Cockerill has sympathy for Saints . . .

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Cockerill has sympathy for Saints . . .

Post by fleabane »

. . . over the salary cap. Also says he hr relying on Parling's goodwill to re-sign, since he is out of contract.

http://tinyurl.com/ccudj9u
Valhalla I am coming!
cc

Re: Cockerill has sympathy for Saints . . .

Post by cc »

Fair point, but isn't it a bit naive to suggest that any club in the English Leagues could possibly consider a salary bill akin to Racing Metro which is suggested in the article have a salary bill of £17.5 million
Quote from article “Metro have an estimated wage budget of £17.5m, compared to Saints’ rigid salary cap of little more than £4m, plus a marquee player who is not included in that expenditure.”
Tiger’s turnover last year was £17.3m and they made a loss of £1 million. The year before their "record" profits were only £559K if I remember correctly.
Rugby is becoming too much like football in many ways these days, let’s please not get to stage where players are such prima donnas and their individual worth is considered greater than the club.
Of course they have families to feed and retirements to plan for, but Tigers needs players who want to play for the shirt and have commitment and desire, just as Cockers and his team mates did in their day. Sadly that seems to be disappearing.
boon

Post by boon »

.....while subtly putting pressure on parling to sign on for less than his market value, or look mercenary for taking another teams coin.

quite a canny move that. :smt006
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Thing is though Boon our players are happy to do that where as our near neighbours players seem to prefer frogs legs to rosbeef :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
JohnI
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JohnI »

tigerburnie wrote:Thing is though Boon our players are happy to do that where as our near neighbours players seem to prefer frogs legs to rosbeef :smt004
Only applicable IF your players have had the offer in the first instance to consider thereby giving them a reason to choose frogs legs over roast beef. Personally someone offering me almost double the money some of these players are on and id be proclaiming 'je suis en Frenchy' and eating frogs legs instead. :smt003
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Personally I'm not sure publicly declaring your employee to be underpaid before he's even signed a new contract is the best way to go. Of course loyalty is important but a man putting his body on the line week in week out shouldn't have to feel like he's having his wallet lifted while doing so.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

CitizenSmiff wrote:Personally I'm not sure publicly declaring your employee to be underpaid before he's even signed a new contract is the best way to go. Of course loyalty is important but a man putting his body on the line week in week out shouldn't have to feel like he's having his wallet lifted while doing so.
I personally would rather know that my employer/boss doesn't lie to me!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."