'Charity' collections in the Final Whistle IMPORTANT!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

'Charity' collections in the Final Whistle IMPORTANT!

Post by Tyzot »

Yesterday there were legitimate collectors from Steps , an approved charity for Tigers, to whom I was happy to donate some cash. Also happy to support Matt Hampson related charities, British Legion and the like.

However, there was also a chap going round allegedly collecting for a children's charity who was very pushy, asking for money in a way that is not actually legal as I understand it. He was waving a plain looking id card - but to be honest he could have made that himself.
Now I understand that he could be above board, but this is getting to be a trend in the bar after games. Does anyone know if these, not previously advertised collections are honest and if so approved by the club?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 'Charity' collections in the Final Whistle

Post by fentiger »

I drew these to the attention of the bar manager earlier in the season as I, too, thought they seem far from legit. She said she would look into it, I actually haven't seen them since. Sounds more likely they are just chancing their arm to see if anyone challenges them. It could do with a couple of Stewards in the bar area after matches to cover this.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

was there any room for these guys to move in the final whistle yesterday?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I believe I saw the characters you mention in the ABC bar at the Ospreys game. They may be legit but the man and woman had an air of dodginess about them and few that I saw contributed
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I believe this couple were in the lower Cat Stand bar after yesterday's match. They both approached our group (in fact, he came back a second time later!) with their collection tins which appeared to have some form of rainbow motif on them.

A bit later (approx. 17.30ish), I think I saw the pair of them get into a black car that was parked at the top of Filbert Street East. I'll contact the club and ask if they allow these 'collectors' into the ground.

UPDATE: I've emailed the club and got an automated reply. This is the bones of it:

We receive many hundreds of applications and, although unable to fulfill all requests, the club has its own charity policy and recognises three Official Charity Partners each year.

Our official charity partners receive a number of benefits to include, but not be limited to, a collection at a first-team match, signed merchandise provided for auction and assistance with raising the charity's profile using the stature of the club during their time as a partner. The current official charity partners are the Matt Hampson Foundation, CDKL5 UK and Steps.

Tigers also make available 200 pairs of tickets to two first-team fixtures which are designated 'community charity' fixtures to be used by fund-raisers to generate revenues. These tickets can be sold as a raffle prize only and cannot be auctioned to the highest bidder.

An alternative route that you may wish to consider is The Tigers Cashback programme which provides an opportunity for groups from schools, clubs, charities and other organisations to attend a Welford Road match and raise valuable funds for their chosen cause. This scheme generated more than £10,000 for causes in its first season and provides a superb opportunity for people to come together and show support for their chosen cause while also enjoying matchday with us.

The way I read it is those two people shouldn't be there. However, I'll wait to see what the official reply says.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

I said no to the Children's Charity bloke as he looked suspect and he then tried to get my wife and our friends to donate at which point he was politely, but firmly told to 'Do One!'
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I've just received this reply from Laura Horne, Head of Customer Services at Welford Road.

Thank you for your email and making us aware of the situation on Sunday.

I am sorry to say that these collectors did not have the permission of the club to be onsite and we have, at games before Christmas, asked them to leave the ground. I have made enquires to the charity to see if they can confirm if they are genuine collectors but to date have received no response.

We will certainly keep an eye out for them at the next game and would ask any supporters not to donate if they do not have an official pass from the club. We have three official charities each season which we support in various ways including selected games where they would be able to sell wristbands etc. This year our chosen charities are The Matt Hampson Foundation, Steps and CDKL5 UK.

Once again thank you for your email and if you should notice these people inside the ground again please speak to the nearest steward or staff member.

So there you go, folks. If you see this pair in the ground trying to collect money, don't donate and call a steward or Tigers member of staff.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BJ. wrote:I've just received this reply from Laura Horne, Head of Customer Services at Welford Road.

Thank you for your email and making us aware of the situation on Sunday.

I am sorry to say that these collectors did not have the permission of the club to be onsite and we have, at games before Christmas, asked them to leave the ground. I have made enquires to the charity to see if they can confirm if they are genuine collectors but to date have received no response.

We will certainly keep an eye out for them at the next game and would ask any supporters not to donate if they do not have an official pass from the club. We have three official charities each season which we support in various ways including selected games where they would be able to sell wristbands etc. This year our chosen charities are The Matt Hampson Foundation, Steps and CDKL5 UK.

Once again thank you for your email and if you should notice these people inside the ground again please speak to the nearest steward or staff member.

So there you go, folks. If you see this pair in the ground trying to collect money, don't donate and call a steward or Tigers member of staff.

BJ thanks for your diligence in pursuing and clarifying this matter :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

You're welcome, me owd.

Further update from Laura - she is going to ask the Stadium Manager to inform the police of what's been happening.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Yes, thanks BJ. I haven't been in the Final Whistle after matches much lately and wondered if they had re-appeared.
Reckon the message will soon get around they are not welcome!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I'm bumping this thread back onto the front page to remind people about this scam. Please remember if anyone sticks a collection tin under your nose at Welford Road ask them for their official pass from the club. If they can only show you what they claim to be is their charity ID card, keep your cash in your pockets and call a steward.

Although this thread is headlined 'Charity collections in the Final Whistle', these bogus collectors has been seen in other parts of the ground.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Thank you for this BJ. Maybe the Mod's can make this a 'sticky' just so everyone is aware of what is going on should it ever happen again in the future.

:smt023
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

We could, kpb, but then we'd get complaints about too many sticky posts, and some people say they never read the stickies anyway.

I'll keep this bumped up near the top.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Bump.

If you haven't read this thread before, please pay attention to the bits in blue.
Pam.B

Re: 'Charity' collections in the Final Whistle IMPORTANT!

Post by Pam.B »

Thanks BJ.