England match - Toby injured, Robshaw brain-dead.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: England match - Toby injured, Robshaw brain-dead.

Post by sapajo »

RWA wrote:I like Robshaw, he's a decent player, leader and captain.
Sadly being decent is not and will not ever be sufficient
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Uhtred

Post by Uhtred »

RWA wrote:We have one captain, he makes the decisions.
And in this case that's the exact problem.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Everythings going to be alright because Engiand are going to take the POSITIVES from the game yet again. I think its about time they concentrated on the the negatives then they may improve!!!!!!!!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

RWA wrote: I support Flood of course, but he's had 50 caps and has not really done anything. He's not consistent enough when place kicking, his kicking out of hand has been poor, giving possession away needlessly and although I take my hat off to him for playing so flat, it's not working.
You're being a bit harsh on Flood I feel. How many of those 50 caps were 10 minutes from the bench or shunted out of position to accommodate Saint Johnny or any of the other saviours of English rugby? Even at the last 6 Nations he was benched for Farrell. He's never really had an extended run in the England 10 shirt. As for not doing anything, doesn't he have some sort of record for the highest individual point tally against Australia? As for his kicking, do you not remember the extended period of time where England messed with his kicking? His place kicking this season has been very good and he's kicked some very good, difficult pressure kicks, both for Tigers and England. You don't suddenly become a bad place kicker in one week. Do you know why he missed those kicks today? Neither do I. Maybe it was his injury. Maybe England have been 'tinkering' with his kicking again. Maybe it was just a bad day at the office. Everyone has them, including Dan Carter. The reason he gets away with it (as few and far between as those days are) is because his running game and the rest of the team tend to make the missed kicks redundant. Some of England's best team performances under Johnson were with the Flood Youngs combination.

In response to the criticisms of Robshaw, at first I thought he was stupid going for the points, but then I thought a bit and I can understand his decision. Even with Paice on for Youngs, the lineout hadn't been going well and there was no guarantee the ball would come back on England's side, and even if it had, the South African defence had been strong all game. If Farrell hadn't argued and had just taken the kick quickly, instead of faffing around with the water and the tee etc, then England could have taken the restart and had several minutes to work their way up field again, perhaps into a good drop goal position, if not the try, with South Africa unable to concede the three points. As it is, Botha seemed to decide to be South African and messed up the restart and England ran out of time because Farrell didn't just take the captain's decision and get on with it. As a player, I think the main problem with Robshaw is that he's being played out of position/with an unbalanced back row.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I went for Cole or Manu simply because of Cole's multifaceted play - often the scavenger and ruck main man as well as tackler and the day job. Manu for when all around was going to hell in handcart he remained a potent threat, an excellent tackler and also covered a lot of ground pulling their defence out. I thought both locks played well but not game changers.
I do not agree that Robshaw made the right call - he made the wrong one and his face showed it when the penny dropped.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

There were a few good points today but just as many bad points

Good Points
Tom Wood - Was great at the breakdown and pretty handy in the loose
Ben Morgan - Brilliant in the loose
Manu - Showed his pace again
Breakdown - Much improved from Australia

Bad Points
Chris Ashton - Who let this prat near the EPS
Owen Farrel - Clearly not the Savoir of English Rugby
Chris Robshaw - Ive never been his biggest fan but he was Average at best today and his decision making as captain was awful
Lack of basic skills - England's handling and use of obvious advantages was poor
KICKING!!!!!!!! - Youngs, Goode, Farrel all kicked ball away giving their back 3 too much time to return
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

jgriffin wrote:Toby just gone off - appears to be injured - England's saviour Farrell is on,
How cruel was that Saffa try? Alberts 3m offside, but an England touch played him on!
As an aside, that try should not have been given. Granted, it was possible for Wood to play offside Saffas onside by touching the ball, but NOT if they move towards the ball before he touches it.

Alberts was already moving towards the England line before Wood touched it (which is why he was on hand to ground it), and had the officials had even the slightest grasp of the laws, they would have given a penalty to England.

EDIT:

Law in question -
In general play, a player can be put onside either by an action of a team-mate or by an action of an opponent. However, the offside player cannot be put onside if the offside player interferes with play; or moves forward, towards the ball, or fails to move 10 metres away from the place where the ball lands
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Flood was poor today.
Kickoffs, box kicks, touch finding and two easy penalties.
Yes he has been good in times past but he can't cut it at the moment.

Once Burns comes in, TF wont get back in to the side.
A life long Tiger
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

I failed to understand why they kept using Robshaw for bish bosh work. Why use your open side for that? And he was rubbish at it (IMO).

Parling was excellent. However, I've just had a look at the broadsheets online and one of them criticised him for his "hospital pass" to vunipola!!! Vunipola was about 2 feet away, it was a well weighted pass and not too quick, and it can't be hospital if it put a 19 stoner against the fly half. Also, vunipola picked up a much harder pass a few minutes later.

Another paper marked corbisiero above Cole. They definitely need to take more water with whatever they have.

Youngs was ok. Flood I thought iffy, cole was back on form I think. Youngs senior had a mare for whatever reason in the line out but I thought he had a cracker in the loose.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

We're going to get murdered next week, maybe the All Blacks can be persuaded to play with 10 men in the name of fairness?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

10? Isn't that still a tad too risky?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Mail on Sunday reports TF will be out for a minimum of 4 weeks, as whilst his foot is not fractured their is suspected ligament damage :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think that at that low a number, the game has to be abandoned - but maybe that's the answer?
Valhalla I am coming!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

sapajo wrote:Mail on Sunday reports TF will be out for a minimum of 4 weeks, as whilst his foot is not fractured their is suspected ligament damage :smt009
Guess well see just how ready Ford is, then...

Has Flood EVER come back to Tigers from England duty without having been broken?
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

4071 wrote:
sapajo wrote:Mail on Sunday reports TF will be out for a minimum of 4 weeks, as whilst his foot is not fractured their is suspected ligament damage :smt009
Guess well see just how ready Ford is, then...

Has Flood EVER come back to Tigers from England duty without having been broken?
Bad news for Floody but it will give Fordy an oppurtunity with the strongest possible Tigers side around him which is important, IMO he and YBY need develop more of an understanding but this will only come with games. Heineken Cup rugby will also benefit him.

Flood came back ok last year, from the RWC and 6 nations, but he'd hardly played!! Hopefully no more Tigers will be broken, England always seem to break atleast one :smt009 :smt009 :smt009