Post by redrugertiger »

What will the team be?

Is this game on T.V. ?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries LV Cup!

Post by BJ. »

Don't know and have you checked the TV listings?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I'm fairly sure it is not on TV but there are still tickets for sale.
Always a Tiger
Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Southernsoftie »

I'll have a bash, hope to get at least 13/15 :-)

Tait
Thompstone
Forsyth
Symons
Lewington
Cornwell
Young
Stankovich
Stevens
Balmain
Cain
Andrew
Noone
Thorpe
Crane (c)
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Southernsoftie wrote:I'll have a bash, hope to get at least 13/15 :-)

Tait
Thompstone
Forsyth
Symons
Lewington
Cornwell
Young
Stankovich
Stevens
Balmain
Cain
Andrew
Noone
Thorpe
Crane (c)
I think that is pretty close to the side that will play, although maybe some younger backrows, or the french lad who is at De Montford, will get the nod ahead of Crane/ Thorpe who will probably both play vs. the Maori. I imagine Sarries will put out a similar side, in terms of depth etc. Hopefully the side will be competitive and some of the youngsters will shine again but I'm almost certain there will not be a repeat of last year's LV cup success. I would rather beat the Maori anyway!!

Presumably the team will be stronger vs. L.Irish, in order to build some momentum before the prem and stop sides winning at Welford Road, unacceptable in any competition IMO.

It will be great to see Tait (fingers crossed) and Young back!!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Surely Bowden could do with some game time!! We need his creativity desperately.

Also Smith has only had one outing recently against saints so he may feature, unless being saved for Maoris.

Thinking about it a midfield of Bowden/Smith would be great to see next Tuesday...
Soggypitch
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Soggy, Dan Bowden's gone to NZ to get married!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I think Cockers may have thought about playing Ford in this game - it is almost a week since the Saints game - to give him the chance to play himself into form particularly with the boot. But with Bowden away, he simply cannnot take the chance.

But he will need to play him some time against the Maori or the LV game against Irish or he simply won't be ready for the Wasps or Bath games. Hopefully Bowden will not be away too long - anyone know how long he is away for? Until he is back, Cockers can't risk playing Ford IMO.
Always a Tiger
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

bluntiger wrote:I think Cockers may have thought about playing Ford in this game - it is almost a week since the Saints game - to give him the chance to play himself into form particularly with the boot. But with Bowden away, he simply cannnot take the chance.

But he will need to play him some time against the Maori or the LV game against Irish or he simply won't be ready for the Wasps or Bath games. Hopefully Bowden will not be away too long - anyone know how long he is away for? Until he is back, Cockers can't risk playing Ford IMO.
I think Ford will start vs the Maori where Cockers will pick the strongest available side, as he did when Australia and S.A came, the Maori wouldn't be coming if Tigers were putting out the academy. In the Merc article last week Cockers also said that Ford would start vs. L.Irish.

I don't know, but would imagine that Bowden probably has two weeks off but will be back for the Wasps and Bath games, that agreement suits both sides. I expect a side similar to Southernsoftie's on Friday with the strongest available side playing vs Maoris, for example;

Stanko, Chuter, Brookes/ Balmain
Slater, Kitchener (presuming louis is injured)
Thorpe, Crane/ B. Deacon/ Jooste (fitness dependant), Salvi
Harrison, Ford
Allen/ Forsyth, Smith
Morris, Murphy, Hamilton
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

PM76 wrote:I expect a side similar to Southernsoftie's on Friday with the strongest available side playing vs Maoris, for example;

Stanko, Chuter, Brookes/ Balmain
Slater, Kitchener (presuming louis is injured)
Thorpe, Crane/ B. Deacon/ Jooste (fitness dependant), Salvi
Harrison, Ford
Allen/ Forsyth, Smith
Morris, Murphy, Hamilton
I for one will be livid if Cockers plays Salvi against the Maori.

He is the only out-and-out 7 we have and as we have seen recently, playing Waldrom/Crane as a makeshift 7 doesn't work. We saw at the weekend on his return just how much we miss him when he is not available.

As I have previously said, he should be wrapped in cotton wool and played in the key games only eg HC games (except Treviso)and AP top games not wasted (or worse getting injured!) in a friendly.
Always a Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would be surprised to see any first team players start at the sorries,not just to protect players,but in the spirit of the tournament the first few games are usually development teams.
If memory serves me right the team against South Africa was very youthfull,I would doubt we would field a full first team in a friendly.Maybe those coming back from injury like Tait and Crane possibly the two Deacons and Thompstone,Cornwelland Hawkins if he's fit too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Southernsoftie »

tigerburnie wrote:I would be surprised to see any first team players start at the sorries,not just to protect players,but in the spirit of the tournament the first few games are usually development teams.
If memory serves me right the team against South Africa was very youthfull,I would doubt we would field a full first team in a friendly.Maybe those coming back from injury like Tait and Crane possibly the two Deacons and Thompstone,Cornwelland Hawkins if he's fit too.
I think this is largely correct though I think Crane could use some game time and a youthful side has to have a bit of guidance although Cornwell usually does the job in the A league.

I think the Maori game is a big one and I have posted under the new thread that I think we should and will, go with a strong team. Mindful that some players are more irreplaceable than others while EPS squad is away.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I would go with

1. Balmain
2. Stevens
3. Bower
4. Slater
5. Cain
6. Guillame
7. Thorpe
8. Noone
9. Steele/Young
10. Cornwell
11. Lewington
12. Symons
13. Forsyth
14. Thompstone
15. Tait

16. Stanko
17. Thacker
18. Harris
19. Andrew
20. Deacon
21. Harrison
22. Pohe
23. Morris
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:I would be surprised to see any first team players start at the sorries,.
The game, of course, is being played at Goldington Road, Bedford.

Almost a home game for Tigers!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Can't see tickets for sale on the club site, has anyone any idea if they are still available?