on-the current England No 10-Flood ????!!!!
Bet he will, watch this space :smt002
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

We all hope he stays but its down to him at the end of the day. If he leaves I wont be angry, just dissapointed that he lacked the patience to oust Flood in a season or two. Having said that I think he will stay, if he moves to Northampton he has a weaker backline to work with. At Bath, he may get some good backs but the pack wont give him an easy ride like ours will.If he stays here he will be part of a team with players like Tuilagi, Youngs, Tait, Mafi, Cole and Youngs who are all under 27. He has the oppurtunity to be part of a team that will mature together over the next few years. Please take it George.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

George Ford is a class act with a lot still to learn. He has had plenty of starts and game time so far this season. If, because he does not start a game in front of the best stand off in England he wants to move to another club, I would question his suitability to play at the top level. My opinion, for what it is worth. He will stay with Tigers and become a world class stand off.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Another positive rant from fortysix......If If If.....

You could argue that Ford would/may not have started the HEC games if Flood had been fit. He was given a chance to play. IMO he hasn't been 'dropped' as you so eloquently put it, he's been rotated, as many other players are, in other teams too. Flood needs game time, IMO Ford will understand that.

As for your definitive "he is allowed to go" - on what do you base such an accusation? If you are privvy to contract negotiations and/or club 'chat' then grow a pair and quote your sources directly (not just general chit-chat). If Ford leaves and goes to Saints so be it, it will be because He or his advisers decide that's best for him and if they decide so, then so be it.

I don't doubt for a moment that Ford is held in high esteem at Leicester Tigers. Many apparently far wiser and more knowledgeable than I on here have suggested that his development is being handled very well by the management, I do not disagree with that.

You say WE will be supporting a very average team - I will be supporting TIGERS, good, bad or indifferent, come rain or shine, that doesn't mean I won't criticise (constructively) or that I'm a happy clapper, but from your words you won't be around if we become average.

Feel free to stand in line with the management.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I have friends who are Saints fans (please don't shoot me!) and they complain that they have not had a decent 10 for years.

Will Ford go? Who knows? He is, however, unlikely to be the Messiah that they are looking for, at this stage in his career.

Incidentally, I have long felt that if an out-of-contract player wants to move, then they should go.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

fortysix wrote:Err, hang on-the current England No 10-Flood ????!!!!
Flood didn't 'lose' his place to either of these up and coming 10s. He was injured playing for England, selected ahead of both of these I might add. Of the two you mention Burns is far the better prospect IMO and more likely to oust Flood. If he is the better option then fair play, but 20 minutes, and a couple of cheeky kicks over the top, against an already beaten NZ doesn't make him a star........yet, and IIRC Burns hasn't played too well in the rain and muck :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
andysaint

Post by andysaint »

For what it's worth, in terms of Saints, it's fairly common knowledge that Lamb is off to France next season and I don't think we have made our mind up with Myler. Ford will command number 1 status as 10 by the sounds of which worries me due to his age and lack of experience. We have had so many 'developing' fly halfs that we are getting sick of it. Then again with Grayson gone that could have been a problem all along. Would Ford join a club with only a temporary backs coach in place? Having said that we did do very well developing Foden and Ashton. I'm undivided a think he would be a fool to leave your set up.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sometimes it is better the devil you know......but it is his decision
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

As has been said - it's up to him and his advisors. What I do say is that Tigers have a record that is second to none in developing talent and that is worth an incalculable amount to a young player like Ford playing in such a key position as fly-half. Nothing better to develop your game playing with a proven international (Flood) and pushing him for the place.
Like other posters I think he will still stay unless his agent is looking for fast bucks.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Any fly half is as good as the ball he gets from his pack. With their 2 props off to France and Russell Hobbs likely to be away for a lot of the season I wonder what the quality of the Stains front 5 will be next season.
For me Ford has yet to truly fufill his potential, how good were Wilkinson and Carter at his age, and untill he bosses a series of games at the top level I think the jury is still very much out on him.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MJ Chairman wrote:Any fly half is as good as the ball he gets from his pack. With their 2 props off to France and Russell Hobbs likely to be away for a lot of the season I wonder what the quality of the Stains front 5 will be next season.
For me Ford has yet to truly fufill his potential, how good were Wilkinson and Carter at his age, and untill he bosses a series of games at the top level I think the jury is still very much out on him.
Which is why the signatures of Steeeeve and Salvi are IMO more important than Ford's.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.