Song played at half time during Saints game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wzevon1951

Song played at half time during Saints game

Post by wzevon1951 »

Does anyone know the name of the long song played at halftime on Saturday, a big prog rock thing that sounds ominously sub King Crimson? It had a very prominent refrain, that I have been singing ever since....I just hummed it to my friend and he just laughed! We have always been impressed with the heaviosity of some of the songs that crop up sometimes....the Tubes immediately come to mind. Is it recorded anywhere what is played. The song had a bit of lyrical content that I could hear, something about "Craving companionship". Please anyone?
wzevon1951

Re: Song played at half time during Saints game

Post by wzevon1951 »

Answer me own question......Van der graaf Generator......Killer!!!!!! phew thank god for that.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

wzevon, love that handle :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

wzevon1951 wrote:Does anyone know the name of the long song played at halftime on Saturday, a big prog rock thing that sounds ominously sub King Crimson? It had a very prominent refrain, that I have been singing ever since....I just hummed it to my friend and he just laughed! We have always been impressed with the heaviosity of some of the songs that crop up sometimes....the Tubes immediately come to mind. Is it recorded anywhere what is played. The song had a bit of lyrical content that I could hear, something about "Craving companionship". Please anyone?
If only it was The Tubes first saw them live in Southampton 1979 and again live in a bar in Annapolis 2007. Should have played "she's a beauty" at half time now that is really something :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wzevon1951

Post by wzevon1951 »

I was so relieved to find out what the song was that it took me about twelve hours to realize what an odd song it is to have played at half time at a Tigers game. It clocks in at nearly eight and a half minutes apart from anything else, and is very odd indeed. It's about fish!! And Peter Hammills Van der Graaf Generator?!! Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I think it's wonderful that we don't get a diet of MOR, and that songs like Killer get played. Great song.....can we perhaps have suggestions for Prog rock Half time songs? I would immediately suggest King Crimson, 21st century Schizoid man. Now that would get the juices flowing.
Any offers?
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

I remember a midweek match a few years back when I got to the ground early and was treated to the whole 23 minutes of Echoes by Pink Floyd. I think they had a prog rock Tight Five and hadn't bothered to check the song lengths. The looks on some of the stewards faces were priceless.

BTW Killers on Saturday was followed by Tom Sawyer by Rush :smt026
A citizen of hope and glory
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Previous lists have included Richard Thompson - some very good stuff gets played!
About VDG Generator - never been a fan of Pete Hamill's whiny voice, saw them live a few times in the early 70s. :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Marillion, This Strange Engine , clocks in at about 14 minutes.
Pink Floyd, Dogs, 17 minutes, can be used for those half times that overrun
Colosseum, Valentyne Suite, about 16 minutes.
ELP, Pirates, 13 and a bit minutes.

I could go on....
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'd rather be subjected to Captain Beefheart than prog-rock!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

We also got Iron Maiden's 'Can I Play With Madness?' and AC/DC's 'Thunderstuck' before kick-off. Then at half time we got 'Tom Sawyer' by Rush and not for the first time this season either.

To be honest the music was better than the offering on the pitch.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

As far as I know you can still send in suggestions for a Tight Five of songs to be played - you used to have to email [email protected] - I subjected my gang to five Bon Jovi songs some years ago :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
wzevon1951

Post by wzevon1951 »

I'm always surprised that Led Zep don't feature more. How about dazed and Confused, or Kashmir perhaps? Richard Thompson would always be welcome...just booked tickets to see him in March. I would have thought that the RT demographic is parellel to that of Rugby Union.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wzevon1951 wrote:I'm always surprised that Led Zep don't feature more. How about dazed and Confused, or Kashmir perhaps? Richard Thompson would always be welcome...just booked tickets to see him in March. I would have thought that the RT demographic is parellel to that of Rugby Union.
More like the Alma Cogan/Clff Richard demographic looking at some Tigers supporters :smt003
I saw RT in late July - the Master!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95