How others see us

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

How others see us

Post by tigerburnie »

I saw this on the "sinners" website, made me think how others perceive us.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you look at a club like Leicester, you have to wonder what keeps them at or near the top of the tree year on year out. They have had management changes over the years and at worst have only suffered temporary blips in their overall performance.

So why is that? Is it that they have a tradition of winning and nothing less is acceptable? We do not have that tradition. In fact our 'tradition' is always one of underachievers and nearly men. We joke and say it comes with the territory when you follow the Saints. I say it myself regularly. So what will it take to change this? Do we believe that if Cockerill were here it would all be different? I'm not so sure. Tigers make average players into great players. I believe the whole club ethos is different. They have a win at any cost mentality. They never drop their heads when behind. The game is always winnable no matter what the score may be at that time.

We bring in and nurture players which are for the most part full of potential but only a few realise that potential. Therefore are we coaching some of their natural skill out of them? That would suggest that we employ or retain coaching staff who do not have the drive to be the best. Who's fault is that? The board? Has the club got its priorities wrong? Is it more important to build a top club with the best facilities and a good balance sheet?

So maybe if we want to stay at the top and win competitions we need to reassess what is most important. We can't have it all. Sadly I don't claim to have the magic solution. I just think that there is always more to consider. There ain't no easy road (as Wishbone Ash once sang!)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
There are echoes of some of the frustrations aired by some fans on here,but in the main and this is just one example,a lot of fans wish their club was as successful as Leicester Tigers.
This not posted to start another war about our coaches, but an example of what a different set of eyes/values puts on our position.The post came from a thread that is basically about "had enough of Mallinder".
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: How others see us

Post by Crivvens »

Interesting read, thanks for posting. Always an eye-opener to see how we're perceived by other clubs fans, especially when they're not directly addressing one of us. It's one thing saying it in front of a fan of an opposing team, but saying it to fans of your own team is different and it's refreshing to read that's how they think of us.
Blimey...
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Crivvens wrote: it's refreshing to read that's how they think of us.
Ah, but was the poster then pilloried by the rest of the forum?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

where's Robbie Burns when you need him?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Shame all that ethos and tradition can't be turned into H C and Prem trophies?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

TigerCam wrote:Shame all that ethos and tradition can't be turned into H C and Prem trophies?
Coached out of them? :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It is interesting that the Glaws of a couple of years ago was the same, under Dean Ryan (who I rate hugely as an analyst, but whose team bombed out come the big games).

Do teams just need a Deano or a Ventner to put fire in their bellies and ramrods in their spine, or does it go deeper? People talk about the "ethos" at Leicester, incoming players say they have never had to work so hard and that the expectation is that they will win or die on the pitch. Does the split dressing room play a part - senior players together, the rest having to prove themselves to get invited into the inner sanctum?

How people see us is a part of our (previous) invincibility, part of the mythology of Fortress Welford Road. What Stains want is to write for themselves a similar history.

Let's not help them!
Valhalla I am coming!
boon

Post by boon »

i reckon that thread title should have the word 'some' in there somewhere.

to illustrate - here is an alternative viewpoint, also from the saints website earlier this season:

"as andysaint suggests people need to keep some perspective here - tigers have reached a lot of prem finals but lost most of those (5/8 i think it is) i.e coming up short time & again just as there is complaint saints do. they havent won the hc in a decade or been to a final as recently as us (remember we are the higher ranked side in europe, based on performances over the last 4 years). the only silverware they have had in 3 seasons is the lv cup. to say they are dominant now is somewhat like saying liverpool dominate the premier league - a record to be very proud of, still competitive but not currently dominant."
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

And as usual, the truth lies somewhere between.....
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

boon wrote:i reckon that thread title should have the word 'some' in there somewhere.

to illustrate - here is an alternative viewpoint, also from the saints website earlier this season:

"as andysaint suggests people need to keep some perspective here - tigers have reached a lot of prem finals but lost most of those (5/8 i think it is) i.e coming up short time & again just as there is complaint saints do. they havent won the hc in a decade or been to a final as recently as us (remember we are the higher ranked side in europe, based on performances over the last 4 years). the only silverware they have had in 3 seasons is the lv cup. to say they are dominant now is somewhat like saying liverpool dominate the premier league - a record to be very proud of, still competitive but not currently dominant."
Quite correct, but the opening paragraph sums up what was being said:-

"If you look at a club like Leicester, you have to wonder what keeps them at or near the top of the tree year on year out. They have had management changes over the years and at worst have only suffered temporary blips in their overall performance."

Neither I or the poster claimed we are winning everything, but we do have an undisputable record of consecutive final appearances in the playoffs and last season set the record for the most try bonus point wins in a row in the premiership, so a tad better than Liverpool or any other football team for that matter.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.