Treviso ... a team on form?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Treviso ... a team on form?

Post by rdracup »

They probably do not travel well and I am trusting we will do the business on Sunday, but at home they recently had 5 tries against Dragons, and lost just 15-16 against Ulster... when you add in Toulouse failing to get 4 tries there I think we can conclude they deserve complete respect, but we need 10 points from the 2 games. It may effect the way Cockers approaches the 2 games... perhaps with strong bench for Sunday, then 1st XV for game 2.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Treviso ... a team on form?

Post by TigerLad »

NG Dragons have been awful this season and were missing their only good player in Falataeu. To be fair to Ulster they were missing their international players and their squad isn't the deepest. I would go for a team of

15.Murphy (C)
14.Tait
13.Manu
12.Allen (Cockers said he was just dazed but if not fit Bowden to play)
11.Morris
10.Ford
9.Youngs
1.Ayerza
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Deacon
5.Parling
6.Slater
7.Salvi
8.Waldrom

16.Chuter
17.Balmain (I heard that fluffy would be fit but I would still pick Balmain)
18.Castrogiovanni
19.Kitchener
20.Crane
21.Young
22.Flood
23.Smith

That team looks really strong. A back 3 of Tait,Morris and Murphy has pace, positioning and ability under the high ball. Cockers said that Flood would be fit but I would start Ford because he needs experience in the Heineken cup and if things aren't going to well we can bring on Flood to wrap it up. That team has everything (except for a Mafi or Croft) and the bench looks really strong.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I take the point re Dragons, and indeed weakened Ulster side ... but I still think we would do well to bench or even rest Manu, Parling, Cole, and Youngs for Sunday and start them for Game 2.

Will Goneva or Mafi be available for either game - anyone know?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I posted before on this - Cockers has never lost to an Italian side so a good benchmark of where we are now will be gained from the next two games.

10 points would set be perfect, 9 is most likely, 8 would not be great, any less and we can kiss the QFs goodbye. I guess we also have to hope Toulouse and Ospreys split their matches.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

HC games are not the time for resting players. It is crucial that we come out of these two games with maximum points and we will need our best players on the pitch playing well to do so. We have London Irish away on the 22nd which would be a much better time to rest players as it is not a game which will determine the success of the season.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Treviso are not that easy to beat. Toulouse only got a 4 pointer against them and if we think we can rest Manu, Parling and Cole, then that is tempting fate. We need to go hard at it and get the 4 tries as soon as poss. With a healthy lead, maybe the bench can get an early run out... but no... don't rest the big guns in the HC.
os99

Post by os99 »

I would go for:
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Kitchener
5. Parling
6. Thorpe
7. Salvi
8. Waldrom
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Goneva
12. Bowden
13. Tuilagi
14. Tait
15. Murphy
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigers have to play the strongest side available in both matches.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

drc_007 wrote:Tigers have to play the strongest side available in both matches.
Agreed we cannot afford to be complacent nor take anything for granted.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

In the past players coming back from internationals need a game to get back into the club game rhythm. So better to get that one out the way at home,they will then be in a better position to go for the five points away.
Sure the club will put out their strongest squad for these games and I am sure we can get the result this weekend at home.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrrrssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I agree with almost all the points above. If we want HK success we need to win the group and I can only realistically see that happening if we take 9/10 points from the Treviso games. Second in the group and an away QF is not something I would feel all that confident about given Tigers away from in the HK,

Only slight disagreement would be the suggestion to rest players for London Irish away. I'm going to that one and it is a great 5 point opportunity. I appreciate that it will not be a game that defines our season, but a win at Irish would set us up for the Glaws home game. Lose at Irish and we'll be hovering around 4th/5th in the league with the Six Nations around the corner. Win no internationals for a while, if I were head coach I'd go with my strongest team throughout December. Why would anyone need a rest at this stage in the season?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Since there is no agreement on who is in our 1st XV, then obviously for some pundits some of the 1st XV will be rested.

This is testament to our having a deep and talented squad.

Without disrespecting Treviso it is fair to say the first half of the 2 match series will be easier than the second half.

In my view we never put out a weak side for a HC match, but that does not mean putting out the "1st XV" (whatever that is) to play 160 mins of rugby in 6 days, particularly after some have just come off some very intensive England games. I hope Cockers makes best use of the squad this weekend, with a strong bench and few rested. Managing our resources over the season is also critical to success. Ask Saints supporters - Irish away is a banana skin waiting to happen, Treviso at home is not.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Treviso at home does have the potentialto be a "banana skin",Italian rugby is not as easily swept aside as it used to be. We must put out a very strong squad for this game, were we to not get a bonus point or even worse lose, that could be terminal to our HC ambitions.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm sure it will be a tough game so i would go with
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Kitchener
5. Parling
6. Slater
7. Salvi
8. Waldrom
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Morris
12. Allen (bowden if Allen is not ready)
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompestone
15. Tait

16. Brookes
17. Hawkins
18. Castro
19. Crane
20. Thorpe
21. Young
22. Bowden
23. Murphy/Goneva
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Flood should be fit for this game. If Allen is not ready could we see a combination of Ford at 10 with Flood at 12?