All Black Maori game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

All Black Maori game

Post by Southernsoftie »

As PM76 says in the Sarries LV thread. I think we will se a strong team out for the All Black Maori (!). As mentioned in that thread, losing at WR unacceptable at any time so against what will be a very strong Maori side full of Super XV players, we will have to put something close to our best side out knowing we have another LV game the following weekend to rehab the usual bumps and bruises.

Agree though, some players are closer to irreplaceable than others while the EPS players are away. Castro, Chuter, Salvi, Ford, Smith, to name a few. I suspect some of them will have to be risked though.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: All Black Maori game

Post by PM76 »

As mentioned I'd pick the strongest possible side:

Stanko, Chuter, Brookes/ Balmain
Slater, Kitchener (presuming louis is injured)
Thorpe, Crane/ B. Deacon/ Jooste (fitness dependant), Salvi
Harrison, Ford
Allen/ Forsyth, Smith
Morris, Murphy, Hamilton

With the only question mark being over Salvi who is IMO now Tigers only player without decent back up. Admittedly loosing Youngs and playing Harrison or loosing Youngs and playing Chuter weakens Tigers but nobody is as crucial as Salvi now IMO.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

These fixtures are great for the club, the players and the fans. If, however, we start fielding weak teams you may soon find that touring teams are no longer interested in Tigers as a fixture. Doing well in these games keeps the profile of the club high which is good for morale and helps with keeping and attracting high quality players both foreign and domestic.
Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Southernsoftie »

+1
:smt023
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I agree, it would be nice to see a strong team with a good crowd, as you say we have a very long history of touring sides at Welford road,mostly against Midland sides,but Tigers go back quite a few years. The first Tigers v a national team I recall was a mid week game against Romania,though I can't remember when it was,late 1970's early 80's I think.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
boon

Post by boon »

i inherited a shirt combining the saints and tigers colours - a combined side played a touring samoan side, must have been mid-80's.

re the maori - i'll be seeing them play,going to see a friend up in doncaster for the championship game - good seats at a tenner and the best stadium food i ever known.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

PM76 wrote:As mentioned I'd pick the strongest possible side:

Stanko, Chuter, Brookes/ Balmain
Slater, Kitchener (presuming louis is injured)
Thorpe, Crane/ B. Deacon/ Jooste (fitness dependant), Salvi
Harrison, Ford
Allen/ Forsyth, Smith
Morris, Murphy, Hamilton

With the only question mark being over Salvi who is IMO now Tigers only player without decent back up. Admittedly loosing Youngs and playing Harrison or loosing Youngs and playing Chuter weakens Tigers but nobody is as crucial as Salvi now IMO.
Allen should probably be given a rest (as long as he promises not to do some DIY at home) and if fit it would be good to include Tait.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Mathew Tait will indeed be starting according to the Merc! :smt026
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Maximus66 wrote:Mathew Tait will indeed be starting according to the Merc! :smt026
And for those of us outside the distribution area of the Leicester Mercury, here's the link.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Good to know we can always rely on you BJ; though in fairness to moi, I popped to the shop early this fine morning for my copy.
I prefer my news in print, not on the pc. :smt001
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

All very well but they don't sell the "mockery" in Montrose
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

tigerburnie wrote:All very well but they don't sell the "mockery" in Montrose
they will if you ask for it, we get the Notts Post, Coventry/Warwickshire/Nuneaton Telegraph, Derby Telegraph & Northampton weekly titles + Daily Record, Irish Independent & Irish Times and a whole load more foreign titles delivered to us at the Newspaper depot in Leicester
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

I'm really quite excited about seeing some of Tait in the next few games. i really think he could be the player we have missed to inject that little something into our backline, feels like a new signing!

and please no "if he stays fit" comments!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:All very well but they don't sell the "mockery" in Montrose
they will if you ask for it, we get the Notts Post, Coventry/Warwickshire/Nuneaton Telegraph, Derby Telegraph & Northampton weekly titles + Daily Record, Irish Independent & Irish Times and a whole load more foreign titles delivered to us at the Newspaper depot in Leicester
Hmmm that takes me back to when I asked a news agent to get me the "Morning Star" when I lived in Leicestershire, he point blank refused.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Maoris not for me. silly fixture in my lowly and humble opinion.