Scarlet Green and White
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: 2015 RWC draw today

Post by BJ. »

Richard wrote:Scotland will struggle to get out of their pool again
Scotland would struggle to get out of a paddling pool! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Am I alone in thinking it is bonkers to have the seedings and draw for the cup 3 years ahead?
18 months perhaps to allow hotels and flights to be booked for the match venues but 3 years when most teams are early in the rebuilding phase?

Simply silly.

It may well influence the make up of the Autumn internationals in the future.
With hindsight would England have picked the top 3 sides rather than perhaps Argentina or Samoa?
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

As an Englishman.... I will take this draw.

If we can squueze past Wales and Aus in a tight group of death .. the by my analysis we get Scotland or Samoa in the QF3 then either France or Argies in SF2 followed by NZ in the Final .... :smt002
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Any one know when the tickets go on sale ?
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

You can pretty much guarantee Fiji in group A too.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Sorry but after the World Cup venue decision I am struggling to support England and would find it to be very funny if England went out at the group stage.

I do agree though that the draw has been completed far too early as everything will have changed by the time of the World Cup, Wales certainly won't be a third seed nation by then and Argentina could well have made up ground having got used to playing in the Southern Hemisphere tournament.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Ho ho ho it is a mad world we live in. Rowlocks all round. Purple kits all round.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

To win the WC all that is necessary is that you win all the games.

It was ever thus be the opposition NZ, SA or Outer Mongolia!

:smt006 :smt006 :smt006
Still keeping the faith!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

BJ. wrote:If so, would that mean England (the host nation) would have to travel to Cardiff to play Wales?
The WRU have made an appeal to have both the Australia AND the England match played at the Millenium stadium. Can't help but hope that they're told that they can shove their appeal into the sun-less abyss.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

It would be crazy to agree to play them at the millennium, this is our home tournament so i can not see us giving up that advantage for what will be a key pool game.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

kingol22 wrote:It would be crazy to agree to play them at the millennium, this is our home tournament so i can not see us giving up that advantage for what will be a key pool game.
The only way the RFU benefit from having the Millenium stadium is that the Welsh games will sell out in Cardiff compared to somewhere like Newcastle, which won't get the same Welsh support, therefore they get more money. However, when they play England the game is going to sell out anywhere it is held, therefore the RFU should pick the biggest stadium (i.e. Twickenham (not counting Wembley!)) to maximise profits!

On a purely rugby sense I think the England games should be spread aroung the country - but that means in England, not playing their games in Cardiff ,although it would make my life so much easier if they did!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I saw posted elsewhere that tradition has it that the host usually open their world cup with a game against their strongest rival in their group, at the venue that holds the final. So that means the WC should kickoff with England v Australia at Twickers.
I do however agree with the Welsh that the game should be played at the best ground available(I'm too modest to call it the best ground in the world). So with that dreadfull surface that is laughingly called a pitch in Cardiff, the game is bound to be played at Twickenham. The millenium might have a nice roof,but the game is played on the grass, not the roof.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

tigerburnie wrote:I saw posted elsewhere that tradition has it that the host usually open their world cup with a game against their strongest rival in their group, at the venue that holds the final. So that means the WC should kickoff with England v Australia at Twickers.
I do however agree with the Welsh that the game should be played at the best ground available(I'm too modest to call it the best ground in the world). So with that dreadfull surface that is laughingly called a pitch in Cardiff, the game is bound to be played at Twickenham. The millenium might have a nice roof,but the game is played on the grass, not the roof.
Quite right, plus, the Millenium Stadium's capacity is exceeded by Twickenham's by around 7,500. Coincidentally, this is about the difference between Welford Road and the King Power Stadium and therefore, since stadium capacity is all, I presume that Twickenham HAVE to be awarded this game because that will generate greater revenue.
Rinzler
Tiger Cub

Post by Rinzler »

tigerburnie wrote:I saw posted elsewhere that tradition has it that the host usually open their world cup with a game against their strongest rival in their group, at the venue that holds the final. So that means the WC should kickoff with England v Australia at Twickers.
Tigerburnie, I do agree with your comments, but traditionally the tournament opener is played against 'one' of the strongest group rivals, usually the 3rd tier seeds. In 2011 this was New Zealand vs Tonga (not France), in 2007 this was France vs Argentina (not Ireland)and in 2003 it was Australia vs Argentina (again not Ireland). Based on this trend, England vs Wales would probably be the opener at Twickenham regardless of where the WRU want the game to be played.